Anthony Gordon

Jack27

10 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

My main reservation about Gordon is a question on whether he is the right type of player we need now.

If our problem is breaking teams down who sit back then a speed merchant isn't the answer, we need a lock picker or a posse of midfielders who can shoot from distance

We already have a lock picker in Bruno it’s just we need a CM so we can push him on 

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Can't see this happening due to price, especially if Todd is sniffing, but I think he'd be a good pick up for £20m or so. 

Was it not Tuchal that wanted him?  Not Potter?  might not be interested now.

Dislike the cunt but I want a signing done asap and if he was to actually sign he would have my support. He has pace and energy and work rate but I don’t see him being the creative option when teams sit back. Also doubts over his decision making and end product. I guess that can get better with time. Imo he’s immature and a bit of a reckless coward acting tough. Think there are better options out there. 25-30m is absolute max imo. 

Edited by Ikon

Main issue is I don’t see how anyone could have watched us struggle to create/score goals in recent weeks and think Anthony Gordon is the answer. The club have pretty much got every single decision right since the takeover, but I can’t really understand this decision. I could understand bringing him in as a squad option if we already had real quality out wide but relying on him to be a main source of creating/scoring goals is a huge risk. Still I will get behind the lad if he signs.

Does he play mainly on the left? 

Not my first choice but I’d give him a go. I think a lot of his bad behaviour has been because he cares about Everton and they’re going down the shitter. 

Hopefully will respond very well to our ethos and our coaching. 

32 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

My main reservation about Gordon is a question on whether he is the right type of player we need now.

If our problem is breaking teams down who sit back then a speed merchant isn't the answer, we need a lock picker or a posse of midfielders who can shoot from distance

This is it. We need finesse and genuine quality for right now.

Is that LW Leicester lad not a more developed version of Gordon?

22 minutes ago, Toonjam88 said:

We already have a lock picker in Bruno it’s just we need a CM so we can push him on 

When you only have one, they can be marked out the game.

I look at Arsenal. They have 3 players that are great at passing it through the lines from midfield. Zinchenko alongside Partey in 6 areas. Odegaard from more advanced areas. It's just wave after wave. We've only got one.

And we don't have the players to finish them off quality wise.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

When you only have one, they can be marked out the game.

I look at Arsenal. They have 3 players that are great at passing it through the lines from midfield. Zinchenko alongside Partey in 6 areas. Odegaard from more advanced areas. It's just wave after wave. We've only got one.

And we don't have the players to finish them off quality wise.

I honestly think finishing is a much bigger problem than creation. I heard on a podcast that our xG has been around 8 in the last few games and we've only scored 3.

Also anyone we pick is going to have to be very fit, athletic and mobile for the pressing game. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I honestly think finishing is a much bigger problem than creation. I heard on a podcast that our xG has been around 8 in the last few games and we've only scored 3.

Also anyone we pick is going to have to be very fit, athletic and mobile for the pressing game. 

Totally agree. For all we get players in the box, only Wilson shows consistent instinct to finish chances. Isak fit & starting with Wilson is a really good answer to our current finishing woes, imo. Problem there is we probably need to change shape a bit.

14 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Main issue is I don’t see how anyone could have watched us struggle to create/score goals in recent weeks and think Anthony Gordon is the answer. The club have pretty much got every single decision right since the takeover, but I can’t really understand this decision. I could understand bringing him in as a squad option if we already had real quality out wide but relying on him to be a main source of creating/scoring goals is a huge risk. Still I will get behind the lad if he signs.

This is where i'm at.

I understand the perspective of Plan A - but better. But that's not Gordon to me, he's not better than what we have.

I really want a 8/10 type player and a finished Isak level type wide attacker.

There's a week to go and the rumours are poor.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

This is where i'm at.

I understand the perspective of Plan A - but better. But that's not Gordon to me, he's not better than what we have.

I really want a 8/10 type player and a finished Isak level type wide attacker.

There's a week to go and the rumours are poor.

But isn't Gordon someone to just add to the options? It doesn't mean the club think he's the immediate answer to all our problems. 

We'll be in 4 competitions next season.

I'm not ecstatic about signing him but I think it's a decent move.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

https://www.sofascore.com/crystal-palace-newcastle-united/hO

Not a single "big chance" in the game which I think is a Xg of 0.3 or above. Schar had a 0.23 and Isak similarly - both decent headed chances iirc. The Xg is down to high accumulation of poor/decent chances.

But I agree with you in the sense - we need genuine quality in the attacking 3rd. Movement, creativity, technique, finishing etc.

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But isn't Gordon someone to just add to the options? It doesn't mean the club think he's the immediate answer to all our problems. 

We'll be in 4 competitions next season.

I'm not ecstatic about signing him but I think it's a decent move.

Given Chelsea, Spurs & Liverpool are having poor seasons it's a great opportunity to capitalise and nab a top 4 place.

I think we need 1 or 2 quality players to sustain a CL push. I think without it, we struggle to score and finish just out the top 4.

So for me, more of the same doesn't help. We need quality.

The club have made good decision after good decision. If we sign him i'll support him. But I don't like the thinking behind it.

Like a lot of people I’m not sure about Gordon. However, I wasn’t sure about Nick Pope or Dan Burn. So, what the heck do I know? I trust Eddie Howe and maybe this could be a similar signing; maybe he could get the best out of Gordon (he is quite young after all).

Also, got to remember he is playing in a shite team, which wouldn’t be the case if he come to us.