Anthony Gordon

Jack27

24 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's become quite apparent that Howe still isn't really trusted by a fair few, which is astonishing really.

When you look back, though, it’s largely the same crowd that thought Howe was a poor appointment, Pope wasn’t any better than Dubs/a “waste” of our transfer budget when RW was much more urgent, Burn was massively underwhelming, that we shouldn’t be signing Villa’s “backup left back” (I definitely underrated Targett myself, mind), and that our summer business was “very disappointing”.

Some of them have been wrong to be negative on almost every single signing that wasn’t Bruno or Botman, Wood perhaps excluded (even though that’s up for debate), but it’s a win-win position to take.

We’ve got one in our office that is just unhappy about everything. I keep reminding him that we’re breaking records almost every week and now on the verge of Wembley, but he’s still fuming about Gordon and us not signing Perrone, Santos, Fresneda, etc.

3 minutes ago, worthy said:

Yeah what I mean by that is blindly following without any thought for yourself. Some people here have gone full RAWK whenever you are negative or post your views. Both ways to be fair but nevertheless.

I also agree with giving the manager that has performed well the tools he wants and think will get the job done, but the man isn’t perfect and it has shown at times, not that anyone can or should. He has done very well, is there luck involved? Yes. I mean now starts the hard part with us struggling to actually finish off games. Is Gordon a 50 million answer to the problems? I think not. I feel there is value to be had from other players around the world that would do the job much better. 

Alas, if we get him then hopefully I look like a twat. The last thing I would like to be is right in this instance. Cause with the right players we have a genuinely big shot at top 4. 

Yeah, that's fair.

For what it's worth, I don't believe he's being brought in as a final solution to our problems. I think he's a young player that the manager likes, and because of the situation at Everton he's become available, and they are trying to strike while the irons hot.

Unfortunately, signing the top tier quality players to solve some of the weaker areas of the team, is likely to be very difficult in January, and I'm expecting that to be sorted in the summer more so. Unless someone unexpectedly is made available.

I think outside of Gordon, we'll still be keeping an eye on other forwards and midfielders we like, but whether those deals can be done in Jan is a whole other issue. We'll probably end up with some loans for the time being, but lets see.

1 minute ago, Solitude20 said:

Even though most of us didn’t wish for him to be our big transfer target in this window, I like how we accepted him just because we have this blind trust in the management of our club.

That’s a fucking good thing. 

Aye, this is it. He wouldn’t be on my list at the prices quoted, but I do accept that I’m hardly qualified to judge. With the team we have in place they’ll have seen every bit of footage, done endless background checks, watched him live multiple times, and have financial models working out his market value.

They’ll also know our precise position in relation to FFP, which none of us have clue about. If the finances work, we’ll do the deal, if they don’t then they’ll move on.

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

When you look back, though, it’s largely the same crowd that thought Howe was a poor appointment, Pope wasn’t any better than Dubs/a “waste” of our transfer budget when RW was much more urgent, Burn was massively underwhelming, that we shouldn’t be signing Villa’s “backup left back” (I definitely underrated Targett myself, mind), and that our summer business was “very disappointing”.

Some of them have been wrong to be negative on almost every single signing that wasn’t Bruno or Botman, Wood perhaps excluded (even though that’s up for debate), but it’s a win-win position to take.

We’ve got one in our office that is just unhappy about everything. I keep reminding him that we’re breaking records almost every week and now on the verge of Wembley, but he’s still fuming about Gordon and us not signing Perrone, Santos, Fresneda, etc.

I feel sorry for anyone like that to a certain extent, it's pretty obvious that for them it's more about buying the shiniest toys and that they'll probably never get any joy out of this. 

I mean if you can't enjoy it now, when the whiplash from last season to this one is so extreme that no one should have had any time to take things for granted, I don't think you'll ever enjoy it. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Zero said:

Suggest some players that are available this window that could give us the answer at around 50m? I can’t think of much. Probably Harrison

My personal choices for spending money on the wing would be:

schjelderup (Bit late now, considering he went to Portugal but went dirt cheap)

Nusa (scoring in CL and showing that he is a winger on the rise)

Doku from Rennes, big shout.

Martin Terrier, another one we have been Linked with and can play all the way up front.

Using some of that 50 million on Trossards paycheck to lure him here would also have been worth it.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I feel sorry for anyone like that to a certain extent, it's pretty obvious that for them it's more about buying the shiniest toys and that they'll probably never get any joy out of this. 

I mean if you can't enjoy it now, when the whiplash from last season to this one is so extreme that no one should have had any opportunity to take things for granted, I don't think you'll ever enjoy it. 

It may never be as good as this again week-to-week, I’m almost certain of it. The polish is even wearing off a bit now after the high of last season’s bounce back and the electric start to this one. A couple of signings could cure that, of course.

But soon it’ll just be expected that we spend £100M on players, should be winning every single game and winning trophies, ala Manchester City. It’s inevitable.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's so difficult to understand.

The guy has us in third place in the Premier League with players most of us had given up on, or players we didn't rate that highly, performing at impossibly high levels.

It's clear as a manager he saw something in those players that he thought would work well for what he does, and so he'll know what players he wants to bring in that he can continue to get something extra out of that improves the team further.

Having said that. I can understand being slightly disappointed with links to a player you don't quite fancy, but some of the posts have been so certain in their assertions that it would be this huge mistake by the club and manager. I just don't see that at all.

3 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Terrier is out with a severe injury. Maybe you don't know more than a professional scout? [emoji38]

I was gutted about that injury man. There were some strong rumours the last day of the summer transfer window that we made a late play for him then. I think he would have been on our list for January.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I was gutted about that injury man. There were some strong rumours the last day of the summer transfer window that we made a late play for him then. I think he would have been on our list for January.

Think Pedro would have been another possibility this month as well if he wasn’t injured.

1 minute ago, worthy said:

I think it was due to me mentioning that we should have chucked some money at him, probably a typo

Aye.

I remember other than Terrier there is also a French young winger with huge potential in Lique 1

1 minute ago, Rich said:

It may never be as good as this again week-to-week, I’m almost certain of it. The polish is even wearing off a bit now after the high of last season’s bounce back and the electric start to this one. A couple of signings could cure that, of course.

But soon it’ll just be expected that we spend £100M on players, should be winning every single game and winning trophies, ala Manchester City. It’s inevitable.

:thup: We grew up in the Keegan era and I'm sure you had older generations telling you that it wasn't always like that and that we should enjoy it. I suppose that's our job to do that now. 

Twitter doesn't help like, that place is an enabler of the spoiled football fan mindset. Dunno if you read that class article by the Liverpool fan about it, but the same thing happened with them when they were winning the league, Champions League, and on the verge of doing a quadruple - even in those circumstances some of their fans on there wanted FSG out because they weren't spending what Man City and Man United were :lol: - it's mad like, it's as if to some the success is based on how much is spent in the transfer market on established players rather than what happens on the pitch or how players are developed. 

5 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Terrier is out with a severe injury. Maybe you don't know more than a professional scout? [emoji38]

Never said anything about him being 100% ready to play. It was just someone asking me if there is value to be found for the same money.

so settle down with your shitty “gotcha” moments :lol:

I’d like us to sign Gordon, no need to reiterate the reasons that are already cluttering up the thread and clearly expressed (have a scan if you need to, they are there amongst the bile and the humour). I’d wouldn’t want us to overpay though, for him or anyone actually. Think I’d rather slow build and settle for not quite having enough in the squad for the rest of the season and try and get our targets at the right/reasonable price in the summer.

Strikes me as I type this, it’s an odd position for a fan (success/quality starved one as we all are) to take. But nevertheless it seems to be how I feel. That said, I reserve the right to be raging for us to spend £50m on Gallagher and £100m on Osimhen in the summer! 

Ultimately I don't think this guy improves us to the degree his suggested price tag is, anywhere upwards of 25 million and it's almost an active hinderance to further activity. Howe will likely improve him, he's young and while I think his raw attributes are interesting (acceleration in short bursts, quick feet, willing runner/defending) for someone at 21, his odious on field character, willingness to flop and ill discipline (both mentally and positionally/tactically) are things I don't endorse at all.

If we do sign him, he gets supported, no question.

I despise the cunt. However I’m absolutely certain that IF he signs then I will convince myself that he will do well, which isn’t totally impossible. I’m pretty certain that all the “hate” goes out the window once/if he does sign. Fickle as fuck tbh. 

One thing to add. Never ever forget how massively important the environment is to a player, never mind a young one. That can totally change a player’s performances and belief. That simple change of scenery can really kickstart a player and if things start going reasonably well then it’s very often onwards and upwards from there. Can never say for certain in this case. But no matter what club/league how often has a player completely transformed over night? Many many times. Personally I wouldn’t go for him but it could prove to be a great signing even if we don’t see it now. Eased in, in a new positive environment where everyone is pulling in the same direction. an environment that isn’t chaotic and toxic and stressful. Good vibes all around can make a player so much more relaxed. Small steps forward can snow ball into very fast development.

30 minutes ago, NE27 said:

The general consensus on here when looking at players also appears to be take players clubs supporters views as a good benchmark.

I'd agree generally as they see them week in week out. But does feel like Gordon is the current poster boy for Everton's failures.

Mind, we give longstaff a hard time and maybe others see differently.

Yeah, I totally get this. However, we have people in charge that are actually serious about the scouting and background info they collect on players now, and so I just trust their judgement more than even what I might think of a player myself at the minute, and will be willing to see what they can do with any player they decide to bring in.

I remember when Howe came in and was bigging up Joelinton and Almiron, and for the most part we all probably just thought he was trying to lift them for the rest of the season and they'd be gone in the summer. At that point in time if any fan from another club came in here and went into the Joelinton or Almiron threads the general consensus would have been that they weren't anywhere near good enough.

Turns out Howe did actually really see something in the pair of them, and now look at what they are doing.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Think Pedro would have been another possibility this month as well if he wasn’t injured.

Yeah, absolutely. Really annoying that they are both out at the minute. 

2 minutes ago, worthy said:

Never said anything about him being 100% ready to play. It was just someone asking me if there is value to be found for the same money.

so settle down with your shitty “gotcha” moments :lol:

"100% ready to play" - out for the next ~6 months with a cruciate injury. Don't think it's very wise to spend a lot of money on a crocked player, tbh.