Newcastle United vs. Southampton (1-0 agg.): 31/01/23 @ 20:00 - League Cup SF, 2nd leg (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

53 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Didn't realise just how short the odds on us to go through are, bloody hell :kasper: 1/25, or a 96% probability that we're in the final.

Of course they are. Southampton have no chance 1) against us and 2) already one nil down.

Everyone has to be feigning that they're nervous, right? Like there's no way it's real that people are actually nervous? :lol:

6 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Of course they are. Southampton have no chance 1) against us and 2) already one nil down.

Everyone has to be feigning that they're nervous, right? Like there's no way it's real that people are actually nervous? :lol:

I'm only in my early thirties and no doubt the old timers on here will have more experience of it than me, but that kick in the teeth, punch in the stomach, wrecking ball in the nads that NUFC can provide by snatching defeat from the jaws of almost certain victory is downright incredible. 

Frankly I'd be worried if we were 5-0 up from the first leg and playing Southampton Women's U18s. Yes, new era, new owners, Eddie, all that... but as I think Glenn Roeder said during his stint as manager, failure is almost stitched into our badge.

Edited by Pilko

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Nervous for this don’t think it’s going to be straight forward, think we’ve got enough fire power to get it done in the end though.

If ever we needed an early goal in a game it's this one. If it stays at 0-0 well into the 2nd half the tension will be unbareable knowing they just need a goal to take ir to pens.

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

If ever we needed an early goal in a game it's this one. If it stays at 0-0 well into the 2nd half the tension will be unbareable knowing they just need a goal to take ir to pens.

Without wanting to sound like the grim reaper it only takes a daft red card and the match is turned on it’s head. This is my main fear there seemed to be quite a bit of needle at the end of the 1st leg. Still think we’ll go through but I’ll be amazed if it’s a formality, they’re also 1 game from Wembley and will throw the kitchen sink at it which makes them dangerous.

Edited by Whitley mag

58 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

How long have you been a Newcastle fan? :lol: Genuine question, not a leading one btw. Even in the Keegan years we fucked up situations like this.

16 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Without wanting to sound like the grim reaper it only takes a daft red card and the match is turned on it’s head. This is my main fear there seemed to be quite a bit of needle at the end of the 1st leg. Still think we’ll go through but I’ll be amazed if it’s a formality, they’re also 1 game from Wembley and will throw the kitchen sink at it which makes them dangerous.

Or a daft free kick on the edge of the box ripe for JWP. I'm expecting a nervy night. Hope the crowd are up for it and don't just wave their scarves before the match then sit in silence.

3 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Or a daft free kick on the edge of the box ripe for JWP. I'm expecting a nervy night. Hope the crowd are up for it and don't just wave their scarves before the match then sit in silence.

If it’s not raucous tomorrow night I don’t know why people even bother going, it’s nights like this we’ve all waited years for.

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

If it’s not raucous tomorrow night I don’t know why people even bother going, it’s nights like this we’ve all waited years for.

It won't be unless we score early 

52 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

How long have you been a Newcastle fan? :lol: Genuine question, not a leading one btw. Even in the Keegan years we fucked up situations like this.

20 years next month.

We, and football, are a much different kettle of fish now compared to any KK/SBR type days.

And we've only lost 7 matches total since the loss to Cambridge on Jan 8th, 2022.

I just feel like people keep saying that they're nervous to try and show how much they care or some sort of reverse jinx thing. We don't need it. We're a vastly better squad only heading in one direction while they're headed in the opposite and we're starting the match, at home, with a one goal advantage. Of course the odds of us getting to the final are around that 95% mark.

Edited by cubaricho

7 minutes ago, petenufc1985 said:

It will be, this is arguably the biggest game at SJP since 1976.

Think the only one that rivals it is Man Utd in 96. Obviously wasn’t quite as do or die, but I think everyone felt in we won, that would probably be the title. 

Suppose Marseille in 04 as well, but with it being the first leg it wasn’t quite the same

4 minutes ago, SteV said:

Think the only one that rivals it is Man Utd in 96. Obviously wasn’t quite as do or die, but I think everyone felt in we won, that would probably be the title. 

Suppose Marseille in 04 as well, but with it being the first leg it wasn’t quite the same

Man U 96 the place was full and rocking a good half hour before kick off. Mind a bit like the team we shot our load in the first half and think everyone was fucked by half time.

4 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

That should concern you. Always did me. 'why aren't I nervous? I'm asking for it'

Won 2-0 mind

:) Just learned to control it I guess. Taking all emotion out of it, I just don't see anything other than us going through, so might as well back my judgement.

Last time I can remember having a proper shock was Partizan Belgrade. Feel queasy thinking about it.

Like the first leg, it hasn't quite hit me yet. But as soon as I start watching, I'll be bricking it. To get to Wembley just over a year into our new era would be so fucking class. I don't think that's gonna be lost on the staff or players. We'll be bang up for this, and who the fuck should we fear at home?