Southampton 0-1 Newcastle United (24/01/2023)

Disco

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Weird old game that. First half was a non-event. Second we lost control, but could have easily scored two or three had Joe not fallen to bits for the first.

ASM and Isak had them on toast when they came on.

A non-event?

We scored a goal that should have been allowed, had we scored it I think Southampton would have folded and we would be walking out 3/4-0 winners.

We had other chances alongside that, and Southampton should have been down to 10 men because the foul on Miggy and the covering defender was behind Miggy and not getting to him.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The tie's not over by any means. Definitely need another switched on, professional performance, hopefully with much improved finishing.

Joelinton should have a hattrick really and it should be dead and buried with us going back with a 4 or 5 goal lead. Pope was brilliant, with another keeper that's potentially an absolute sickener of a result.

Pope: 10

Trippier: 8

Schar: 8.5

Botman: 7.5

Burn: 5

Bruno: 8

Longstaff: 5

Willock: 5.5

Joelinton: 8

Wilson: 5

ASM: 8

Isak: 8

Love Nick pope. Potentially in big trouble if not for him.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Trippier 8 Burn 5?  Woof, that’s harsh on Burn and not anywhere near where I’d have Trippier :) 

Definitely. Everything went through Trippier, Schar, and Bruno. Burn had a poor one in all aspects I thought.

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It’s crackers how wasteful we’ve been lately [emoji38]

It's not really. Wilson is our only real natural goal scorer, and if they mark him out of the game we are left with Willock, Longstaff, Miggy and Joelinton. Miggy's been brilliant this season, but is that his game? Isak might step that up.

I thought all of our midfield struggled tonight. Probably fatigue more than anything. No idea how Bruno was MotM, thought he had a poor game.

Would have personally given that to Pope.

St Maximin and Isak looked really sharp.  Glad we got the result.  Rode our luck at times!

A couple of signings needed to lift us up again. Although we “controlled” the game to a majority, we were never at the races until isak and maxi came on. Joe is far better left cm snd maxi in front.

felt sorry for willock as end product was awful but the intent was there.

Bruno also had an average outing as well as Big dan who looked a yard off.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Definitely. Everything went through Trippier, Schar, and Bruno. Burn had a poor one in all aspects I thought.

I don't think he was noticeably bad but I agree with you, he was probably our weakest player today, Walker-Peters had him on toast several times.

BTW is Southampton go down, we should get Walker-Peters as a Trippier cover.

4 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I thought, barring a rough edgy 10 mins, we were REALLY good in all phases apart from the penalty area. Isak and Maxi were both class when they came on.

Going to be an electric atmosphere next week, especially if we grab an early goal!

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Leftback99 said:

Just realised the final of this is 3 days after the 2nd leg against Barca. We're gonna be running on fumes by then if we make it.

Yes but hopefully can keep as many of key players fit as possible. Will be lucky to do that with such a hectic schedule let's be honest.

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

No game at the weekend may just be a blessing in disguise. Players looked leggy. ASM and Isak swung it back into our favour, both must start next week. 

I think it's huge. We can have a nice rest and then train and prepare for the game.