Newcastle United 2-1 Southampton - Tell me Ma, me Ma, I won't be home for tea... (31/01/2023)

Disco

Just now, Rich said:

There was possibly the fastest rendition I've ever heard of the Blaydon Races midway through the first half.

Yeah, I fu#kin hate it when it's blurted out at 100 mph.

2 hours ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Sorry but completely underwhelmed by this. To me the Carabao cup is a tin pot cup where most of the top 6 play their second string in the early rounds. I can't see us beating a full strength Man u in the final either. The only hope is that they target a top 4 slot and play a weakened side, but even then they have strength in ddepth so I can't get carried away when the likely outcome is yet another cup final defeat. Sorry but just being realistic!!

Hang on in there Albert 

12 hours ago, Shak said:

Worked out :lol:

Bloody typical! :doh:  I had left it alone thinking nothing was going to happen and basically ignored everything related to it and was focusing on the mighty mags!  Went on social media after the match and all hell was breaking loose. 

Might have missed it mentioned, but does anyone know why Idris Elba was at the match last night, or is it just as we are MASSIVE now and are attracting Hollywood stars to watch us play/train (Gerard Butler at Saudi training camp last season).

Edited by TK-421

2 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Might have missed it mentioned, but does anyone know why Idris Elba was at the match last night, or is it just as we are MASSIVE now and are attracting Hollywood stars to watch us play/train (Gerard Butler at Saudi training camp last season).

We're everyone's second favourite team again 😅

Guest reefatoon

Don’t know why Burn is so excited and wants to get measured for a suit, might as well go in an old suit as we will probably get beat anyway.

5 hours ago, Stifler said:

That just sums up how ridiculously loud the song was played and therefore drowned out the actual supporters singing. The f'cking DJ has got to be given the boot. There is far too much music played at SJP anyway but this idiot was on another level for that last night. Is it the same bloke who is in control of music and makes match announcements etc?

Edited by Wandy

Fuck me man just enjoy it, did it spoil your neet like? 

Aye it was loud, I still sang Tell me ma me ma at the top of my voice and fuckin loved every minute of it.  As did many thousands around the ground. 

16 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

I can only guess he's due to play Joelinton in the Biopic. 

2 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Fuck me man just enjoy it, did it spoil your neet like? 

Aye it was loud, I still sang Tell me ma me ma at the top of my voice and fuckin loved every minute of it.  As did many thousands around the ground. 

It did a bit actually. :lol: I can't stand the cunt and the fucking blaring music. It's fucking awful. 

Shit journey up, detour off the A1 because of a smash up.  Shit journey back.  Making record time and then the A1 was closed with seemingly 5-6 maze like diversions in place.  One of which was a roundabout, that sent you back the way you came :lol: 

Got back at 3, up at half 6 for work.  Was it worth it?  Abso-fucking-loutely.

Atmosphere was strange.  Quality pre-game and I loved the DJ set and a little bop about the place.  Got loud after the first goal, but also a bit flat somehow.  Like nobody wanted to fully commit to saying it.  But it seemed like most fans knew we were getting through and that first goal kind of sealed the deal and then everyone relaxed. 

Felt needlessly nervy and edgy when we were defending really well and not letting them create anything.  Bar the Armstrong change, which was only really due to Trippier's mistake.  Got really loud after the red and towards the end when we knew we were going through.  

I get we don't really concede and we are always winning or drawing games.  So the expectation level will be higher, it's natural.  But we seem better as a fan base when the game is really tight or we're facing a bit of adversity.  Seems like most people are half asleep or fucking off for a pie at 40 minutes when we are dominating games :lol: 

Anyway, I don't want to bitch and moan.  I was basically smiling from the minute I walked in at half 7 until I left.  Fucking love this club again. 

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

Atmosphere was strange.  Quality pre-game and I loved the DJ set and a little bop about the place.  Got loud after the first goal, but also a bit flat somehow.  Like nobody wanted to fully commit to saying it.  But it seemed like most fans knew we were getting through and that first goal kind of sealed the deal and then everyone relaxed. 

Felt needlessly nervy and edgy when we were defending really well and not letting them create anything.  Bar the Armstrong change, which was only really due to Trippier's mistake.  Got really loud after the red and towards the end when we knew we were going through.  

16 years of having little to celebrate and a lot of superstitious bullshit to still overcome. 

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Was anyone else really disappointed in the subs last night? They were good calls from Howe but I just thought the triple sub didn't add any energy to the team. Isak & ASM had a couple of nice touches but struggled to get into it even before Bruno's red. Felt like the pressing just dropped off a cliff too, bar one or two sprints from them. The second half was a strange one overall though, guess that's just cup football.

Yeah.  Was happy with the subs.  But they never really worked. 

Almiron was a bit wasteful in space and refused to take it wide and hesitated a couple of times.  Both he and Willock had yet again put another monumental shift in.  So replacing them made sense. 

I actually thought Wilson was just getting involved in the game after a fairly poor first half.  He was annoying their centre backs constantly and had a bit more room to operate after their changes at half time.   

The occasion got to everyone in the 2nd half I think, players & fans alike. It will be a good learning experience for the team on how to manage the psychological aspect of a huge occasion like that and, hopefully, will help them deal with the final better.

Bit surprised by some of the comments regarding the atmosphere cos I thought it was really good. Maybe my expectations have just changed but me voice is all but gone from singing. Walking out the ground, shuffling down the Milburn corridor singing "tell me ma" was lush too. I particularly enjoyed the last few minutes when the singing, flags and scarves got going before even full-time.

Would really love to be able to stand all game though. I missed both goals because I was behind some very keen standeruppers at critical moments. :lol: I do get it, like, and don't blame anyone for the compulsion to get out of their seats, but when it catches you out it's a bit annoying. Never mind though, bring on safe standing and let's not limit it to one section.

Wilson looks very frustrated with his own performances at the moment. When subbed he looks seriously pissed off. Would be nice to for him to make up for these sub-par performances in the Liverpool & Cup Final games.

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Was anyone else really disappointed in the subs last night? They were good calls from Howe but I just thought the triple sub didn't add any energy to the team. Isak & ASM had a couple of nice touches but struggled to get into it even before Bruno's red. Felt like the pressing just dropped off a cliff too, bar one or two sprints from them. The second half was a strange one overall though, guess that's just cup football.

I wouldn't put any blame on the individual's that came on necessarily. I think they all showed effort but the team were in, hold what we've got mode, and it was a really difficult match for the subs to get to grips with. Southampton and Lavia in particular were in the ascendency. 

However they only really made the one Armstrong chance. So understandable why we tried to keep things tight.

The starting boys did look leggy though by 60 which is a little concerning as there is still a long way to go this season.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Wilson looks very frustrated with his own performances at the moment. When subbed he looks seriously pissed off. Would be nice to for him to make up for these sub-par performances in the Liverpool & Cup Final games.

I did think when isak came on it made Wilson’s performance look better though