Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle United (21/01/2023)

Disco

19 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Once again for everyone at the back, a private Saudi company is completely different from the Saudi state.

About Us 

Saudi Egyptian Developers

Established in 1975 and presented a leading real estate position with strong innovated projects for the Egyptian market and as a result making it one of the companies within the filed.

Owned equally by the Saudi government and the Egyptian government with a capital mark of 1.9 billion EGP.

Not bad, but not that good a performance either. We did create chances, but maybe Palace have a voodoo that stops us getting an opening goal. That would change the game state and open things up for us.

As a disappointment, despite them playing in midweek, they finished the game stronger than us after their subs came on. I think we need more/better legs in midfield from the bench. This loss of midfield control stopped us getting the ball to Maxi and getting him into the game. Going back a few months, one of the home draws we had, it might have been Palace too, had a noticable twenty minute lull in the second half where our opponents brought on three and thereafter keep us at arm's length. We too need a player we can bring on to add bite and intensity to the middle.

We were solid as anything against yesterday but just couldn’t find the breakthrough. I actually thought Palace defended pretty well to be fair. We didn’t miss any sitters but we’ve become pretty predictable in certain aspects of play and we just aren’t being clinical enough in front of goal. Joelinton and Longstaff are never going to score loads and Miggy looks to have gone off the boil slightly. Wilson still looks like he’s still struggling for form too. We lack another option to Miggy on the right and another quality midfielder alongside Bruno who can open something up out of nowhere or hit one from outside the box.

Keiron Dyer is a berk but was spot on about the low block comments. It’s bloody hard to play against and you need top class players a la City. The way we find ways to play against the low block home and away will probably define much of the second half of the season. Changing things up (getting Saint involved more or trying Isak wide left of a 3) and some signings will make a big difference but it just shows how we’re evolving so quickly as a side that teams are playing like this against us. My only criticism of Howe would be that he could’ve changed it a bit earlier yesterday. 15 unbeaten though, onwards and upwards 👍

Edited by ExiledGeordie

49 minutes ago, BeloEmre said:

About Us 

Saudi Egyptian Developers

Established in 1975 and presented a leading real estate position with strong innovated projects for the Egyptian market and as a result making it one of the companies within the filed.

Owned equally by the Saudi government and the Egyptian government with a capital mark of 1.9 billion EGP.

That post by Ronson has been edited to include a different tweet. :lol: The original post had nothing about advertising boards, it was about 'a Saudi company' - might be referring to the same one though tbf

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Why did the Palace fans boo at the end of the game, was it because our fans out sang them ? 

Watching it on TV I thought the home atmosphere sounded good?? Could definitely hear the home fans throughout the game.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Feels like this just further highlights the lack of quality in the box.

It isn't just the finishing.  It is the speed the chances are created to allow the space for our players.  All of that is contributing to us under-performing our XG.

I get that Isak is being broken in gently, but the sooner he is in the starting 11, the better.  He's gonna help immeasurably. 

Edited by David Edgar

2 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

He's also saying Almiron is shooting from poor positions which was infuriating yesterday.  Was really, really, really poor by Almiron.  Proper overconfidence vibes.

I think another option to play that side would really help us someone who does something a bit different to Miggy (and to challenge for that position)

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Aye people grief the Palace fans because of their drums but they sound great imo. A bit continental.

I hate monotonous chanting with no rhythm.

Drums are fine imo. Might actually be necessary at st James’ to get our songs sung at the proper pace. The problem with Palace and now Asenal though, is they look like cosplayers. The difference between what WF do and what Palace and Arsenal do is by hat often WF’s displays are rooted in local culture, where as they look like they’re trying to be Polish or something which doesn’t come accross as authentic.

Disappointed with a draw but I think we’re just about reaching the limit of what you can expect from the same 14-15 players. The squad has been coached brilliantly but coaching has a ceiling, positionally we are brilliant, but average players will keep their average touch, pass, shot etc. We’re desperate for options as all can see, Howe is very limited in terms of rotation and I think Miggy, Wilson, Trippier to name a few would benefit hugely from rotation. 

it is what it is. We’re obviously unprepared for a confident top 4 surge but we’re still up there and so early into a new project. I’m still very happy overall and optimistic, we just need time and transfers and a game like yesterday turns into a win. 

We controlled the game well, limited them brilliantly, the signs are there that we will be absolutely brilliant with some additions. 

Just on Miggy, but has ASM ever played on the right with Bruno and Trippier in the team? Those two might turbo boost him. They are credited with helping Miggy come good.

I think it would be worth trying, even just for twenty minutes or so.

3 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Just on Miggy, but has ASM ever played on the right with Bruno and Trippier in the team? Those two might turbo boost him. They are credited with helping Miggy come good.

Miggy is always running while ASM always wants the ball in his feet. Can’t see him being effective on the right side tbh.

Guest reefatoon
11 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Actually thought ASM was going to come on in place of Almiron as he was probably our poorest performer alongside Wilson. Was a little surprised to see it was Willock.

20 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Actually thought ASM was going to come on in place of Almiron as he was probably our poorest performer alongside Wilson. Was a little surprised to see it was Willock.

Howe would be cautious about losing Longstaff’s defensive contribution and is probably ever hopeful re Miggy doing his (recent) thing. Think he was explaining something similar to little Joe, when he can off. A kind of ‘You’ve done nothing wrong…’ apology. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

The Homeslice Nawty Boyz stayed behind to abuse the players on to the bus according to Paperback. 

Odd behaviour for a group of middle aged men, even those who like to play with megaphones and sniff bus seats. 

I thought Trippier had an average game yesterday compared to his usual level. His passes and defending just wasn’t quite there.

miggy flattered to deceive yesterday, there was a couple of times when he shot that a pass or one-two would have been much better options.

Joe willock just didn’t get the rub of the green for me, had an excellent gane and thought longstaff should have been subbed instead of him.

Palace are well organised and were difficult to break down but we should have beaten them considering how we dominated them for at least two thirds of the playing time.

Going forward I think we need an out and out number 10, a tricky player with an eye for a pass and also some competition for the wings.

I watched leicester yesterday and thought madison really works hard for the team and has that assist pass in him.

Although I really rate longstaff’s work on the pitch, his final ball and shooting are pretty awful tbf. An upgrade in the no6 position is also a must.