Anthony Gordon

Jack27

28 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Quite enjoying the thought of someone coming in here having not looked at any news and opening the forum to a 5 page Anthony Gordon thread expecting an actual link to him [emoji38]

:lol: Aye that wasn't nice.

Only way it would make sense to me is if Howe has decided he wants ASM to be the long term purple on the left, and Gordon would be a pacey hardworking type that can fill in when needed and give us some energy off the bench, so basically a Murphy replacement. I would have seen Diaby as a probable ASM replacement, but not Gordon.

He wouldn't be who I would choose but I'm not Howe and he's proven more than enough to me so far that he can take any player and make them into something exceptional.

So as long as the deal is a sensible one (fair price/fair contract/fair wage) for the club then I'll be interested to see how Gordon can do and trust that Eddie will get him playing well and to the standard we now expect.

8 minutes ago, Zero said:

I know many people would disagree but I rather have Gordon than Diaby.

Any particular reason other than a momentary lapse of all reasonable thought? Genuinely curious why you'd prefer Gordon, a diving creep who even Preston fans thought was shite, over a French international winger rated at 100m by Leverkusen?

Can't say he'd be my ideal signing but some of you seem to have learned absolutely nothing from the last year. :lol:

Gordon is 21 years old playing for a completely shite manager in a directionless shitshow of a team.

He's quick, hardworking and can play on both sides. Pretty confident Howe would turn him into an extremely productive player.

3 minutes ago, Shak said:

Can't say he'd be my ideal signing but some of you seem to have learned absolutely nothing from the last year. :lol:

Gordon is 21 years old playing for a completely shite manager in a directionless shitshow of a team.

He's quick, hardworking and can play on both sides. Pretty confident Howe would turn him into an extremely productive player.

We get it. But this guys been universally disliked on here for years [emoji38] In fact, I reckon most fans of other teams dislike him too. 

Gonna take time.

8 minutes ago, Shak said:

In a nutshell Shak. A player, a bit like Johnson at Forest, in need of some real coaching and a bit of humility. Howe probably one of the few coaches out there who could tap into this cunt's potential :thup:

3 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Any particular reason other than a momentary lapse of all reasonable thought? Genuinely curious why you'd prefer Gordon, a diving creep who even Preston fans thought was shite, over a French international winger rated at 100m by Leverkusen?

it’s more about the “type of player” that fits Howe’s tactics, and how Diaby plays in bundesliga. 

I know Gordon is a cunt. I know he is quite raw (or limited) that needs a lot of work. But from what I see from his game, his work rate and his defensive contribution are pretty impressive. He does fit well with Howes high line pressing tactics, and I know he would listen to Howe - this move is his lifeline. I think the comparison with Bellamy is spot on. If the quoted fee (35m + add on ) is real, then at worst it’s an upgrade on Murphy, at best he could be a solid starter. His home-grown status could be useful for future Europe completion as well. 

He is currently not good enough to change the game on his own, and needs to play in a system that he can fit in. I don’t think he is just an one-season wonder. 

For Diaby, I just want to ask, what’s the success rate of an Bundesliga attacking players joining other top leagues? He is fucking quick, rapid, with great dribbling. But I can assure you that he offers close to nothing on the defensive side, and his decision making is just unbelievably poor. He is NOT an upgrade for ASM. I don’t understand why any team would consider paying anything more than 50m for him. He could probably thrive in La Liga, but definitely not in EPL.

3 minutes ago, Zero said:

it’s more about the “type of player” that fits Howe’s tactics, and how Diaby plays in bundesliga. 

I know Gordon is a cunt. I know he is quite raw (or limited) that needs a lot of work. But from what I see from his game, his work rate and his defensive contribution are pretty impressive. He does fit well with Howes high line pressing tactics, and I know he would listen to Howe - this move is his lifeline. I think the comparison with Bellamy is spot on. If the quoted fee (35m + add on ) is real, then at worst it’s an upgrade on Murphy, at best he could be a solid starter. His home-grown status could be useful for future Europe completion as well. 

He is currently not good enough to change the game on his own, and needs to play in a system that he can fit in. I don’t think he is just an one-season wonder. 

For Diaby, I just want to ask, what’s the success rate of an Bundesliga attacking players joining other top leagues? He is fucking quick, rapid, with great dribbling. But I can assure you that he offers close to nothing on the defensive side, and his decision making is just unbelievably poor. He is NOT an upgrade for ASM. I don’t understand why any team would consider paying anything more than 50m for him. He could probably thrive in La Liga, but definitely not in EPL.

Fair enough. Can agree with at least some of that. It's one of those where, if there's any truth in it, I suppose we have to put personal feelings on the player aside and trust the coaching and recruitment staff know what they're doing. I tend to doubt it's a goer personally but we'll see.