Southampton 0-1 Newcastle United (24/01/2023)

Disco

Yeah, there are a few reasons why I'd want Man Utd to get through to the final as well.

We're obviously not there yet, and of course, if we do, pure odds wise we'd be favourites to win the cup (against Forest) as opposed to slight underdogs (which will come with it's own pressures...), but just generally more chance on paper that we would return triumphant.

However, if Man Utd won (and played us in the final) then that would lock up a European spot in the league - if Forest won the cup then it would only go down to 6th, and would just need take a Brighton or Leicester winning the FA Cup and then only 5th place would get Europe and not 6th.

Newcastle vs Forest would be an interesting match with two big city teams with decent history, but Newcastle vs Man Utd would feel the bigger match generally, and would be brilliant to beat then in the final.

We'd also be far better placed to win than in both the 98 or 99 finals when as a midtable side we met the newly crowned league champions, but if we did lose then it wouldn't feel as much of a missed opportunity than potentially losing to a team battling relegation for much of the season, which would sting for ages.

Probably just about want Forest to win to increase our chances, but I'm not really fussed and see advantages / opportunities either way.

That said, we obviously need to finish the job on Tuesday before worrying about potential final opponents. I would like tonight's match to still be live after 90 mins though. A Man Utd win, especially be 2+ goals and it will effectively be over.

Edited by Paullow

1 hour ago, madras said:

Get the feeling sooner or later we are going to give someone a proper hiding, like a 6 or 7 thrashing.

Yeah I agree, we've had a good few 0-0s and 1-0s that should have been 6s or 7s, then you think back to the Brentford 5-1 and it was almost the opposite, where it didn't have the feel of a 5-1 at all really. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

43 minutes ago, Choppy Chop Chop said:

Please stop jumping the gun, We have not gotten there yet, and when you have seen us be beaten by Bedford & Hereford you always expect the worse 

Bet you're fun at parties. 

Everybody stop getting carried away having won the first leg of a semi final! 

If you can't get excited a d carried away now... I feel a bit sorry for you.  Get as much enjoyment as you can out of our situation man. 

53 minutes ago, Wilson said:

If you can't get excited a d carried away now... I feel a bit sorry for you.  Get as much enjoyment as you can out of our situation man. 

I'm thrilled to bits, just think the presumption we are in the final is dangerous, Eddie Howe hopefully will keep the teams feet on the ground, As for feeling sorry for me Jog on pal  I'm well and good and even at 70 I can party with the best of them 

1 hour ago, Choppy Chop Chop said:

I'm thrilled to bits, just think the presumption we are in the final is dangerous, Eddie Howe hopefully will keep the teams feet on the ground, As for feeling sorry for me Jog on pal  I'm well and good and even at 70 I can party with the best of them 

No doubt Eddie has them focused... they'll be under no illusions. 

I'm imagining PIF doing a Mr Burns if we get to the final

longstaff.thumb.png.adbf4badac3518132457868de0328e2f.png

You're Jude Bellingham!

Yes.

You play midfield

Yes.

I play midfield too.

So?

Well, are you better than me?

Well, I've never met you, but... yes.

Edited by joeyt

29 minutes ago, Beren said:

Reading back through the thread :aww:

Struggling to figure out why a GIF I've never posted in this thread is linked to my request for a Forest away ticket in the ticket forum, mind. :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

12 hours ago, Wilson said:

Trust me, if the poster saw us lose to Bedford in the FA Cup, they’ve been watching long enough to not want to jinx it

19 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Does Trippier going to drag Isak away from our fans when he jumps the boards? ('don't get carried away' I imagine)

Likely doesn’t want him to get injured