Newcastle United v West Ham United: 04/02/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Bruno's absence does actually allow us to freshen things up slightly, which to be honest is probably needed to be honest, would go for:

Pope

Trippier  Botman  Schar  Burn

Willock   Joelinton  Longstaff

Miggy           Isak                ASM

Subs: Dubravka; Lascelles, Ashby, Dummett, Anderson, Gordon, Murphy, Ritchie, Wilson

Just now, 54 said:

Bruno's absence does actually allow us to freshen things up slightly, which to be honest is probably needed to be honest, would go for:

Pope

Subs: Dubravka; Lascelles, Ashby, Dummett, Anderson, Gordon, Murphy, Ritchie, Wilson

Honestly?:D

This will be a tough one. Before the season start this was the team most people expected us to compete for 7th with. They still have a really strong team and coach, even if they have not been performing at that level.

3 points here will be a massive step towards top 4. 

Edited by NoU

5 minutes ago, 54 said:

Pope

Isak won't play

27 minutes ago, 54 said:

Pope

Concussion protocol is means Isak won’t play 

1 hour ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Maxi in, Big Joe and Longstaff a proper midfield 2 - lots of legs in there, with Willock playing more advanced behind Wilson

Big 3 games for Maxi, if he's not starting against Liverpool then you'd suspect that is it for him here. I reckon he's going to thrive coming back in really as the main man again but this time with a dangerous Miggy on the right to limit to double/triple up.

Need to start well, can't have another 'after the Lord Mayer's show' again. 

3-0 Wilson, Maxi, Willock

So who would play the holding role from Longstaff and Joelinton? I'm guessing probably Longstaff, but neither of them are really suited to it.

10 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Neither and both.

I'd be going for high energy, high pressing from both rather than having a DM. We're going Lee/Clark style here

I was thinking along the same lines tbh, maybe they'll just drop back or break forward depending on the other's position.

Having a look at the stats for this one.

Form since the World Cup break:

Leicester 0-3 Newcastle                      Arsenal 3-1 West Ham

Newcastle 0-0 Leeds                           West Ham 0-2 Brentford

Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle                         Leeds 2-2 West Ham

Newcastle 1-0 Fulham                          Wolves 1-0 West Ham

Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle             West Ham 2-0 Everton

Our home form:                   West Ham away form:          

Won - 6                                 Won - 1

Drawn - 4                             Drawn - 2

Lost -0                                  Lost - 7

Scored - 18                           Scored - 6

Conceded - 5                       Conceded - 13

Looking at the underlying data, West Ham should be sat snuggly in midtable. Their problem is that they're massive underperforming their xG and not scoring enough goals. They do switch formation a fair bit and have tried 3-4-3, 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 this season with pretty much the same results. Bowen has found a bit of form for them though with three in his last two.

Objectively looking at the numbers, you'd expect us to win this quite comfortably, but given our recent struggles in front of goal and West Ham's ability to keep it tight I fancy it to be a close game, but a home win.

I think Murphy might start out wide and not ASM.....

Longstaff will sit deepest of the midfield 3.  Which after last night, seems a bit of a waste.  Even when he was missing chances, the best part of his game are those late runs he makes into the box and the channel. 

The Palace game was flat as fuck, but I've not seen many other games that suggest we're running out of steam. Battered Leeds, battled hard v Arsenal, battered Fulham and battered Southampton at their place. Still not sure whether the approach in the second half yesterday was tactical or just the occasion.