Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

Frustrating and annoying game of football. We looked leggy, and it looked like some of the players where still on the come down from Tuesday, but that said we probably created the better chances. I swear one of these days we're going to batter someone, as we're creating chances, and getting into the right areas, we're just not putting them away, i'm be much more concerned if it was the other way round.

Rice was outstanding today by the way, he would be perfect in our team. 

Our record since the World Cup in all competitions is:

Played 10

Won 5

Drew 4

Lost 1

Scored 11

Conceded 3

These few draws are frustrating, but not been horrendous, and its worth remembering we're still in an amazing position, we're in a cup final and 4th in the league.

19 minutes ago, NUFCDoog said:

Shite this like, not strengthening in January is going to cost us top 4, we're only missing Bruno and look fucking hopeless, never looked like scoring since they equalised.

We're massively overacheiving in the position we're in and nights like tonight highlight that, we can't cope against teams that set up to nullify us because we're not good enough yet, 4 draws from the last 5 and the one we didn't draw we should've lost.

I know this will seem negative, and we're obviously having a great season, but there's a long long way to go before we can class ourselves as a top team, it's so frustrating. I appreciate we're ahead of where we thought we wouod be, but why the fuck did we not strengthen properly in January, we could've basically assured top 4, instead we'll miss out and it'll be a shit end to the season

We never had top 4 guaranteed and there is no move that assures anything. Some of you lot just love to frustrate yourselves.

The same bunch that have got us here well ahead of schedule did not feel confident in any of the options in midfield available during the window, to bring in to help the team, but still the experts on here seem to know better and have something to whinge about again.

It's mostly the same bunch that where whinging and bitching about how awful a player Gordon is, and flooding his thread with post after post stating that as fact. And after merely a 15 mins cameo they are slithering around and saying something completely different now.

Some of you really need to get a grip. It's embarrassing.

Edited by KaKa

Ah well. Like I said earlier, there's always a shitey patch we go through. Just lacking the killer touch at the moment.

Gordon impressed, would like to see him start. 

If there's a negative in this, it's that I don't think we'll be beating Man Utd at Wembley without Bruno. 

Just now, et tu brute said:

Typical the two players you need to change that game are the two players missing I still maintain that a massive opportunity was missed during the window

This. I expect that some might wish to reasses their January window ratings. We’re guaranteed to drop points if Bruno is out especially. Lucky that West Ham don’t offer much going forward. They owned the midfield. Rice is worth a fortune.

Just now, Billy Warthog said:

Ah well. Like I said earlier, there's always a shitey patch we go through. Just lacking the killer touch at the moment.

Gordon impressed, would like to see him start. 

If there's a negative in this, it's that I don't think we'll be beating Man Utd at Wembley without Bruno. 

Bruno is back for Wembley 

Just now, et tu brute said:

They're not though and this is without the sponsorship/commercial deals still to come through 

It’s year-by-year on a three-year rolling average.  They are hamstrung this season - getting better sponsorship deals in the summer doesn’t fix 2022-23’s accounts, and we ran up losses last season. 

Just now, 54 said:

Frustrating and annoying game of football. We looked leggy, and it looked like some of the players where still on the come down from Tuesday, but that said we probably created the better chances. I swear one of these days we're going to batter someone, as we're creating chances, and getting into the right areas, we're just not putting them away, i'm be much more concerned if it was the other way round.

Rice was outstanding today by the way, he would be perfect in our team. 

Our record since the World Cup in all competitions is:

Played 10

Won 5

Drew 4

Lost 1

Scored 11

Conceded 3

These few draws are frustrating, but not been horrendous, and its worth remembering we're still in an amazing position, we're in a cup final and 4th in the league.

Rice was brilliant. Gets so much stick on here, but he's a really good DM and distributes the ball around very efficiently.

Be interesting to see where he ends up. Think because of the level of interest, I think his price will be way too high, but I agree he'd fit in brilliantly.

Disappointing. A bit of a hangover from midweek, which in turn was a hangover from 14 years or whatever from Ashley. I say that because the team should not have been nervous and Bruno should never have been sent off when we were two goals up at home. I think it happened due nerves emanating from a history of habitual failure, the lingering smell of Ashley. That free kick also sidelined Isak, a big potential difference maker today. Maybe its little stuff at the margins, maybe its the butterfly batting its wings in chaos theory, but these are little things striking me as linked in one way or another.

As takeaways from this game, ASM is not something we can just switch on and off, he needs to play and be integrated in the team, which he wasn't today. While he scored, Wilson had a couple of great chances he didn't take, so not quite the great return to form. Gordon looked like the Everton player of last season, and his cameo was the clear highlight.

Some laser pointer passing from Rice, who excels against us. It gets an asterisk due to Bruno missing, but a great performance from him.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s year-by-year on a three-year rolling average.  They are hamstrung this season - getting better sponsorship deals in the summer doesn’t fix 2022-23’s accounts, and we ran up losses last season. 

I think you need to read Kieran Maguire's summary of FFP. Covid also had an effect which lessened losses during that period and adjusted financial figures for FFP

Edited by et tu brute

Just now, The Prophet said:

Too early to tell if we're running out of steam. We had a spell like this at the start of the season where we didn't win in six and folk were moaning about the lack of attacking reinforcements in the summer.

We didn’t look as leggy then mind.

I kinda expected that.

After the lord mayor's shows, Bruno/Isak out, getting tired, opponent that wont mind sitting back, our difficulty scoring

So it is what it is.

Thought the goal might spark WIlson into life but didn't seem to and ASM albeit a first start for ages were disappointing though.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Too early to tell if we're running out of steam. We had a spell like this at the start of the season where we didn't win in six and folk were moaning about the lack of attacking reinforcements in the summer.

It is worth remembering that teams now come here to defend and frustrate, hoping for a draw. We just aren't good enough, to cope with that at home....yet.

Edited by Klaus

8 minutes ago, Smal said:

Miggy is the main one who is a tough watch at the moment imo. Needs a goal.

He'll suffer the most with Bruno out.

He's a pass and move player and he and Bruno always work that one two a number of times during games to get him in good positions.

He was missing that badly today. Not many of our other players operate with that same sort of thinking. Trippier links up well with him at times too, but thought Trippier's passing was not great today.

The way I see it, the problem was the first half and defending. We defended like complete unorganised garbage the whole first half, and you could see that goal coming for a long time. AND we conceded a complete shit goal on top of that.

We actually played fine in the second half all things considered, although the didn't have much left for the end. West Ham didn't create shit in the second half and we controlled the game just how we SHOULD have in from the beginning.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm not having it that Aguard's tackle was amazing as well, Wilson should be burying that.

Yeah had two or three yards on him. Good finish for the opener but that chance was a dream for Wilson.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

:thup:

Just now, KaKa said:

He'll suffer the most with Bruno out.

He's a pass and move player and he and Bruno always work that one two a number of times during games to get him in good positions.

He was missing that badly today. Not many of our other players operate with that same sort of thinking. Trippier links up well with him at times too, but thought Trippier's passing was not great today.

In terms of Miggy, I just think he’s inevitably dropped his level, it’s understandable, he was never going to be able to keep up with the wonder goals.