Southampton vs. Newcastle United - 24/01/23 @ 8pm - League Cup SF, 1st leg (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, black_n_white said:

No way is Wilson getting dropped for the biggest game of the season so far

Not arsed either way, two good options (how many times have been able to say that!) and not sure whether Wilson needs more minutes or stood down for a bit. I have a sneaky feeling, based on nowt in particular, that Isak will start. 

Again, I hate to stress this, but we aren't conceding goals, which is kinda crucial going into a semi final away leg. Who gives a fuck if this ends 0-0?

Keep the side unchanged and worst case we go to SJP with a clean sheet.

16 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I’m absolutely shutting myself now. So nervous, and have been since yesterday morning.

I’ve gone from a brimming with confidence, firm belief, that we’ll definitely beat Southampton and fancying to beat either of the  other two in the final, to angsting over how all three seeming massively improved and how we’re having a terribly-timed loss of form. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

15 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I’ve gone from a brimming with confidence, firm belief, that we’ll definitely beat Southampton and fancying to beat either of the  other two in the final, to angsting over how all three seeming massively improved and how we’re having a terribly-timed loss of form. 

They had 36% possession on Saturday and 8 shots to Villa’s 16. Won 2 of their last 14 league games.

I’m not saying we will win, because there’s absolutely a chance they could turn us over, especially considering what they did to Man City. But if over the two legs we play anywhere near the level that we’ve played over the last 38 league games then we should be confident.

Edited by bowlingcrofty

Southampton were beginning to improve lately, and they did knock out City in the last round. Whether or not City were arsed about it is another story. 

Maybe the Villa loss at home has knocked them again? Either way, we could do with a good win to bolster ourselves. 

We're fully capable of it, but I'd take a draw and get the job done back home if that's how it has to be. And yes, that Saturday off is a bonus. 

We'll worry about the final as and when! 

3 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Weirdly calm about this. Not even in the sense of being sure we'll win, I'm just glad we're in this position in the first place. Can guarantee by tomorrow I'll be shitting it.

Same

I'm strangely calm but it could be the calm before the storm

I guess I just really trust Howe to get it right across the 2 legs