Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Looking at the Grand Old team thread it seems he’s really suffered this season from being played out of position, esp up front centrally. 

Ashworth has always made a thing of buying players for specific needs. I expect we have a much more define position for him and will look to play to his strengths. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Rafa's hardly finished at the top level though, Ancelotti could only get Everton to 11th, there are clearly bigger factors at play and the right environment is obviously a big factor. Look at Moyes and how he keeps going from success to failure to success, every day's a school day for managers that don't rest on their laurels.

The knowledge that Rafa has doesn't become worthless overnight and he's obsessed with football.

Rafa’s problem is that he picks the wrong club. It was never going to work out there. Sad to say it but in terms of winning trophies and managing at the top of the game, it was never going to work out here either. Glad he did come here though, love the bloke. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Rafa's hardly finished at the top level though, Ancelotti could only get Everton to 11th, there are clearly bigger factors at play and the right environment is obviously a big factor. Look at Moyes and how he keeps going from success to failure to success, every day's a school day for managers that don't rest on their laurels.

The knowledge that Rafa has doesn't become worthless overnight and he's obsessed with football.

Everton could've finished in Europe on the final day of Ancelotti's full season in charge tbf, they had the luck of being away at Man City on the final day.

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Everton could've finished in Europe on the final day of Ancelotti's full season in charge tbf, they had the luck of being away at Man City on the final day.

Luck? Tbf, everyone else had already played away to Man City and suffered 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Jawdaw said:

Luck? Tbf, everyone else had already played away to Man City and suffered 🤷‍♂️

Regardless they could've finished in Europe on the final day, and had their highest points total out of the last 5 years in Ancelotti's full season. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

21 minutes ago, Nine said:

They really are the scouse mackems.. player leaves and he’s unanimously shit :lol:

It's way too similar, there were a few in amongst the weeds saying it might not be wise to sell given their current position in the league. To blindly say that we've been fleeced, given the recent track record of our new management team, is peak (Scouse) Mackem. 

I have, some others on here do as well, a feeling he'll be fantastic under Howe and will develop into a top attacking player. For the goals Gordon's had off deflection, at least they weren't sent into the stratosphere like some of our lot do more often than not. 

8 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Aye, decent points total as well. A legendary manager getting you to 10th when you've spent a fortune is pretty damning though. I still maintain Rafa would have kept them up like, he made some daft decisions though and his ego was a problem 

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Theregulars is Edwards 

There can be no other explanation. He can't be his son as I don't believe he'd get withing 20 yards of the opposite sex without getting maced.

47 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Well, one of the strikers are at Man Utd now after having scored 2 goals in the WC quarter final. The other just got binned to Nottingham Forest. Easy to say in hindsight, but completely valid concern at the time imo. :lol:

My expectations of this transfer is pretty poor, so at least one positive is that I can only be surprised positively if he ends up doing well for us.

I prefer the selling team fans to be gutted when they lose a player. Vast majority are over the moon.

And that's just three recent random pages from their forum out of many. 

I’d recommend going into the Almiron or Joelinton threads on here from a year or so back, and then picture what might have been written it we’d sold them last January.

Everton are a shambles, and as we know only too well unhappiness at the club also bounces to the players.  I couldn’t give a flying one what they write, as I know where their minds are at present. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Aye, decent points total as well. A legendary manager getting you to 10th when you've spent a fortune is pretty damning though. I still maintain Rafa would have kept them up like, he made some daft decisions though and his ego was a problem 

Benitez was a bad appointment for Everton from the start, not even withstanding the Liverpool connection. I agree he more than likely would've ended up keeping them up but unless a club totally buys into him, trouble follows. When he goes to clubs, as soon as he has a disagreement with the CEO or DoF it reaches the press. That was good for us and we loved it because Ashley (and Liverpool because Hicks/Gilette), but that follows him wherever he goes. At the first point of a disagreement he'll try and dismantle the existing setup and bring people from within his inner circle in.

And with so many clubs operating with a DoF model or similar, I can't see him managing at the top clubs again unless he decides he can work in that setup. 

Trying to get a bit more excited about him - scored a couple of nice goals earlier in the season when Everton were showing a modicum of form. Good movement & tidy finishes.

The GoT thread on him from last season is still a mixed bag. Some calling him a bright spark in the side, some saying they don't think he's got what it takes, some saying their shite defensive tactics make it hard etc.

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Benitez was a bad appointment for Everton from the start, not even withstanding the Liverpool connection. I agree he more than likely would've ended up keeping them up but unless a club totally buys into him, trouble follows. When he goes to clubs, as soon as he has a disagreement with the CEO or DoF it reaches the press. That was good for us and we loved it because Ashley (and Liverpool because Hicks/Gilette), but that follows him wherever he goes. At the first point of a disagreement he'll try and dismantle the existing setup and bring people from within his inner circle in.

And with so many clubs operating with a DoF model or similar, I can't see him managing at the top clubs again unless he decides he can work in that setup. 

If you think about it, is there really any reason why Rafa being manager and DoF wouldn't work? 

1 hour ago, The Bonk said:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but in his time with Everton, he's played on either side and even as a CAM for spells. I know Eddie has his preferred shape, but he must like the options he has with Gordon as well.

A midfielder who can play 6&8 is what I meant. I’m not a fan of midfielders that are predominantly defensive.