Newcastle United vs. Southampton (1-0 agg.): 31/01/23 @ 20:00 - League Cup SF, 2nd leg (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

6 hours ago, Rich said:

Assuming everyone would bring Isak and Maxi in for this?

Wilson and Willock benched?

Yes. Think it would be perfect for this game. As they will have to attack at some point. So we’ll get plenty of space.

But I think it will be unchanged. 

7 hours ago, Rich said:

Assuming everyone would bring Isak and Maxi in for this?

Wilson and Willock benched?

I don’t know. I absolutely see why you would, but the team looked impenetrable first half. Not saying bringing them two in necessarily effects that, but Howe always seems reluctant to change something that’s working.

Having said that, Isak is going to have to be starting regularly at some point soon you feel.

I wonder how Southampton approach the fa cup game at the weekend. This game is still winnable, 1-0 is nothing really. I’m assuming they’ll rest most of their players and aim to get to the final? 

3 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I wonder how Southampton approach the fa cup game at the weekend. This game is still winnable, 1-0 is nothing really. I’m assuming they’ll rest most of their players and aim to get to the final? 

They’ve got loads of players, who to my untrained eye, are all loosely the same standard and ultimately inconsistent as fuck so I don’t think they gain or lose much in swapping it about a bit apart from JWP, KWP and Salisu.

3 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I was wondering this, they have a winnable game in the FA Cup against Blackpool, but on the flip side they have Brentford the Saturday after the second leg, which will realistically be their priority, will be interesting to see what their intensity is like next week.

Dream team for this:

Pope

Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn

Willock, Bruno, Joelinton

Miggy, Isak, Maxi

Maxi, Isak and Miggy with license to rotate / cross over each other.

High energy high press from the front players and midfield.

The worlds best back 5 left with very little to do other than high five each other for snuffing out any long balls over the top.

On the hour, when we are 5 nil up swap Maxi for Wilson and move Isak out wider and go for the jugular for a full Southampton destruction....