Newcastle United vs. Southampton (1-0 agg.): 31/01/23 @ 20:00 - League Cup SF, 2nd leg (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, christ said:

If we score early I think we’ll be fine. Concede or start missing chances the atmosphere will turn frantic.

Mate, please don't mention it, giving me cold sweats thinking about it now:anguish:

Think it'll be ASM on the bench again tonight, then starting at the weekend against West Ham.

Leading going into tonight means they'll have to attack us so we'll prioritise being solid defensively IMO.

Isak could start instead of Wilson as it doesn't really change our shape or sacrifice defensive solidarity at all.

Just now, NE27 said:

Mate, please don't mention it, giving me cold sweats thinking about it now:anguish:

I’ve got visions of Willock scooping it until Level 7 from six yards out after 30 seconds and everyone’s arse dropping.

1 minute ago, Shak said:

Think it'll be ASM on the bench again tonight, then starting at the weekend against West Ham.

Leading going into tonight means they'll have to attack us so we'll prioritise being solid defensively IMO.

Isak could start instead of Wilson as it doesn't really change our shape or sacrifice defensive solidarity at all.

Or they suspect we'll come out all guns blazing with the crowd roaring us on. If so then there's every chance they setup to frustrate us and the crowd before trying to nick one on the counter.

Hope we can keep our heads tonight, that’s the main thing. We were really loose with the ball last week and we need to make sure we don’t do anything stupid because of how emotional the game is. As long as we can approach it like a normal game then we’ll win 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Hope we can keep our heads tonight, that’s the main thing. We were really loose with the ball last week and we need to make sure we don’t do anything stupid because of how emotional the game is. As long as we can approach it like a normal game then we’ll win 

A couple of comments that the pitch was a bit dodgy at St Mary's, to be fair to us.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Felt like Southampton tried to match our intensity and pressing last week, which resulted in a lot of turnovers from both sides.

Be surprised if they were that front-foot tonight

8 minutes ago, SteV said:

Felt like Southampton tried to match our intensity and pressing last week, which resulted in a lot of turnovers from both sides.

Be surprised if they were that front-foot tonight

They’ll be sitting back this week and then press 60-70 mins if they’re still in it.

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Ah, the old Pardew v Benfica tactic.

When we scored in the 71st minute or whatever it was to get back to 2-3 I actually thought it was on. :lol:

Was just going to say, think they'll try and keep it tight in the first half, maybe try and play for set pieces and hope to nick a goal. Then if it's not happening, they'll have to move up in the second half.