Southampton vs. Newcastle United - 24/01/23 @ 8pm - League Cup SF, 1st leg (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Wife had to get a train to London for work this morning at 8am.

"Is there a game on or something? Train is rammed full of blokes with crates".

"Yeah, they'll be heading to Southampton".

"FFS" :lol:

Quite enjoying the updates. Apparently quite a few of them missed the train (which is a Lumo. So good luck getting on another train without paying). And now they're booting off because they didn't get tickets for next week. Odd, if they've got tickets for the away game you'd think they'd have plenty of points...or maybe they don't and they've been sold on :frantic:

31 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Points were irrelevant for next week, it was pure luck of the draw/ballot.

Yea but if they are going to the away game they must be ST holders, and therefore should easily have claimed their seat for the home game aswell.

31 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Wife had to get a train to London for work this morning at 8am.

"Is there a game on or something? Train is rammed full of blokes with crates".

"Yeah, they'll be heading to Southampton".

"FFS" :lol:

Quite enjoying the updates. Apparently quite a few of them missed the train (which is a Lumo. So good luck getting on another train without paying). And now they're booting off because they didn't get tickets for next week. Odd, if they've got tickets for the away game you'd think they'd have plenty of points...or maybe they don't and they've been sold on :frantic:

Take your point, although it also seems a bit odd they were able to source an away ticket by whatever means, but not a home ticket?

Surely a lot easier to find someone to sell you on one of 50k than 3k?

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

Take your point, although it also seems a bit odd they were able to source an away ticket by whatever means, but not a home ticket?

Surely a lot easier to find someone to sell you on one of 50k than 3k?

Most I know who are away regulars don't have season tickets but they know people that apply for every away game ( to guarantee getting tickets) and know they can offload tickets they don't use.

Edited by madras

Just now, madras said:

Most I know who are away regulars don't have season tickets but they know people that apply for every away game and know they can offload tickets they don't use.

Surely they could ask the same people to get them a home ticket then, given all ST holders could get an extra one?

54 minutes ago, buzza said:

TBH I would rather Maxi started on the left today and Joe dropped into midfield.

We have lacked a cutting edge up front lately and I think Maxi must be chomping at the bit to show he merits a place in the team

That’s how I see it. If he starts and they’ve got to try and stop him while thinking about the Trips/Miggy combo on the other side we’re running these over. 

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

Surely they could ask the same people to get them a home ticket then, given all ST holders could get an extra one?

Nope. Season ticket holders could only get their own seat until Monday then they went opento ST holders to change seats or get another and they sold out pretty quick.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Nope. Season ticket holders could only get their own seat until Monday then they went opento ST holders to change seats or get another and they sold out pretty quick.

Well, yeah, but they didn’t sell out that quick. Plenty of ST holders were able to get an additional one. I did. Fair enough, maybe the people they get their away tickets from weren’t able to get online yesterday morning, but I still think if they’ve got enough connections to get away tickets it shouldn’t have been that hard to get a home ticket.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Well, yeah, but they didn’t sell out that quick. Plenty of ST holders were able to get an additional one. I did. Fair enough, maybe the people they get their away tickets from weren’t able to get online yesterday morning, but I still think if they’ve got enough connections to get away tickets it shouldn’t have been that hard to get a home ticket.

Some will, some won't, those that miss out will whinge.

I received a message at 1150 on Monday from a friend (ST holder who takes his dad to cup games) who'd waited to get an extra ticket saying they'd sold out and he couldn't even get his own.

I know they beat Man City, but I'm not sure if there will be a better chance on paper to make a major final. They are as long as 9/2 even to win tonight's match at their place. Any Newcastle win and we are obviously massively in the driving seat. A draw and we'll be strong favourites to progress. A 1 goal defeat would be poor , but wouldn't be a disaster and I'd be reasonably confident of turning it around at home, a 2 goal defeat and they'll be favourites, but still doable, but a 3+ defeat and that will be a nightmare.

I'm kind of relaxed about it, probably more so because it won't officially be decided tonight, and a chance to put things right if it does go wrong, but also even though a semi final is generally the worst time to exit a tournament as you don't even get to be part of a showpiece event and in the history books, I'm pretty sure there will be a fair few other semi finals in the coming season (especially if we do regularly qualify for the Europe, and all the CL / EL drop outs and stuff), so a bit less pressure from that perspective (from my POV). Still a massive night though, and hopefully we can make a first major final in a generation.

Edited by Paullow

2 hours ago, SteV said:

That quick? They must have been gone by 11.15. After the initial ST period it became a lottery as we've discussed elsewhere. If you don't hold a ST it's one thing asking someone with sufficient points to help you for an away game when they have a decent period of time to claim it, but another thing to ask someone to take time out of their lives to be online at 10am on a certain day to sit in an online queue where demand hugely outstrips supply. The majority will have secured  their own seat initially.