Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

Definitely think a new system is required to make us less predictable

4-2-3-1

Pope

Tripper Schar Botman Burn (although want Targett back soon)

Longstaff Joelinton

Almiron Isak Gordon

Wilson

ASM

Willock

Murphy 

first few attacking subs if a goal is needed

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I thought West Ham caused us more problems today in the first half than most teams do 

Agreed, but second half they had no intention of anything but defending. It's crap for us, but we will need to learn to cope with it.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

That’s going back to 2020-21 which will drop off eventually - and that was a £10m loss adjusted for COVID.  2021–22 wasn’t impacted by COVID and we racked up a £50m loss.  The COVID year will move off the books soon. 

Read Maquire's piece on it. 2021-22 accounts have not been released either and you're forgetting the owners have put money into the club this last year. I don't know where you're getting the 50 million figure from as the operating loss for the previous published accounts 2020-21 was £13.7 min

As far the transfer crack.

I was pretty vocal that I thought we needed an extra body in the middle. It wouldn't have mattered today though.

First off we know Howe almost always beds new players in. He'd have started his tried and trusted and possibly brought fresh legs off the bench. 

Secondly, it's been pretty widely reported that none of preferred targets were available until the summer. Any signing would have most likely been a loan and no where near the quality of Bruno. Until we have sufficient depth in the middle we'll always miss him unfortunately.

Like it or not this is a slow build, the club don't want to sign players for the sake of it. The good news is that Bruno is back in two games time, Gordon looked really sharp and Isak is looking the part and will return next week, so we do have options to freshen things up. 

There's still half a season to go, that's why any talk of Champions League being within our grasp is premature. With the strength and depth of our squad, we're still punching well above our weight. Top six would be a superb season, top four would be a minor miracle and with the form of Chelsea and Liverpool, we're still well positioned to challange for the latter. 21 games gone and we're still fourth, with a four points gap to fifth, we should be over the moon really.

30 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Well we needed to get a midfielder anyway. Only Bruno can break the lines with his ball carrying and passing.

Without him, it's tremendously work-man like in there.

Of course we did but stop using a player who wouldn’t have been available Any way to moan about today. 

10 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Come on man. More often than not, every single team has a period over a season where they’re a bit flat. We’re having ours now and we aren’t losing, it’s a positive.

We are due to give someone a spanking soon. Keep the faith mate. We are going good. 

Hopefully mate. 🤞🏻

Just now, Rich said:

We'd abandoned it midway through the second half. Joelinton moved to the right with Longstaff back in the middle.

Yeah, seemed to move things about further when the subs started being made. Going into the next two games, I just hope we do something a bit different to start.

Not sure the balance of the team worked well with how we started today. Really need to figure out how to setup with both ASM and Willock in the team, as I didn't like the look of it today.

Almost think we'd have been better off having Willock play off Wilson and then having Joe and Longstaff as a two behind him.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, seemed to move things about further when the subs started being made. Going into the next two games, I just hope we do something a bit different to start.

Not sure the balance of the team worked well with how we started today. Really need to figure out how to setup with both ASM and Willock in the team, as I didn't like the look of it today.

Almost think we'd have been better off having Willock play off Wilson and then having Joe and Longstaff as a two behind him.

I think both ASM and Willock will be on the bench soon enough, if everyone else is fit/free of suspension.

Just now, et tu brute said:

Read Maquire's piece on it. 2021-22 accounts have not been released either and you're forgetting the owners have put money into the club this last year. I don't know where you're getting the 50 million figure from as the operating loss for the previous published accounts 2020-21 was £13.7 min

Owners putting money doesn’t count towards FFP - I didn’t forget; it doesn’t count.  That’s how teams with super rich owners can’t simply buy their way out of FFP.  £13.7m is worse than £10m, of course.

I’d read projections of a £50m loss - if that’s not the case, fair dos.  But any loss would then mean that losses in 2022-23 (this year) would be strictly limited.  And 2023-24 would be hampered by losses in 2021-22 and 2022-23.

They have to play it smart otherwise you can get snookered by it.  Yes, transfers are amortised, but wages aren’t - and we’ve got a massive wage bill relative to income.  Commercial deals in the next couple of years will mean these issues will dry up. 

Just now, maze said:

Howe seems allergic to rotation. Starting  (nearly) the same 11 game after game causes fatigue and the opponents will eventually know how to battle us. 

We don’t really have options today, everyone has been crying out for ASM to start (me included) and he was out worst player.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

As far the transfer crack.

I was pretty vocal that I thought we needed an extra body in the middle. It wouldn't have mattered today though.

First off we know Howe almost always beds new players in. He'd have started his tried and trusted and possibly brought fresh legs off the bench. 

Secondly, it's been pretty widely reported that none of preferred targets were available until the summer. Any signing would have most likely been a loan and no where near the quality of Bruno. Until we have sufficient depth in the middle we'll always miss him unfortunately.

Like it or not this is a slow build, the club don't want to sign players for the sake of it. The good news is that Bruno is back in two games time, Gordon looked really sharp and Isak is looking the part and will return next week, so we do have options to freshen things up. 

There's still half a season to go, that's why any talk of Champions League being within our grasp is premature. With the strength and depth of our squad, we're still punching well above our weight. Top six would be a superb season, top four would be a minor miracle and with the form of Chelsea and Liverpool, we're still well positioned to challange for the latter. 21 games gone and we're still fourth, with a four points gap to fifth, we should be over the moon really.

This is probably the most well rounded and fair post in this thread....

1 minute ago, maze said:

Howe seems allergic to rotation. Starting  (nearly) the same 11 game after game causes fatigue and the opponents will eventually know how to battle us. 

Ah yes, I too would have started...

*Looks at bench from today*

Ryan Fraser

4 minutes ago, maze said:

Fuck me sideways. Who, out of our squad, would you "rotate" ffs

We've 15 players then it's Murphy etc etc

Can't grumble about a draw today, thought it was the right result all things considered. I'd have loved to have won it but realistically we probably didn't do enough to win it. 

Still think that teams may well have sussed us to some extent and are better prepared for what we do now but we need to cope with that for the next 18 games. Having Isak and Bruno available tonight would have been the difference but that's the way it goes. It's another point and let's look forward 

7 minutes ago, maze said:

Shelvey, ASM and Isak have been long term absentees, until recently our best options off the bench were Jacob Murphy and Chris Wood.

Shit the bed after the first 20 mins, still got a point, meh.... could have been worse. 

Wasn't a fun watch. 

Gordon looked bright, didn't like him holding his left hammy mind.. hope it's nowt. 

On to the next. 

Some folk in the ground need to give their heads a shake.

Going to the match just to scream about how everyone in a black and white shirt is a useless cunt. 

Season ticket holders who seem to delight in being loudmouth negative twats. This isn’t the Ashley era. The season is exceeding all expectations. 

We don’t need to be happy clappy blind optimists but fucking hell, if someone’s  idea of supporting the club is spending hundreds a year just to stand and shout their mouth off calling every player a cunt then that cash would probably be better spent if they had a weekly session with a therapist. 

And let someone who actually wants to support the side have that season ticket. 

Edited by bobbydazzla