Newcastle United vs. Southampton (1-0 agg.): 31/01/23 @ 20:00 - League Cup SF, 2nd leg (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

36 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

20 years next month.

We, and football, are a much different kettle of fish now compared to any KK/SBR type days.

And we've only lost 7 matches total since the loss to Cambridge on Jan 8th, 2022.

I just feel like people keep saying that they're nervous to try and show how much they care or some sort of reverse jinx thing. We don't need it. We're a vastly better squad only heading in one direction while they're headed in the opposite and we're starting the match, at home, with a one goal advantage. Of course the odds of us getting to the final are around that 95% mark.

Football is way too unpredictable to, as a fan, be confident with a 1-0 lead going into any game. As has been said, a daft red card and all of the sudden it's a completely different game. Plus we haven't really been firing on all cylinders since the WC break.

Of course I think we'll go through, but not to that extent. 

I'm a bit nervous. I'm definitely pretty confident and do think we will most likely win. But I'm nervous about the pressure - it just takes one goal from southampton from a corner or something, us still missing our shooting boots and we end up in a penalty shootout that could go anywhere. I think Partizan burned me. With the away goal and lead there I didn't have a lot of doubt - I went to get the CL patch on my shirt, but they didn't have them in yet.

4 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I'm a bit nervous. I'm definitely pretty confident and do think we will most likely win. But I'm nervous about the pressure - it just takes one goal from southampton from a corner or something, us still missing our shooting boots and we end up in a penalty shootout that could go anywhere. I think Partizan burned me. With the away goal and lead there I didn't have a lot of doubt - I went to get the CL patch on my shirt, but they didn't have them in yet.

We’ll be alright, mate. Of course we can lose. But there aren’t any signs of us being anything less than task focussed this season, and second half of last year. We’ll get it done. I’ll get home about 4 hours after the final whistle so, however it goes, plenty of time to process for me! 

Ultimately, it's a winner's mentality to be confident of seeing a situation like this through, and we're going to need that in time to come if we're gonna go where we want to go.

Not arrogance, mind. Just iron resolution to do the business. I've got full faith in Eddie and the players to have that.

The alternative is self-doubt and nerves that can feed through into the crowd and onto the pitch. Caginess, being fearful and ponderous in possession, catastrophising any mistakes that are made etc. We don't want that.

One of the absolute best things that we've developed over the past 12 months is the resolve to trust our gameplan and talents in a game. It's definitely an education process for supporters, but 1-0 in the 80th minute means so much more now than it did the last time we were in regular cup semis and finals. We're a good, serious team.

Edited by 80

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

20 years next month.

We, and football, are a much different kettle of fish now compared to any KK/SBR type days.

And we've only lost 7 matches total since the loss to Cambridge on Jan 8th, 2022.

I just feel like people keep saying that they're nervous to try and show how much they care or some sort of reverse jinx thing. We don't need it. We're a vastly better squad only heading in one direction while they're headed in the opposite and we're starting the match, at home, with a one goal advantage. Of course the odds of us getting to the final are around that 95% mark.

There are things that humble you as a fan I think. That Keegan side was better than this one and didn't fall apart until February. Squandering a 12 point lead left an indelible mark on most Newcastle fans that went through it. Then there's Athletic Bilbao, Partizan Belgrade, and Sporting Lisbon, where we somehow managed to clinch defeat from the jaws of victory in the most ridiculous and advantageous circumstances.

I'm confident we'll go through but it'll take a long time, if ever, before all of that baggage doesn't curb it somewhat.

Confident of the win but the way we have been infront of goal lately it could get nervy if we struggle to score. Hoping for ASM or Isak, or both in from the start. 

Other concern is injuries/red cards.

That CB that we ripped the piss out of is back and may wana plant one on Bruno for revenge or whatever. 

I'm also a massive worst case scenario worrier. So disregard the above 😂

3 hours ago, The Fountain said:

With Pope and our back four you'd think it'd be impossible to balls this up.

Southampton will come at as early imo and leave gaps for us to penetrate. Just hope the finishing is better than last Tuesday.

I actually don't think Southampton will come at us early, think they'll actually look to defend and defend deep at the start of the game

They'll know we will be looking to start fast and the aim will be to nullify that

And deeper into the game they will start to push on

I’m shitting it like.

I’m confident that with the atmosphere we’ll start brightly. An early goal and I think we’ll go on to win by 2 or 3. But the longer it’s 0-0 the more nervy we’ll get.

But I keep having fucking nightmares that someone will get sent off or give away a penalty in the first half. 

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I’m shitting it like.

I’m confident that with the atmosphere we’ll start brightly. An early goal and I think we’ll go on to win by 2 or 3. But the longer it’s 0-0 the more nervy we’ll get.

But I keep having fucking nightmares that someone will get sent off or give away a penalty in the first half. 

We are due an early goal in the cup, we seem to be battering teams early on without reward

7 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

That Keegan side was better than this one and didn't fall apart until February.

Controversial opinion time: this current side beats the KK one, and does so comfortably.  The KK one was stronger relative to the rest of the PL of its day, but you’re currently watching a better side.  English football is so much better today quality-wise than it was in 1996. In terms of the KK side in Feb ‘96, Beardsley and Lee are the only two who would likely start for me. 

7 hours ago, Likelylad said:

Sporting Lisbon was the last time I shed tears about football. I actually think it broke me as I’ve never cried regards to footy since. 

Dyer going off injured 😔

I’ve never done so, but I suspect I might if we win this thing.  I’ve no idea what I’ll feel like tbh

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Controversial opinion time: this current side beats the KK one, and does so comfortably.  The KK one was stronger relative to the rest of the PL of its day, but you’re currently watching a better side.  English football is so much better today quality-wise than it was in 1996. In terms of the KK side in Feb ‘96, Beardsley and Lee are the only two who would likely start for me. 

Ginola. Ferdinand, Albert?

Just now, GideonShandy said:

Ginola. Ferdinand, Albert?

Ah telt yez it would be controversial :)

Nope, nope and nope for me.  Ginola wouldn’t fit this side; I’m unconvinced that Ferdinand is better than Isak or Wilson (as in Ferdinand dropped into the PL of 2023 wouldn’t have a better goal record than Wilson as a ratio); Botman and Schar are leaps and bounds better than Albert for me. 

17 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You can't really compare team performance across generations.  Imagine the 96 players with modern coaching etc.  They'd be so much better than they were.