How would you rate our January 2023 Transfer Window?

Rich

How would you rate our January 2023 Transfer Window?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. (0 = eee it was a disgrace, 10 = we'll never see a better one)

25 man squad?

2 Kieran Trippier 
3 Paul Dummett 
4 Sven Botman 
5 Fabian Schär 
6 Jamaal Lascelles 
7 Joelinton 
8 Jonjo Shelvey   Harrison Ashby
9 Callum Wilson 
10 Allan Saint-Maximin 
11 Matt Ritchie 
12 Jamal Lewis 
13 Matt Targett 
14 Alexander Isak 
18 Loris Karius 
19 Javier Manquillo 
20 Chris Wood   Anthony Gordon
21 Ryan Fraser 
22 Nick Pope 
23 Jacob Murphy 
24 Miguel Almirón 
26 Karl Darlow Martin Dubravka 
28 Joe Willock 
33 Dan Burn 
36 Sean Longstaff 
39 Bruno Guimarães

19 hours ago, duo said:

If we miss CL I think we'll look back at this window as a missed opportunity 

As will ownership.  I think, though, that they have stuck to their principles in the past and this is just another example of it.  If we gain CL it will have been a big gamble that was won.  If we gain Europa it's a pass.  I really don't see us falling out of the European spots so I think it shows confidence in Eddie and the squad to keep things rolling and hope for no major injuries in the center.  I also think that had a qualified CM loan presented itself they would have snapped at it.

1 hour ago, Consortium of one said:

As will ownership.  I think, though, that they have stuck to their principles in the past and this is just another example of it.  If we gain CL it will have been a big gamble that was won.  If we gain Europa it's a pass.  I really don't see us falling out of the European spots so I think it shows confidence in Eddie and the squad to keep things rolling and hope for no major injuries in the center.  I also think that had a qualified CM loan presented itself they would have snapped at it.

Agreed. They’ll make up for it in the summer, once sponsorships are signed and we know where we are. The future’s bright, the futures black and white!  :indi:

7/10 for me. Think the club is showing great things to the players; eg wood and shelvey. They weren't first choice and they didn't have massive contract time left. And they allowed them to move to another club who offered them maybe more money and more time and a chance to make an impact. Think it shows maturity and kindness. 

Yes would be great to have a new CM but we don't want any old codswallop. So best to wait. We tried for a loan but Chelsea playing hardball and also not showing kindness and maturity so fuck 'em. I don't think we are super light seeing as tho Shelvey has been out for months. Would rather Anderson could come in and learn than Shelvey who barely runs. 

Plus young talent really excites me and I think everton and West ham have got it wrong with those two and they will regret them leaving... And like man u and Chelsea will try to buy them back in 5 years for 200m or something silly like that. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

"Howe’s primary concern had been to bolster his midfield with more athleticism and dynamism, complementing Guimaraes. Players who had been watched extensively included Leicester pair James Maddison and Youri Tielemans, Edson Alvarez of Ajax, Brighton’s Moises Caicedo and Scott McTominay of Manchester United"

luis suarez GIF

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

"Howe’s primary concern had been to bolster his midfield with more athleticism and dynamism, complementing Guimaraes. Players who had been watched extensively included Leicester pair James Maddison and Youri Tielemans, Edson Alvarez of Ajax, Brighton’s Moises Caicedo and Scott McTominay of Manchester United"

luis suarez GIF

Was just about to tell you to stop complaining and be patient and we'll get one of them in the summer. Then realised the GIF was in relation to the last name on the list. Fair enough pal. 

• 2 weeks later...

4th in the league, no European football, Liverpool and Chelsea way off it, the best opportunity we'll have to qualify for the CL for some time. The revenue would be massive.

What on earth were they thinking going the rest of the season with four midfielders for three positions!?

Just now, Doctor Zaius said:

4th in the league, no European football, Liverpool and Chelsea way off it, the best opportunity we'll have to qualify for the CL for some time. The revenue would be massive.

What on earth were they thinking going the rest of the season with four midfielders for three positions!?

Shelvey is not the greatest, but he was an option and it was mad to sell him without a replacement signed, sealed and delivered.

On 01/02/2023 at 15:16, The College Dropout said:

Went with 4 but could've been a 5.

Positives:

- Secured some good targets for the long-term

- Think Gordon is a good addition to the squad

- Good fee for Wood 

-Getting rid of deadwood

Negatives:

- Weaker now in our weakest area of the pitch midfield

- Don't think we've strenthened the best XI

- Missed opportunity to capitalise on being 3rd halfway through the season to push for Top 4

- Haven't addressed our biggest weakness as a team - quality in the final third

- Think Shelvey would've been useful to keep for this season.

- Anderson isn't ready for any meaningful game time but can't be loaned. Stunted development.

- Think we may miss Wood's expertise from the penalty spot in the final

Overall I’ve felt our good form over the last 12 months has been down to momentum and positive atmosphere at the club. And we’ve added quality at key moments to keep that up - Trippier, Bruno, Botman, Isak.  But we still lacked quality in midfield and attack. And sooner or later when the intensity waned and the momentum slowed, we would breed another bolt of quality to sustain us another 6 months. A Bruno level midfielder or attacker. 

We didn’t get that.  And the weaknesses in our squad are being exposed.