Newcastle United vs. Southampton (1-0 agg.): 31/01/23 @ 20:00 - League Cup SF, 2nd leg (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

I'd go with that, too, especially given that I think last night was the first overall performance that has given Howe a reason to change things up.

We weren't even that bad, but it was incredibly scrappy in points and we had lost control by the time of the substitutions.

Yeah I get the feeling Howe has been waiting for an excuse before bringing Isak and Maxi in. Yesterday I feel was a turning point.

I'm fairly sure Longstaff will retain his place but Willock and Wilson are nice options from the bench.

The break in between both games is massive for us and our squad. It was clear that lots need some recuperation time. I would expect a different performance, for the better at SJP. Outside chance we might even have a new player to sit on the bench or the stands and give people a boost too. 

Completely disagree with the above.

We give them the advantage if we set out with a defensive mindset,  allow them to think they will attack more.

put them on the back foot, set out to win the game from the off and when we go a goal or two up we make changes for a more robust set up.

21 minutes ago, buzza said:

Completely disagree with the above.

We give them the advantage if we set out with a defensive mindset,  allow them to think they will attack more.

put them on the back foot, set out to win the game from the off and when we go a goal or two up we make changes for a more robust set up.

We don't play with a defensive mindset, especially not at home, with those players though. It's just a bit more stability when all we need to do is to not concede.

I'd definitely bring in ASM for West Ham though. 

Can’t wait for this. Feels like a big moment in our history is going to be coming. Just hope it’s a class atmosphere throughout. Once the flags and scarves are put away as Local Hero finishes let’s get behind the lads and have the same impact we did for that Arsenal game last season. Southampton will melt. 

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Any chance of Southampton sending any of their allocation back or have they sold the 3700 allocation ?

How come they got more than a league game? We didn't down there.

I might be wrong.