Southampton 0-1 Newcastle United (24/01/2023)

Disco

1 minute ago, Hudson said:

You need burning on a cross for that though even passing you fingers. 

Mate, I've been working hard as fuck to even get this lad to care about football, now he's pretty much a visit to SJP from becoming a proper Newcastle fan. Of course I want us to get to the final, but if we don't, it'll mean I'll get to bring him to an experience he'll never forget.

Just now, Nobody said:

Mate, I've been working hard as fuck to even get this lad to care about football, now he's pretty much a visit to SJP from becoming a proper Newcastle fan. Of course I want us to get to the final, but if we don't, it'll mean I'll get to bring him to an experience he'll never forget.

Understand the personal importance. 

Just don’t forget there will be many many more to come in the next few years 

Guest reefatoon
Just now, Miercoles said:

Thought we looked fucking ragged today. Glad there's a full week to recover.

First time I've ever seen Almiron looking tired.

Thought he has looked poor the last few games. Definitely needs a rest.

Guest reefatoon
Just now, IzzyIsak said:

We will win about 6-0 next week then lose on penalties in the final.

As if anyone is putting the ball past Pope.

Southampton won't be able to play the low block at SJP needing to get something from this game, they'll be all out to score early and leave the space in behind we thrive on. Going to be a much more open game than tonight.

5 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Almiron, Wilson and Willock looked leggy

Yeah, the midfield and forwards fitness in particular atm is really getting stretched. The high output style is so effective but takes its toll after this many games, squad isn’t deep enough to cope.

Edited by Nine

Just now, Mattoon said:

Southampton won't be able to play the low block at SJP needing to get something from this game, they'll be all out to score early and leave the space in behind we thrive on. Going to be a much more open game than tonight.

They will play the low block and hope to nick an equalizer and take it to pens 💯 

Just now, cubaricho said:

They will play the low block and hope to nick an equalizer and take it to pens 💯 

I think they'll start the game that way but as time goes on and they can't find a way through or if we get an early goal it'll open up.

9 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Thought we looked fucking ragged today. Glad there's a full week to recover.

First time I've ever seen Almiron looking tired.

Yeah he was blowing out his arse about 10 minutes into the second half when he pulled out of chasing a through ball, not a good sign when you've just come back out after the break.

There's a good few need a rest, he's definitely one of them.

Probably a fairish result on balance - I think a draw would have been not unjust, but a 2-0 would have been just. Ridiculous disallowed goal for us, unlucky one for them. I’ve wondered for a few weeks whether the finishing being off is due to energy levels dropping and I’m now convinced that’s the case, we looked out of gas for 20 mins in the second half and our press wasn’t effective. Longstaff and Willock both need spells out of the side, and it’s now time to bring Isak and ASM into the starting fold. Botman had a poor game for me, as did Burn. Schär was our best player for me. Wilson looks haunted, not sure what’s happened. 

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Probably a fairish result on balance - I think a draw would have been not unjust, but a 2-0 would have been just. Ridiculous disallowed goal for us, unlucky one for them. I’ve wondered for a few weeks whether the finishing being off is due to energy levels dropping and I’m now convinced that’s the case, we looked out of gas for 20 mins in the second half and our press wasn’t effective. Longstaff and Willock both need spells out of the side, and it’s now time to bring Isak and ASM into the starting fold. Botman had a poor game for me, as did Burn. Schär was our best player for me. Wilson looks haunted, not sure what’s happened. 

Hope it’s not long Covid. Been there; it is awful. Tired for months.

12 minutes ago, IzzyIsak said:

So do i but it's what we do.

No it isn’t 

You need to change your mindset from the old NUFC. 

The new owners have, the manager and coaches have, the players have. 

It’s our turn to be more positive now too 

3 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Why was Bruno booked? I was confused by that as all I saw was him walking away.

He went up and seemed to laugh very sarcastically at the guy as he was sent off. A yellow card was fair enough.

A very feisty game, and the ref will need to be very firm next week. 

Our lads seemed mentally tired in the second half. They play at the limit of their abilities, and the week's break will do them some good.