Newcastle United v West Ham United: 04/02/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

1 hour ago, nufcjb said:

Boy..we've had some cracking games against these at home haven't we? Obviously that 3-0 win in 96 stands out for how incredible we were that night. But, I've always fondly remember the 4-0 win in 2022 too. It was our first game of the season but played on a Monday night on Sky. We battered them and think Hugo Viana made his debut and was a big reason why I have remembered that game so much.

Also special mention of the one with Jonas scoring. Special that.

Will settle for a 2-0 win tomorrow. Howay the Lads!

So much you added 20 years to the date 

9 hours ago, TotalWar said:

Tino was such a weird player, like some special character in a game, his general game was absolutely hopeless, constantly giving the ball away, as shown in the match, but then once, twice, three times a match he would have a world class touch.

Its great to be reminded how imperious Albert was, and also look at Beresford, imagine his bombing down the left for us now.

Ginola’s crosses with his right foot from deep, which were no use to man nor beast, impossible even for Sir Les to do anything with.

Batty was fantastic in that game. 
also the crowd were deafening, not many songs, just constant noise.

Just watched the Leeds home game from that year, no commentary the sound is unmolested and its much the same. QPR too. Weren't anything out of the ordinary games for atmosphere by the then standards.  Think its why people should ease up on the atmosphere critiques, its the best now, it was the best then but its never going to be as good anywhere now as it was then generally.   Same goes for the football if were honest but we dont let that get in the way.

Something I remember distinctly about their equaliser against us in 90/91 was this feeling in the crowd, frustrated that because Burridge went crazy they got a goal they'd done nothing to deserve. It skewered the gameplay and the table and felt instantly crucial, which it turned out to be. We'd have been 2nd or something with a win but just dropped after that whilst they got promoted on the back of a slightly better start than us, having until that goal not been better than us for a year and a half.

Onto today. 

This for me is such a big game because its a mental test for us all. Can we get our heads out of Wembley?  3 points will be huge but I've a feeling we will need to come from behind to grab a 1-1

Morning after the semi final I was, genuinely, relaxed about this game and the forthcoming Bournemouth, Liverpool games. 

Woke up this morning and the usual (last 14 months) pre-match adrenaline has kicked in. 

Might have a can

Edited by Groundhog63

6 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Finding it hard to give a massive shit about this. Obviously I want to win. But everything in life pales in comparison to the cup final at the moment.

I disagree, we need a relentless mentality throughout the club,  move on to the next, same attitude.  That's what successful clubs do

8 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Finding it hard to give a massive shit about this. Obviously I want to win. But everything in life pales in comparison to the cup final at the moment.

6 points clear of 5th if we win today...they play man city tomorrow as well

9 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

2 minutes ago, 1964 said:

I disagree, we need a relentless mentality throughout the club,  move on to the next, same attitude.  That's what successful clubs do

Felt like the former on the Wednesday morning. 

Feel like the latter now. Need to carry on the momentum, go into it high in confidence and high in league status

26 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

You and anyone else need to drop this attitude mind , massive 3 games for us coming up , losing 4th would tragic for us and the club. It’s us or Spurs looking at the fixtures . HWTFL :indi:

(not having a pop btw mate)

Edited by GWN

I think we might stutter over the next 3 league games, as players will have their minds focused on the CC final. They won't want to get injured/suspended, so might think twice before going in for some tackles etc.

I could be wrong, and I hope the home crowd can keep us winning.

3 minutes ago, Klaus said:

I think we might stutter over the next 3 league games, as players will have their minds focused on the CC final. They won't want to get injured/suspended, so might think twice before going in for some tackles etc.

I could be wrong, and I hope the home crowd can keep us winning.

not under Howe.

He’ll be impressing on them the importance of form and momentum going into the final, you can’t switch off for 3 games, even just 10-15% then switch it back on for the final.

I reckon we will start like a train today, the plan will be 2-3 nil by half time then kill the game dead.

bournemouth will be similar

liverpool will be a send off like no other as we break the premier league record for winning margin and goals scored by a single player in a game 

1 minute ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

not under Howe.

He’ll be impressing on them the importance of form and momentum going into the final, you can’t switch off for 3 games, even just 10-15% then switch it back on for the final.

I reckon we will start like a train today, the plan will be 2-3 nil by half time then kill the game dead.

liverpool will be a send off like no other as we break the premier league record for winning margin and goals scored by a single player in a game 

That’s the spirit! :indi:

4 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

not under Howe.

An early goal would sharp settle my nerves :lol: