Anthony Gordon

Jack27

11 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

I think that image provides one of many data points and it doesn't speak well of either player really, irrespective of the team around them. Use it how you want. I also don't think Gordon passes the eye test either.

If the eye test is that he doesn't make them bleed when you look at his face, then I agree.

Gordon was Everton's best player when they came to SJP last season. 

I'm not mad about him, I'm just trying to add a bit of balance. I do think there's better options out there for the alleged fee, he'd be an instant upgrade on Murphy and has the potential ceiling to be a decent improvement on Almiron.

1 hour ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit;

u0khd3cr4fda1.thumb.png.ff1d5335d135b940b34bcca99a22459a.png

No buy. This guy isn't good enough and he's a cheating rat to boot.

Meaningless stuff a lot of this - football fans thinking that they're watching baseball.

And even with that, think about the only stats that really count for forwards; goals and assists in his PL career.  His assist ratio is better than Almiron's, and his goal ratio is similar - and that's allowing for Almiron's purple patch this season.  On that basis, looking only at those statistics, most would sign Gordon ahead of Almiron, given his age.  I wouldn't, but the point is that these comparatives are basically worthless.

If Howe wants him (no idea if he does), that's enough for me.  As fun as it is discussing this stuff on here, I'm at a loss when people state 'we shouldn't be signing X'.  I'll ultimately trust the man in the dugout.

6 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

I assumed people understood that is was one frame of reference amongst many. Guess not. It is indicative, not the whole picture.

No, there is no failure to understand.  People have picked and chosen statistics to back up their own opinion for as long as statistics have existed.  It isn't a comprehension issue.

Has there been any whiff of him causing trouble off the pitch? Apart from his dire dress sense, but hey seems to be an Everton epidemic. In a winning team managed by Howe you'd be buying the Gordon of last season not this one. Everything is toxic at Everton, those who escape it will lift themselves massively.

2 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Honestly think he'd be an absolute star here. 

I'd definitely trust Howe to develop and maximise the lad's talents if he joins.  Everton are a broken mess at the moment (we've been there and done that - we've seen what that can do to young players; there's no way that Ivan Toney or Mitrovic would be playing like there are at present if they'd continued their development at late-era Ashley NUFC)

I also believe he'd do really well here but understand people's reservations.

He's still so young and with our coaching he'd only get better and better.

I fully trust in our set-up so this next week could be very interesting.

(The only player I really wouldn't want is McTominay though, that'd be such a backwards step for us)