Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

7 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Big difference between being ungrateful for how much we’ve improved and recognising the sliding doors potential of grabbing top 4 (or not) this season. I think folk, myself included, are just aware we were only a couple of signings away from nailing that on, and yet we’ve had a pretty complacent transfer window. That and the fact we’re no longer scoring goals.

It's impossible to say a couple of signings would "nail on" a top four finish, there's just too long to go.

It certainly would have helped us to rest and rotate in certain positions, but then I don't think it was for a lack of intent. More the lack of options in the market.

We blow very hot and cold in front of goal. We've had a spell where we massively overperformed xG and two spells now we've underperformed it, so we're still balancing out somewhere close to the mean. Hopefully Gordon and Isak will help freshen that up a bit.

My biggest concern is fatigue. A couple of signings certainly might have helped reduce that.

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Happens

You don't win every game you're logical favourites for

when Ipswich were sunk without a trace, against KK's entertainers they drew 1-1 here.

Southampton did the double over us when we finished 3rd under KK.

Mackems went down in 96/97 and drew 1-1 here, we finished 2nd qualified for the CL. (Man U drew at home to relegated Boro, lost at the mackems but won the league).

28-year-old records have little bearing on now, like. Bournemouth, Palace (twice), Leeds, West Ham and Wolves we all haven't beaten. 3rd/4th place teams not beating those in the bottom 5, especially at home, is surely poor? 

7 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

No to get into Europe you need to finish in the European places. 

If only it was that simplistic. :lol: Not trying to sound like a patronising arse btw, but with Liverpool and Man City being 2 of our next 3 after taking 2 points from our previous 'winnable games' is not exactly confidence filling. 

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's impossible to say a couple of signings would "nail on" a top four finish, there's just too long to go.

It certainly would have helped us to rest and rotate in certain positions, but then I don't think it was for a lack of intent. More the lack of options in the market.

We blow very hot and cold in front of goal. We've had a spell where we massively overperformed xG and two spells now we've underperformed it, so we're still balancing out somewhere close to the mean. Hopefully Gordon and Isak will help freshen that up a bit.

My biggest concern is fatigue. A couple of signings certainly might have helped reduce that.

If we had made a couple of signings, which would’ve likely came with January premium, we would then be handcuffing ourselves for future windows.

The owners have said since day one that they are long term, patient investors and that we won’t typically act in the January window. Let’s see what the summer brings. 

Under previous managers we would have been hanging on with our entire team behind the ball in the last 10 minutes. 

I just love how high we can press teams so obviously it's going to make them hard to break down,once Gordon and Isak are in full flow we'll be an even stronger team. 

Also impressed with how Maxi tracked back and won the ball today, he's a big player for us. Would be gutted if he left. 

Seven of our starting eleven were being told fifteen months ago they were barely good enough for the championship. Sixteen league games unbeaten, a draw that we probably win nine times out of ten against a side that are just turning their season around that have been underachievers and have a better squad than us on paper, not to mention a world class performance from a world class player in Rice, we're still miles ahead of schedule.

39 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Some folk in the ground need to give their heads a shake.

Going to the match just to scream about how everyone in a black and white shirt is a useless cunt. 

Season ticket holders who seem to delight in being loudmouth negative twats. This isn’t the Ashley era. The season is exceeding all expectations. 

We don’t need to be happy clappy blind optimists but fucking hell, if someone’s  idea of supporting the club is spending hundreds a year just to stand and shout their mouth off calling every player a cunt then that cash would probably be better spent if they had a weekly session with a therapist. 

And let someone who actually wants to support the side have that season ticket. 

Sad but not surprised to hear that the players were on the receiving end of aggro or faced a general lack of support from certain sections of the crowd.

The people who chastise Eddie Howe's Newcastle team are the same who were on cloud nine whenever Steve Bruce's team got a result or two. People incapable of seeing (or refusing to consider) the bigger picture. All about the day itself.

It's kinda got lost in the joyous mayhem post-takeover that a not-insignificant percentage of the SJP crowd are arseholes. 

2 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

It’s contextual as Ronaldo said, if you get a window in the league that we have this season with the fall of others you should be looking to exploit that. That’s not complaining really just a missed opportunity imo

I see what you're saying, but which players were realistically available for us to buy?

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

28-year-old records have little bearing on now, like. Bournemouth, Palace (twice), Leeds, West Ham and Wolves we all haven't beaten. 3rd/4th place teams not beating those in the bottom 5, especially at home, is surely poor? 

If only it was that simplistic. :lol: Not trying to sound like a patronising arse btw, but with Liverpool and Man City being 2 of our next 3 after taking 2 points from our previous 'winnable games' is not exactly confidence filling. 

Teams hit hot and cold spells, it's why we're competing for the top four and not the title.

I also think we have a decent chance of beating Liverpool.  They won't sit in and are a hot mess at the back at the moment.

We're looking tired. Still putting the effort in, still playing our game, but tiredness is taking away our sharpness imo, and making us more one dimensional.

I still believe like, but I hope Eddie and co can get some energy and focus back into the team.

Just now, UncleBingo said:

I see what you're saying, but which players were realistically available for us to buy?

I don’t know based on my own knowledge of what’s out there, just seemed a missed chance with Liverpool and Chelsea faltering so badly. I’m over the moon with the season as a whole. I’m a big believer in standing still sends you backwards. Overall I’m delighted with the season 

1 minute ago, UncleBingo said:

Even a loan deal could have helped, we didn’t necessarily need to get someone better then Bruno either as some keep saying, getting better than Willock or Longstaff would still give us more options.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Even a loan deal could have helped, we didn’t necessarily need to get someone better then Bruno either as some keep saying, getting better than Willock or Longstaff would still give us more options.

I think someone who can even just play the role Bruno can to a relatively high level like you say. None of the others can 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Sad but not surprised to hear that the players were on the receiving end of aggro or faced a general lack of support from certain sections of the crowd.

The people who chastise Eddie Howe's Newcastle team are the same who were on cloud nine whenever Steve Bruce's team got a result or two. People incapable of seeing (or refusing to consider) the bigger picture. All about the day itself.

It's kinda got lost in the joyous mayhem post-takeover that a not-insignificant percentage of the SJP crowd are arseholes. 

Spot on. If you can’t enjoy this season well you just have to wonder if deep down you’re unhappy.

People forget we massively over achieving. If we could win cup and finish 7th i'd be over the moon. Expectations of fans will kill us if we get into Europe given meltdown tonight. I'd rather build thd squad anf get there following season

Edited by NUFC91

Out of interest, which of these players do you think would make any other top 4 side? It’s worth remembering that we are massively overachieving with the players we have. The years of underinvestment will take the equivalent number of years to repair. There is a window this season to sneak a top 4 but I think it’s only fans that worry about other teams tbh. Fair sure the people at the club are just focused on our own club’s improvement and doing things in the right way. We keep hearing about the process. If this is the process in very very happy with it.

Edited by AJ9

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It’s worth repeating that the fans are the best and worst thing about NUFC.

Just now, The Prophet said:

If they're not as good as Bruno, there will still be a drop off of sorts, no?

Yeah for sure but I don’t think as much as a precipitous one as we saw today. But yeah for sure. We had absolutely zero control over the midfield today, worst I’ve seen us 

15 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I didn’t hear any moaning in the stadium today like. The odd moan and groan and misplaced passes, but certainly no booing or anything.

I think today was quite simply a comedown after Tuesday. The players generally looked leggy… this coming week will do them good… and the fans too. A lot of emotion came out on Tuesday. Today was always going to be a tricky game on the back of that.

4 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Yeah for sure but I don’t think as much as a precipitous one as we saw today. But yeah for sure. We had absolutely zero control over the midfield today, worst I’ve seen us 

Was not also partially down to how well the opponent played too? Plus as said, it's unlikely any new signing would have started today.