Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Quite a decent article on the Athletic by their new Newcastle writer, looking at his stats, which from a defensive/pressing pov are even more impressive than Miggy’s. 

Not really an earth shattering revelation but just emphasises again that we’re targeting players that fit the team model, in direct contrast to the Ashley years.

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

Quite a decent article on the Athletic by their new Newcastle writer, looking at his stats, which from a defensive/pressing pov are even more impressive than Miggy’s. 

Not really an earth shattering revelation but just emphasises again that we’re targeting players that fit the team model, in direct contrast to the Ashley years.

This is the thing for me we seem to be recruiting players specifically to fit out style of play. He’ll immediately look better playing his proper position with proper support from elsewhere on the pitch. 

He’s been played all over the pitch for Everton due to their appalling squad building.

28 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

All jokes aside....

worzel111.thumb.jpg.276fa39c96e5ef29971afe50c6aa5f33.jpg

I'm right behind him, I think his energy, running, directness and pressing, not to mention skill will be great for Eddie and the lads. Bellamy springs to mind.

He's a kid. Trippier, BDB and the likes will turn him into the model pro by March.

I’m actually excited for the press to start gushing over him once Howie and the team have moulded him.

I’m actually wondering if Gordon is the eventual replacement of Almiron, maybe not immediately but eventually. Has played more on right than left, offers elite pressing and defensive work and an offensive part of his game that can be developabled + two footed. 

Edited by Kanji

Just now, Kanji said:

I’m actually wondering if Gordon is the eventual replacement of Almiron, maybe not immediately but eventually. Has played more on right than left, offers elite pressing and defensive work and an offensive part of his game that has fully developable + two footed. 

Certainly seems like he can cover both sides in the event of injury or loss of form from Miggy or ASM and that combined with his fitness and pressing i'm sure were key to EH wanting him, even if we did over-pay a bit in the end. I see the logic.