Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

Perspective. Been a massive week getting to the cup final and another point in the bank. We looked flat and leggy at times but not really surprising. Gordon looks sharp and should add options up front. Good test away at Bournemouth next so nothing to worry about in this performance. 

One of those days! 

We do not have a strong enough squad just yet, and we have to accept matches like this.

Gordon was good, and add a lot to the team. 

But fuck me, Joelinton is some player! Grew with the game and really asserted himself ❤️

1 minute ago, mikejaxer said:

I'd start Gordon ahead of ASM based on that performance, as harsh as it is on ASM but I feel like Howe will keep Gordon as an impact sub for the time being.

I doubt it. That was ASMs chance. Fully expect Gordon to start next game. 

Can't help but feel we've just not been the same since the World Cup, whether that's because teams have got used to our tactics, the players are having a dip in confidence or something else, I just don't know. We've just not been as precise in the passing or covering each other in defence as much perhaps. At least Gordon looks alive though.

West Ham were decent. They easily matched if not outplayed our midfield. Rice was excellent mostly and they looked threatening without ever really causing us all that much bother.

Gordon looked sharp when he came on and if Wilson hadn’t been tired at that point we might have won it with that through ball he played.

Last 10 mins we were just trying to force the issue, we’re not that good at chasing a goal so have to be mildly happy with the point.

Fatigue is definitely an issue for us and it seems like we have to have a game won early doors at the minute.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Almiron looking like Almiron again.

ASM was poor.

Gordon's a bright spark.

Still bringing Murphy off the bench.

Wilson looked bad again.

Teams have seen the ‘Almiron’ move. They anticipate it. He needs something new.

I think ASM needs games. He’s out of rhythm. I’d still start him.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

I think Eddie will be fuming with ASM. Had a big chance today to stake his claim and blew it. 

Don't think he'll be fuming. Classic trying to hard performance imo. Should get more chances.

I’m seeing too many complaining about missing out on top four like.  Finishing top four would be an unbelievable bonus this year - top half and a cup run for me still applies.  We’ve now hit the magic 40 points with 17 games to go, and we’re in a cup final.  I reckon another 10 points guarantees top half.  Best season in years and it’s the first week of February

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I think we need to freshen it up. Not sure what that means, but we've just been flat for a while now.

Following this I think maybe a 4-2-3-1 would be worth trying. We don't have the control with the midfield three anyway without Bruno and the numbers are now in the attacking areas.

Botman and Schar's passing out of defence today was probably the worst I've seen them this season. So many misplaced passes.

And do we have a no shoot on sight policy or something? Players are so afraid of pulling the trigger and instead play an extra pass before losing the ball.

Edited by nufcjb

It wasn't amazing, but, what a lot of our fans forget is what the opposition bring, nobody will pay any credit to West Ham, it'll just be moaning about our players.

Fabianski was brilliant, his reactions to balls in the box and loose knocks here and there were spot on. After we scored it woke them up a bit, Rice was also class managed our midfield well. Not forgetting Aguerd, he was really solid.

We were evenly matched, I think we shaded it in being slightly more creative, but they were really solid to get through, its frustrating, but its football, jumping in single player threads to pin blame is just pointless. 

I think the result was fair, especially considering we have lost our most influential player, it showed at times. 

Edited by mighty__mag

I think our rapid ascent up the table and getting to a cup final so quickly has blindsided most fans into thinking we’re mint, and we’re now beginning to see that it’s still a large work in progress and it’s going to take time before we actually become a comfortable top four side. 

Edited by Miggys First Goal

Just now, nufcjb said:

Botman and Schar's oassing outnof defence today was orobably the worst I've seen them this season. So many misplaced passes.

And do we have a no shoot on sight policy or something? Players are so afraid of pulling the trigger and instead play an extra pass before losing the ball.

Often had to force it.

Wilson has to put in either that header or the 1v1 with the keeper. He’s done this too many times this season. I can’t see Isak missing both of those chances.. 

I love Dan Burn but he really handicaps any of our attacking play down the left. Useless on the overlap. Can’t pick a pass to the LW. Can’t win headers going forward even though he’s 6’7.. I think he should be CB depth for us not our starting LB. He also puts a ton of pressure on whoever plays infront of him to constantly be covering for him. 

ASM put in more effort today in terms of getting stuck in. He is extremely indirect and had a few opportunities to cross but he wanted to dribble past his man for the third time. 

We are becoming WAY WAY to dependant on trippier playing a 1-2 with Almiron and then feeding him behind. We have done it at least 10 times per match and teams are picking up on it. 

Gordon looked very good! 

We miss Bruno.