Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

Poor transfer window coming to light.

4 draws in the last 5.

Lack of quality in midfield to create quality chances.

Lack of quality in attack to create and convert chances.

Not enough quality off the bench.

Honestly - could've done with Shelvey and Wood. Shelvey to try and pass balls through the lines. Wood just because Wilson was done. We needed that midfielder and additional attacker.

Gordon looked bright though.

Shite this like, not strengthening in January is going to cost us top 4, we're only missing Bruno and look fucking hopeless, never looked like scoring since they equalised.

We're massively overacheiving in the position we're in and nights like tonight highlight that, we can't cope against teams that set up to nullify us because we're not good enough yet, 4 draws from the last 5 and the one we didn't draw we should've lost.

I know this will seem negative, and we're obviously having a great season, but there's a long long way to go before we can class ourselves as a top team, it's so frustrating. I appreciate we're ahead of where we thought we wouod be, but why the fuck did we not strengthen properly in January, we could've basically assured top 4, instead we'll miss out and it'll be a shit end to the season

2 minutes ago, worthy said:

pissed away 2 points.

Another point on the board in a game we could have thrown away.

All you have to do is look at other results today to know that there are no easy games in this league.

Maybe try Bayern or PSG for your win every game fix. 

Just now, TRon said:

Can't argue with that, some of our players really didn't take the opportunity to show they can step up when we lose Bruno. I think Burn at left back might have run it's course, we really could have used someone who could overlap now and then.

I’d like to see it changed up from time to time, especially against teams we need to break down.  BDB has done little wrong this season - we look so solid with that back four, as he moves inside when Trippier bombs on

Aguerd & Rice West Hams best players. Really impressed.

Very meh performance from us.

Don't think Burn played particularly bad as someone mentioned, but players around him has no confidence (maybe rightly so) in giving him the ball past our own halfway line. He gets into some good positions but neither opponents or team mates care much that he is :lol:

Gordon, Murphy & Anderson did well when coming on. Maybe should have come on earlier as we looked a bit tired?

Piss poor and a frustrating performance that. Ball.in the net 38 seconds into the match and then the players went missing for the remainder of the 93 minutes. Similar level to the Sheff Wednesday defeat, only that this was our 1st team minus Bruno and Isak ffs.

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Miggy has to start hitting some first time balls in. Vary it up, it's always a turn inside to either move inside or wait for Trippier to overlap. Im going to say Maxi needs more game time but his decision making in this team hasnt been great when he's played recently. Gordon a better option.

I think Eddie will be fuming with ASM. Had a big chance today to stake his claim and blew it. 

Our intensity has dropped off. Not a lot but by a significant enough amount so teams can play around our press.

We had a very good first 10 minutes when WHam just seemed cold. We had a decent last 10-15 as WHam looked to consolidate a point.

For the rest of the game I thought they were the better team (marginally) and we’re a bit fortunate to get a point. 
We’re quite laboured, predictable and move the ball slowly.

Personally, I think the players are knackered.

I think our mad press system, coupled with a weak squad and little rotation means the fizz has gone from the legs.

Its been apparent for a few weeks now.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Poor transfer window coming to light.

4 draws in the last 5.

Lack of quality in midfield to create quality chances.

Lack of quality in attack to create and convert chances.

Not enough quality off the bench.

Honestly - could've done with Shelvey and Wood. Shelvey to try and pass balls through the lines. Wood just because Wilson was done. We needed that midfielder and additional attacker.

Gordon looked bright though.

mate, Shelvey is still 2 weeks away apparently. 

Annoying performance. As off it as we were, Wilson should have scored another 2.

Sloppiness is creeping in, which to me suggests we're starting to feel the tiredness from a lack of squad depth.

Pope: 7

Trippier: 6

Schär: 5

Botman: 5

Burn: 5

Longstaff: 5

Joelinton: 7.5

Willock: 5

ASM: 4.5

Wilson: 5.5

Almiron: 7

Gordon: 7.5

Considering some of the circumstances, I'm ok with a draw. I felt we did well to get control back in the last 30 mins and seemed to be finding nice gaps only to then start launching it in the last 5/10 mins for some daft reason.

Gordon looks very well suited to Howe-ball. His first thought is to get the ball into space and go forward, whether pass or touch.

Regroup for the next one with Isak back.

Thought Gordon look really incisive and positive when he came on. Looks like most of the team have been running themselves into the ground for half the season. Bit of spark gone.

Almiron is still running hard but doesn't look a threat again.

No faulting commitment, just a bit flat all round. Last 20 minutes were decent.

Far be it from lowly me to criticise Eddie Howe, but I think he's deploying ASM all wrong.