Anthony Gordon

Jack27

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If you think about it, is there really any reason why Rafa being manager and DoF wouldn't work? 

Because it hasn't wherever he's been that has that sort of system in place (by that I mean stories in the press, an air of disunity between him and the board or CEO etc). He's one who wants full control despite that clubs are moving toward a head scout/head of transfers/DoF model that works on transfers independent of the manager. I can't see clubs with those systems in place going for him. And that's most clubs at the top.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

A midfielder who can play 6&8 is what I meant. I’m not a fan of midfielders that are predominantly defensive.

Best defence is a good offence. (I'm kidding, but I also side with your thinking)

2 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

We've played most the season without ASM and Isak. So to be top 4 and have them two, Shelvey back and Gordon in for the last half of games doesn't seem all too bad. 

No Wilson for chunks too.

18 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Benitez was a bad appointment for Everton from the start, not even withstanding the Liverpool connection. I agree he more than likely would've ended up keeping them up but unless a club totally buys into him, trouble follows. When he goes to clubs, as soon as he has a disagreement with the CEO or DoF it reaches the press. That was good for us and we loved it because Ashley (and Liverpool because Hicks/Gilette), but that follows him wherever he goes. At the first point of a disagreement he'll try and dismantle the existing setup and bring people from within his inner circle in.

And with so many clubs operating with a DoF model or similar, I can't see him managing at the top clubs again unless he decides he can work in that setup. 

That's not true.

Everton yes

Newcastle yes (though Ashley lied to him time and time again) - Fans loved him

Liverpool yes (but Liverpool'd have gone under without Rafa sounding the owners out. H&G loaded the with a massive debt) Fans loved him

Inter perhaps (but it's complicated) - Fans loved him

Chelsea no

Real no (1st + B team manager)

China no

Valencia no

So it's not "whenever he goes"

1 minute ago, DanishGeordie said:

That's not true.

Everton yes

Newcastle yes (though Ashley lied to him time and time again) - Fans loved him

Liverpool yes (but Liverpool'd have gone under without Rafa sounding the owners out. H&G loaded the with a massive debt) Fans loved him

Inter perhaps (but it's complicated) - Fans loved him

Chelsea no

Real no (1st + B team manager)

China no

Valencia no

So it's not "whenever he goes"

rgk_lfc articulated this far better than I.

On 18/01/2022 at 18:13, rgk_lfc said:

The one aspect which is going to prevent Rafa from getting a job he deserves is the bolded part. I don't think he can work with people who is not in his own circle. Every club with some sort of ambition is moving towards a DOF model where the DOF and scouting operation is independent of the manager.  I was skeptical of the transfer committee initially but having experienced it for so many years, it makes so much sense. That model is here to stay. Given the amount of money in wages being spent on wages, it doesn't make sense to uproot the entire scouting operation, coaches, key members of the squad every time a manager is sacked. 

The problem with Rafa is that whenever there is a disagreement with the DOF or head scout or head of transfers, it immediately reaches the press. Within six to seven months, there is a situation where either back him or the DOF or head of transfers. The process repeats itself everywhere he goes. If I was a DOF, why would I recommend Rafa when I know the chances of me being fired increases as soon as he signs the contract. Conte is another manager with more recent success whom some of the top clubs are reluctant to hire because of the reputation of being "difficult". 

From my previous posts, you should know that I respect Rafa, the manager a lot, and Rafa, the human being even more, but I don't want anyone in his inner circle associated with LFC. There is nothing wrong with Owen Brown but I don't want anyone of his calibre as a head scout or any position of influence. The problem with Rafa is that at the first sign of disagreement, he will try to dismantle the existing setup and then the usual names will start popping up. He is still a great footballing thinker and one of the best tacticians around, you don't loose that, but I don't think the team (Assistant Managers, physio, etc.) he surrounds himself with is still worthy of running football operations at a club which has top level ambitions. 

havent seen much of gordon but i trust howe.

the kid needed to leave liverpool.

too much expectation and pressure on the kid to keep everton up single-handedly (with DCL perhaps).

watching that video of him being roadblocked and abused by fans... i wouldnt be surprised if his family had told him to get out and start again somewhere else.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Is Gordon leaving Everton, their Given leaving moment circa us 2008? 

Given was on course to have the most appearances for us in our history and left for glory only to end up at Aston Villa. Not comparable for me, more like Andy Carroll. 

15 minutes ago, Decky said:

Given was on course to have the most appearances for us in our history and left for glory only to end up at Aston Villa. Not comparable for me, more like Andy Carroll. 

Given deserved to try for some glory rather than getting an appearances record our wretched soulless club. 

15 minutes ago, Decky said:

Could be wrong, but I think he meant in terms of their survival hopes.

30 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

The good news is that hopefully this releases Joe back into midfield. We’ll have 2 absolute speed and pressing merchants out wide now. 

That is a very good point. Joelinton back into midfield for good now hopefully. Gordon should offer just as much in terms of pressing/defensive ability from that wide forward area as Joelinton does and obviously more than ASM.

IMO there's a reason you often choose to play homicidal pressing machines like this guy on the wing as opposed to through the middle.

He seems to run enough to cover the whole pitch no matter where he starts from, and having him on the wing makes it less likely that we'll lose our shape when he's out of position putting the fear of God in some poor fool trying to clear the ball.

In the short term he offers competition on the wings (I know I’m not the only one who thought we desperately needed a new winger in the summer).  I really like Longstaff and Willock (finishing excepted) but they both looked absolutely fucked vs Southampton - they’ve given the club 100% maximum effort for ages and you could see that their energy has been sapped.  Getting Joelinton back into midfield is needed to me - Gordon, ASM, Almiron, Murphy, Joelinton, give us plenty of wide options now - crucial when Howe plays a high press with wingers covering shitloads of ground doing it - even Willock or Isak could play there at a push. 

It really is going to take time to rebuild the side and the club; Ashley’s legacy isn’t going to be wiped overnight.  I think Gordon is a canny signing - though I will concede that I do think we’ve paid a bit more than what he’s really worth (£30m + add ons looks more like it to me) - but he’s young, English, fits Eddie’s high-speed high-press style of play (and can shithouse with the best of them), I’m looking for to seeing what the lad can do.  I just fucking love being excited about NUFC again - other club’s fans laughing at signings on Twitter just isn’t going to make a dent in that.  I’m too old to give a solitary shite about the views of the press or other clubs support.