[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

Back in a cup final, man. I'm still just gobsmacked.

I was too young to realise the rarity of them in '98 and '99, before the Ashley years, so this one just feels like absolutely everything. OK, it's only the League Cup. And OK, we're underdogs for this final. But life is about love, emotions and experiences and I cannot wait to passionately go through all three on Sunday 26th February.

We're actually in a motherfucking cup final. Newcastle United. Holy shit :lol:

11 minutes ago, Big River said:

wonder what kit we’re going to wear…

white/green/green

or

black&white/black/white

It will be the home kit I would imagine as no clash with Man U apart from the socks. Maybe a coin toss to see which team gets preference with this

I have to admit that since the Bournemouth LC game I’ve pretty much convinced myself that this is the year we win something - and now we’ve reached the final I’m suddenly jittery!

I’m ok with the result, either way.  The most important thing to me is that we’re actually fucking trying to win things again - win or lose, that counts more than anything.  The decade and a half of lost Ashley time will always be a blight, and for many of us it stripped away from us experiences we should have had in the prime of life.  That fat fuck took hope away.  I’ll be watching that final with hope more than anything - and no doubt like many, I’ll be thinking of a couple of people who were close to me who died during the Ashley era, having gone home and away for years and had their last remaining years of their greatest passion being undermined by that cunt.

I bloody hope we win it though, and excise those demons that have followed us for years.  I’ve always believed that once we break our duck, other trophies will follow - not necessarily all the time, but the tension, anxiety and stress will be gone.

Three games until the final, and unlike Howe, I’ll be wishing them all away tbh.  Roll on the 26th

12 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Black and White surely? There’s no clash with the red. 

you’d think so but we wore the white one away at Old Trafford this season.

no idea how it works, if there’s a “home” team or what. I mean, why the fuck would we know how any of this works? :lol:

Absolutely bricking it. We have to embrace it either way and remember this is just the start. 

It is going to be incredibly tough though. Manure are peaking at the wrong time for us and keep gaining momentum. We are no pushover though. This squad will fight tooth and nail. It's going to be a fascinating watch, if i can keep my hands from covering my eyes.

Including last night Man Utd play 7 fixtures before the final. Surely they'll get an injury or two!

Sat 04.02.2023 Crystal Palace (h) 3pm PL
Wed 08.02.2023 Leeds United (h) 8pm PL
Sun 12.02.2023 Leeds United (a) 2pm PL
Thu 16.02.2023 Barcelona (a) 5.45pm EL
Sun 19.02.2023 Leicester City (h) 2pm PL
Thu 23.02.2023 Barcelona (h) 8pm EL

7 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Including last night Man Utd play 7 fixtures before the final. Surely they'll get an injury or two!

Ten Hag really isn't big on rotation either. We played an almost full strength side last night in a game where we could have played our under 18's.

An incredibly important next 5 weeks coming up for us here. Season could be looking amazing or could fall apart.

Just now, Froggy said:

Ten Hag really isn't big on rotation either. We played an almost full strength side last night in a game where we could have played our under 18's.

An incredibly important next 5 weeks coming up for us here. Season could be looking amazing or could fall apart.

What you reckon for the final like wor kid? I make you slight favourites. I'd have fancied our chances vs. you (and still kind of do in a way) a month or so ago but looks like you're really picking up some momentum at the moment.

8 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Newcastle United 5 - 0 Manchester United

Trippier 13’

Joelinton 32’

Wilson 53’

Isak 73’

Schar 87’

(Assists)

Almiron 32’ 53’

Burn 73’

Bruno 87’

That would be a fantastic half-time and most of could kiss goodbye to a couple of day’s of conscious memories  at full-time! 

13 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

And hopefully a couple of red cards. 

4 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

What you reckon for the final like wor kid? I make you slight favourites. I'd have fancied our chances vs. you (and still kind of do in a way) a month or so ago but looks like you're really picking up some momentum at the moment.

I think our team is stronger than yours on paper in most positions, but that doesn't mean we're a better team. Bit concerned at Ten Hag not rotating at all and then having to play 6 more games before the final and a lot of them against high intensity sides.

Think it'll be tight. 2-1 either way. 

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

I think our team is stronger than yours on paper in most positions, but that doesn't mean we're a better team. Bit concerned at Ten Hag not rotating at all and then having to play 6 more games before the final and a lot of them against high intensity sides.

Who in our XI gets in your side?

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

Really surprised he didn’t massively rotate last night tbh.

Forest then Palace? Not huge games.

But then Leeds x2 , Barcelona x2 and a cup final?  Huge games. 

I don't feel nervous about this game. It just feels like an opportunity. 

With previous situations where we've had the chance of winning - 74, 96, 98 and 99 - the occasion has proved too much and we haven't shown enough belief. (I think we did okay in 76) I'm very confident that this team will show up and wouldn't it be great to defeat Man U. We've only lost two games this season - one in stoppage time away to Liverpool, and one where we fielded a weakened side. We do have a realistic chance, and after the semi, I feel the pressure has eased.

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Who in our XI gets in your side?

If we're both at full strength then Isak for sure. Maybe Trippier but Dalot has come on leaps and bounds and even AWB is playing brilliant. 

I really like Botman and Guimaraes but who would they replace? Botman for Martinez possibly. Guimaraes for Eriksen? Casemiro and Fernandes are untouchable in the middle of the park.

Maybe Lascelles ahead of Antony on the right wing. 

Just now, Froggy said:

If we're both at full strength then Isak for sure. Maybe Trippier but Dalot has come on leaps and bounds and even AWB is playing brilliant. 

I really like Botman and Guimaraes but who would they replace? Botman for Martinez possibly. Guimaraes for Eriksen? Casemiro and Fernandes are untouchable in the middle of the park.

Maybe Lascelles ahead of Antony on the right wing. 

Isak doesn't even get in our side at the minute. [emoji38]

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Isak doesn't even get in our side at the minute. [emoji38]

Only because he's still coming back from injury. I was doing this on the basis that everyone is fit.

Martial can be amazing but very inconsistent. I'd take Isak or Wilson over him and Weghorst any day of the week.