Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

1 minute ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Can't help but feel we've just not been the same since the World Cup, whether that's because teams have got used to our tactics, the players are having a dip in confidence or something else, I just don't know. We've just not been as precise in the passing or covering each other in defence as much perhaps. At least Gordon looks alive though.

We were playing brilliant football for 20 mins against Southampton, but seems like we run out of gas after that, sort of happened today as well. We definitely need to start rrotating players more, but will need Bruno back to do that.

1 minute ago, Miggys First Goal said:

I think our rapid ascent up the table and getting to a cup final so quickly has blindsided most fans into thinking we’re mint, and we’re now beginning to see that it’s still a large work in progress and it’s going to take time become we actually become a comfortable top four side. 

Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, it's still wild to me that we're even still challenging for the top 4. Start of the season I thought top 6 would have been amazing. It's hard to get mad about this game, we didn't even lose today.

Edited by mikejaxer

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m seeing too many complaining about missing out on top four like.  Finishing top four would be an unbelievable bonus this year - top half and a cup run for me still applies.  We’ve now hit the magic 40 points with 17 games to go, and we’re in a cup final.  I reckon another 10 points guarantees top half.  Best season in years and it’s the first week of February

It's one of them though, I completely understand your point and accept it, however it's relative and context that make people feel how we feel. 

At the start of the season, out of context if someone had said we'd be where we are now and with the cup fun, we'd be fucking dancing from the ceiling and it'd be unbelievable, but the fact is we've got/had a genuine chance at the top 4 and we're fucking it up, its so frustrating, there's no way that next season spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool will be as bad as they are so it's such a great chance to get ahead of them. Performances like the last few weeks are so frustrating and the main annoyance for me is that we didn't properly strengthen in January when we could've done and it would have solidified our spot.

Edited by NUFCDoog

2 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Rice was brilliant btw. Read the game like no one else on the pitch.

Telegraphed so much I thought, he was intercepting passes you could see coming a mile off. He still did it, but I was more annoyed with us than impressed by him.

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

2 goals scored in our last 5 league games. It’s not good and we don’t have the attacking players to turn it around. 

I think we do in Isak, but he can’t get a start and that needs to change immediately. Wilson, despite his goal today, is completely off it lately and might be on the decline because he’s definitely lost half a yard of pace. 

Time to stop fucking about and make Isak the main forward at the club and start him every game we can. 

Just now, et tu brute said:

Typical the two players you need to change that game are the two players missing I still maintain that a massive opportunity was missed during the window

They’re snookered by FFP - or they are if they don’t want to be hampered in the next couple of years

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Telegraphed so much I thought, he was intercepting passes you could see coming a mile off. He still did it, but I was more annoyed with us than impressed by him.

The ghost of Carlton Palmer would have looked good against our midfield. He played well mainly because we let him 

I'll take a point but we really needed all three.

I think it was just one of those days. Made Rice look world class, crappy passing all around the shop, balls didn't fall our way like they have been. C'est la vie.

Gordon looked bright and will be a good addition.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Only caught the last fifteen but thought we were alright. Not a great result but thought Gordon looked lively; hopefully him, Isak and Maxi can rejuvenate our attack a bit. 

Last 15 was the only spell we did look alright other than the first 5 :lol:

In between we had good periods of possession but absolutely no cutting edge. West Ham looked dangerous most times they attacked. Gordon changed the game when he came on but overall we were second best. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Very workman like on the ball. Only Bruno can play a ball with some disguise and get it forward. The 3 in there and runners and that's it

1 minute ago, samptime29 said:

How we play? Was at a meal I couldn't get out of. Just seen score.

Struggled against another team who sit in. Although unlike a lot of weeks. They carried a threat on the counter and were the better team first half. 

Gordon looked sharp when he came on. Really crisp, incisive passing. I thought Longstaff and Big Joe (despite a massive dive) were also quality. 

They were good at overloading the flanks and we never really got going out wide. The left side in particular was terrible. 

Honours even was about right there.

Both sides had decent spells in the game where they looked dangerous, without really troubling the opposition too much.

Credit to West Ham, I thought Rice and Paqueta both had good games in the middle, while Gordon looked really bright when he came on.

We looked flat in spells and I hope that's down to a hangover or missing Bruno rather than us running out of steam. It would have been nice to have the luxury of bringing Isak on late on.

Liverpool lost, while Chelsea drew. If Spurs lose tomorrow it could turn out to be a really useful point.

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, NUFCDoog said:

It's one of them though, I completely understand your point and accept it, however it's relative and context that make people feel how we feel. 

At the start of the season, out of context if someone had said we'd be where we are now and with the cup fun, we'd be fucking dancing from the ceiling and it'd be unbelievable,

You’re right, context comes into it - but it is far less stressful to remind ourselves that we’re miles ahead of what was anticipated, and that from here on in every point gained is massive.