Anthony Gordon

Jack27

17 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Who is he going to replace in the starting 11?

Longstaff maybe with Joelinton and Willock in the middle and Gordon on the wing? 

Eddie loves Longstaff though doesn't he

Does he have to replace anyone in that way ? Could we pick a starting 11 on a game by game basis depending on the opposition, tactics, rotation etc ?

We may end up without a first choice starting 11.

Some assuagement

The only transfer we've not aced was a needs must panic buy and they've monitored Gordon for a good while.

We definitely needed an injection

If he gets into the situations that Murphy has gotten into and with his pace he should, there will be a significant increase in positive outcomes it has to be said.

As it stands were better now than were.

Not going to pretend I'm delighted like. Don't think he's that good, think he's overpriced and certain we could have bought a better player who could have transformed the way we play. 

But I'm not going to bang on about it and hope he fits in and hits the ground running and improves us. He'll sign tomorrow and I genuinely hope he's class :)

Imagine a transfer window of Gordon and Maddison coming in, holy shitbags, that's some serious intent! I assume they'd replace Willock and Longstaff :indi:

(and I say 'replace', more that they'd be moved to being squad players, giving us much more strength in depth'. Not sure where it'd leave ASM though, I mean I can't imagine him being content with being a squad player for much longer)

Edited by Armchair Pundit

Fuck it, I was dead aginst this.  For no real reason other than I thought he was trouble and really dont like his attitude....

Reflected a bit - he has been there since 11, they are in the shit, he is getting shit - of course your form drops off.  He needs to get away from all that shit and might shine, might flop.

Pretty sure under Howe, he will shine.

If it happens, give him time... he could be amazing without the shackles... 

8 minutes ago, midds said:

Not going to pretend I'm delighted like. Don't think he's that good, think he's overpriced and certain we could have bought a better player who could have transformed the way we play. 

But I'm not going to bang on about it and hope he fits in and hits the ground running and improves us. He'll sign tomorrow and I genuinely hope he's class :)

Would kill for a wide forward with end product ala Mahrez

25 minutes ago, madras said:

Does he have to replace anyone in that way ? Could we pick a starting 11 on a game by game basis depending on the opposition, tactics, rotation etc ?

People love to say this. Apart from  Pep’s Allstars. Every other great side you can name they’re starting XI front to back. Give it or take 1 position. 

Arsenal are first in the league. I can name you their preferred XI right now. 

Apart from Pep. Most manages don’t switch personnel significantly based on opposition. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

People love to say this. Apart from  Pep’s Allstars. Every other great side you can name they’re starting XI front to back. Give it or take 1 position. 

Arsenal are first in the league. I can name you their preferred XI right now. 

Apart from Pep. Most manages don’t switch personnel significantly based on opposition. 

It will happen with Arsenal's Arteta rebuild or is Martinelli now a squad player 

36 minutes ago, madras said:

We may end up without a first choice starting 11.

Not the Eddie Howe way.

26 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

We’ve become a high pressing and high intensity team under Howe. The signing makes perfect sense and I think folk will be pleasantly surprised just how good this lad is.

Yep. Although I have certain reservations about the priority of the signing over a midfield all rounder. It would be hypocritical of me not to acknowledge he’s a great fit for the way we are playing Now. Much better than I feel Maddison would. Guessing from this signing this our style of play for much longer than just the foreseeable future.

56 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

ASM should be pretty embarrassed if he can’t nail down a first team place with this competition.

He should already be embarrassed that Joelinton has largely replaced him on the left wing.  I love Joelinton as a midfielder.  He is simply not a forward. This transfer provides cover for six positions. I hope it provides more scoring too.  

7 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Yep. Although I have certain reservations about the priority of the signing over a midfield all rounder. It would be hypocritical of me not to acknowledge he’s a great fit for the way we are playing Now. Much better than I feel Maddison would. Guessing from this signing this our style of play for much longer than just the foreseeable future.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but in his time with Everton, he's played on either side and even as a CAM for spells. I know Eddie has his preferred shape, but he must like the options he has with Gordon as well.

5 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

He should already be embarrassed that Joelinton has largely replaced him on the left wing.  I love Joelinton as a midfielder.  He is simply not a forward. This transfer provides cover for six positions. I hope it provides more scoring too.  

If both Wilson and Isak go down, Joelinton is our striker this season. No?

26 minutes ago, madras said:

It will happen with Arsenal's Arteta rebuild or is Martinelli now a squad player 

One of them will  much more often than the other over time (most likely) if both are fit. 

Liverpool have been amazing for 5 years. You could name their ideal team 10 out of 11 players. Maybe 9.  Ditto Real Madrid. Ditto even Tuchel’s Chelsea. 

Injuries and European football is the biggest factor for rotation