Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

We never had top 4 guaranteed and there is no move that assures anything. Some of you lot just love to frustrate yourselves.

The same bunch that have got us here well ahead of schedule did not feel confident in any of the options in midfield available during the window, to bring in to help the team, but still the experts on here seem to know better and have something to whinge about again.

It's mostly the same bunch that where whinging and bitching about how awful a player Gordon is, and flooding his thread with post after post stating that as fact. And after merely a 15 mins cameo they are slithering around and saying something completely different now.

Some of you really need to get a grip. It's embarrassing.

Couldn't agree with you more, @KaKa. This is an iterative build of a team for sustained success. I get why a good number are frustrated, we're most definitely punching above our weight sitting in the top 4. I don't see this group we have in charge deviating from the plan they've set out for the next 5 years. Look at other clubs spending stupid money, it doesn't necessarily translate to success.

People in here are throwing around a lot of "what ifs?" like it's a guarantee spending will see us in the top 4, doesn't work like that and I respect Howe, Ashworth et al sticking to the process. 

Starting to see the fact that we’re really working with a squad of 14/15 players. We have no depth in the squad and that’s going to take another couple of years to sort. It’s remarkable that we are where we are considering we’ve got a got first XI and not much else.

Waking up today and not feeling entirely good. Yes, unbeaten run continues, Wilson scored and Gordon made a good debut. But reality is, in the league, its 1 win in 5 now. Not that its bad, but hopefully we get out of this 'form' soon and not get worse. Players obviously look leggy, and the coaching team probably will have to tweak something to shake up things for the better. Having said that, still proud of how they have performed all season and will be happy with a decent end to this season.

Edited by nufcjb

The squad isn't big enough (esp. in terms of quality) not to tail off. Howe's great but he's not a miracle worker and keeping up with the resources of Man City etc. isn't realistic. It's amazing to have achieved what we have so far.

1 hour ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Starting to see the fact that we’re really working with a squad of 14/15 players. We have no depth in the squad and that’s going to take another couple of years to sort. It’s remarkable that we are where we are considering we’ve got a got first XI and not much else.

Yeah great point. Second half of the season the team is going to start feeling leggy and that will translate into some difficult draws at home against well set up teams imo. After the next transfer window you’d hope 14/15 quality players will go up to 19/20 for example. 

Our second half of the season was always going to be about how we manage to break teams down at home. I think Isak, Gordon and possibly Targett being used a bit more at home will help a lot with this. 

Seen various comments on here recently and on Twitter saying Declan Rice overrated, yeah right 😂😂

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Some plus points, particularly Gordon. I just don't think ASM suits our side any more. He plays in bursts, which may be something to do with that muscular physique of his, as much as his mindset. Gordon gave us the sustained pace and energy that we needed.

I also thought there was just a sign of Anderson fulfilling his obvious potential. He seemed to be imposing himself a bit more, and trying to make things happen with some confidence.

Don't feel as bad this morning but it's still a naff feeling. Sorely miss Bruno and Isak was a miss also tbh, as Gordon aside we had nothing to bring off the bench yesterday. Maybe a hangover from Tuesday may have played a part, who knows. But honestly thought we needed 9 points from Palace, yesterday and Bournemouth to give us a real chance of staying in the top 4 so the arse is twitching a bit now. 

The bigger picture though is we're 4th after 21 games and have come a hell of a long way in such a short period of time. No huge reason to feel down about anything regarding this football club atm. Onto Bournemouth, 3 points pleeeeease.

Just watching the highlights back and I know people have been moaning about set-piece delivery, but we should’ve scored two from excellent deliveries yesterday. Schar first half and Wilson second half are both great chances.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Don't feel as bad this morning but it's still a naff feeling. Sorely miss Bruno and Isak was a miss also tbh, as Gordon aside we had nothing to bring off the bench yesterday. Maybe a hangover from Tuesday may have played a part, who knows. But honestly thought we needed 9 points from Palace, yesterday and Bournemouth to give us a real chance of staying in the top 4 so the arse is twitching a bit now. 

The bigger picture though is we're 4th after 21 games and have come a hell of a long way in such a short period of time. No huge reason to feel down about anything regarding this football club atm. Onto Bournemouth, 3 points pleeeeease.

Similar feelings to me. Thing is we can’t will it into reality, top 4 (or any other ‘desirable outcome’). Note to myself after yesterday’s disappointment, I’m going to try to just observe and enjoy. We are finishing top six. We are going to a cup final. We have the foundations for further improvements next season. What a time to be a fan of NUFC. Anything else is a bonus.

Even if we do drop off which everyone seems to be predicting. Then it's more important than ever to support Howe, the players and the whole club!!

I'll not hold my breath though. Must be up there with the worst fans in the country. Not just in the ground but social media as well. Pissing me off more by the week

Just now, Gallowgate Toon said:

Going to be sod's law this season that we barely see Bruno and Isak on the pitch together.

Aye, sitting through the Southampton game I thought that we'd finally see it this month, but then Bruno gets sent off and Isak gets concussed within the same 90 seconds. :lol:

13 hours ago, KaKa said:

We never had top 4 guaranteed and there is no move that assures anything. Some of you lot just love to frustrate yourselves.

The same bunch that have got us here well ahead of schedule did not feel confident in any of the options in midfield available during the window, to bring in to help the team, but still the experts on here seem to know better and have something to whinge about again.

It's mostly the same bunch that where whinging and bitching about how awful a player Gordon is, and flooding his thread with post after post stating that as fact. And after merely a 15 mins cameo they are slithering around and saying something completely different now.

This. 100% this. 

Rewatched the game and felt it was the middle where we came up short even though they all played well.

As much as I like Longstaff and felt he would be suitable for that role at the base of the midfield, I cant quite help but think it's the little things he can't do which make the biggest impact on the rest of the team, such as his inability to beat a man and open up more angles or him only really playing the way he was facing - just little things like that can stifle how the rest of the team perform imo and it showed yesterday.

I thought Longstaff was one of our better players yesterday to be honest - Willock needs a rest but we can't give it to him. Feel like Gordon/Isak will create space for our players to run into. I like Burn but he's very limited in my opinion. Cracking defender but basically playing with no attacking options on the left when he plays.

3 minutes ago, Menace said:

I thought Longstaff was one of our better players yesterday to be honest - Willock needs a rest but we can't give it to him. Feel like Gordon/Isak will create space for our players to run into. I like Burn but he's very limited in my opinion. Cracking defender but basically playing with no attacking options on the left when he plays.

Aye I thought he was very good tbf, but I just felt there was not as much urgency to get the ball from the defenders like there is with Bruno and times where he did, he'd take the easy option rather than what Bruno would do and turn out to open up play more and it was those little things which made the biggest differences imo.

32 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

It’s fine margins in games like this.  I’ve just watched the highlights and Wilson simply HAS to score that header for someone of his ability. 

I was more disappointed he didn’t even manage to get a shot off for the one on one.

I'd be very tempted to go for this at Bournemouth:

Back four

Longstaff     Willock

Miggy              Isak              Joelinton 

Wilson

Let's get Wilson and Isak on the pitch together.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Longstaff     Joelinton

Gordon              Willock              Isak 

Wilson

How about ☝️ Industry and creativity in abundance. 

10 minutes ago, STM said:

I'd be very tempted to go for this at Bournemouth:

Back four

Longstaff     Willock

Miggy              Isak              Joelinton 

Wilson

Definitely. Wilson needs it. Maybe Gordon on the left with Joe alongside Longstaff. 

15 hours ago, KaKa said:

[emoji38]

We’ve underplayed our card in multiple windows now like. We’re well ahead of schedule because tactically Howe has squeezed what he can from a limited squad but it’s hardly embarrassing to point out that we should have stronger options in midfield especially.

Hopefully by the summer our scouting system is in a far better place to identify targets, because everyone we’re going for at the minute seems to still be Howe/Nickson.