Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

First big mistake by the new regime getting rid of shelvey and not replace him. 

I love how now that he’s gone Jonjo Shelvey, who has contributed absolutely nothing this season, is going to be our downfall. 

We lost our best player four days ago, plus the best option we had to change things up. It’s been poor, no question. The criticism is fine, it’s the sky is falling tone to it that’s exhausting given our current situation.

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

7 wingers in the matchday squad. No striker and no midfielder on the bench. We had a glorious chance to balance the squad this window, but we failed badly.

This might be a bit hyperbole as we just had a bad half, but I do fear for us this half of the season.

Hope I'm wrong like:lol:

I think you’re right, especially in a season like this, got to take advantage of our position and the struggles of others. 

4 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Look far better when Joelinton got moved into the 6.

Yeah, and it will show more in the second half. 

Longstaff can now push forward and be a goal threat, picking up from where he left off mid week.

The legend of Joelinton will again continue to grow as he excels in yet another role.

There is no vision what so ever from the 3 CM. No chemistry at all. This first half takes me back to the Steve Bruce era. 

I know we are gonna have games like this, but really wish someone could step up when Bruno isnt playing. 

Hopefully Elliot and Gordon gets a chance in the second half. 

Just now, timeEd32 said:

I love how now that he’s gone Jonjo Shelvey, who has contributed absolutely nothing this season, is going to be our downfall. 

We lost our best player four days ago, plus the best option we had to change things up. It’s been poor, no question. The criticism is fine, it’s the sky is falling tone to it that’s exhausting given our current situation.

It was a risk not bringing in a cm. Lets see if we cope. Not more than that. 

2 minutes ago, midds said:

ASM is struggling badly out there and looks like a weak link tonight. Doesn't help with his style of play that it appears like he doesn't give much of a fuck and/or isn't trying. Not accusing him off that but at times that how he plays and that's how it looks - getting beaten to 50/50s with pace, going down easily, pulling out of 50/50s etc. 

Needs to up his game or subbing off tbph

He's had a few moments where he's tracked back and done well, but it has been a frustrating game to watch him in. After waiting so long you'd think he'd be looking to prove what he can do over 90 minutes. 

Just now, Killuminati said:

There is no vision what so ever from the 3 CM. No chemistry at all. This first half takes me back to the Steve Bruce era. 

I know we are gonna have games like this, but really wish someone could step up when Bruno isnt playing. 

Apart from the fantastic assist in the first five minutes ffs 

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

This. Shelvey was a waste of a squad number 

There’s such negativity from some. I’m still expecting we’ll win it second half  and their goal felt like it was against the run of play to me.  

It’s a shame we’re missing Isak and Bruno mind. 

2 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

We were out battled and outclassed in the midfield. It did look better with Joelinton moving to the deeper central role, but we can’t retain possession or progress the team forward. Maxi isn’t offering an outlet on the left. 

He's not putting in the work either. We normally win the midfield with our press, but our whole midfield looks vacant compared to how we usualy play.

2 minutes ago, Killuminati said:

Eh? Steve Bruce era? Really??

1 minute ago, LV said:

There’s such negativity from some. I’m still expecting we’ll win it second half  and their goal felt like it was against the run of play to me.  

Yeah Isak would be ideal here

Just now, LV said:

Agree with the rest, but disagree with this. They were the better side for the last 20, while we looked disjointed and sloppy.

Their goal was a bit jammy, but after that we're lucky to be level after letting the CH go at that free kick. 

Our attacking play has lacked the Willock/Beg Joe understanding on the left, with slack balls into and more forgivably from ASM. ASM has the beating of his man, but it's all looking uncoordinated and rusty on that side.

Trippier and Miggy quiet down the right, so we need a bit of inspiration from somewhere. Maybe Gordon can do it.

Great ball from Longstaff, btw. fwiw, the Mitoma pullback for Japan looked out from some camera angles, so I don't think you can say that is definitely out based on an inclined camera angle. The Japan one was only in when viewed from directly above.

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

There's some absolute knee jerk fannies knocking about tonight.

Not getting a CM could well end up being an error on our part, but it wouldn't have made the slightest difference to that first half.

Just now, Zero said:

We desperately need Longstaffs supporting runs in our final third 

Think Howe agrees considering he swapped him and Joelinton. Problem is Joelinton isn't very good technically, at least not compared to Bruno. Dynamic of the midfield is a bit of a mess in this current iteration