Newcastle United v West Ham United: 04/02/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Think if Gordon starts ahead of ASM then that is a massive message. 

However anything is up in the air due to the Bruno absence. Eddie is going to need to come up with something new it seems and hopefully it works.

Edited by alexf

Another 3 points here i think. Yet to see them play a single good game of football all season, doesn’t strike me as a game where they’ll change that. Keep Bowen quiet, which I think we will with our defence and Jow and we’ll be at them for most of the game. Another goal for Longstaff please and one for Willock too 

I do wonder if Howe's thinking about going 4231/ 442 due to our lack of options in the middle.

Only playing 2 CMs would at least keep one fresh option on the bench for the next few games. We looked quite leggy yesterday.

Big Joe and Longsatff in the middle with ASM, Almiron and Gordon/Isak in front of the CMs

Neek

Trippier    Schar    Botman        Burn

Longstaff       Willock

Almiron            Isak             Joelinton

Wilson

Just now, The Butcher said:

I do wonder if Howe's thinking about going 4231/ 442 due to our lack of options in the middle.

Only playing 2 CMs would at least keep one fresh option on the bench for the next few games. We looked quite leggy yesterday.

Big Joe and Longsatff in the middle with ASM, Almiron and Gordon/Isak in front of the CMs

Yeah, we did similar late on v Fulham.

A straight Bruno-ASM swap seems the post logical, but I doubt Howe was enamoured with ASM last night.

Think this will be a struggle. The team and crowd always have a bit of a cup hangover after LC games. And I think West Ham are in a false position and are turning things round. Wouldn't be shocked at a 0-0 or a 1-1. Bruno missing means ASM has to play for me. He and Bruno are the two real x-factors we have in the team in terms of breaking other sides down. Go about it in different ways obviously, but when one isn't playing I feel the other has to. Especially at home. Really hope Isak is ok after that noggin bounce as well, he has looked a step above Wilson since he's been back. 

Yeah he did absolutely nothing wrong last night, people just have a problem with him. First run he did when he lost possession close to their by-line after a good run, the groans were probably the loudest part of the crowd in the second half.

ASM was just his mercurial self. There was a couple of times he lost the ball and made absolutely no effort to retrieve it or get back into shape. For me what he brings to the attack offsets that and  it's easily sorted by sticking Joelinton in LCM, given how much ground he covers. Howe might not see it that way though. 

4 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

Think this will be a struggle. The team and crowd always have a bit of a cup hangover after LC games. And I think West Ham are in a false position and are turning things round. Wouldn't be shocked at a 0-0 or a 1-1. Bruno missing means ASM has to play for me. He and Bruno are the two real x-factors we have in the team in terms of breaking other sides down. Go about it in different ways obviously, but when one isn't playing I feel the other has to. Especially at home. Really hope Isak is ok after that noggin bounce as well, he has looked a step above Wilson since he's been back. 

West Ham will come and keep it tight and try and hit us on the break with Bowen. So it’ll be whether we can break down a low block which we’ve not been great at previously. ASM could be key here but as mentioned above not sure whether Howe will select him. I hope he goes for ASM over Murphy though christ. Isak is ideal for this match but likely missing which is frustrating. Could do with Wilson finding his finishing form again. 

I think if we score early West Ham might struggle but it’ll probably be a right game imo. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

5 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

They've won 1 of their last 8 in the league, losing 6.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

15 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Neek

Trippier    Schar    Botman        Burn

Longstaff       Willock

Almiron            Isak             Joelinton

Wilson

This, or Gordon for either Isak or Wilson with the other one playing up front. I really don't want to see Willock/Joelinton interchanging broken up.