Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

17 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

We don’t really have options today, everyone has been crying out for ASM to start (me included) and he was out worst player.

ASM hasn't been the same player (as we remember under Bruce) for a very long time. 

The way we are playing now does not suit or support the type of player he is. 
Unless he can be the focal point he doesn't thrive.

Edited by maze

3 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

[emoji38]

We’ve underplayed our card in multiple windows now like. We’re well ahead of schedule because tactically Howe has squeezed what he can from a limited squad but it’s hardly embarrassing to point out that we should have stronger options in midfield especially.

Hopefully by the summer our scouting system is in a far better place to identify targets, because everyone we’re going for at the minute seems to still be Howe/Nickson.

You're changing the narrative though.

I was responding to people that have been stating matter of factly that getting in a midfielder would have guaranteed top 4, which is nonsense.

Besides it has been stated enough times by the lot in charge that they are not going to sign players they haven't collected a lot of information on and that they really like, whether we like it or not. The midfield options they prefer were not available in January and so be it.

A big part of them doing so well is that they are working with players they know well and have full confidence in, and so it's really difficult to knock their approach. But here we are anyway, with people being impatient and not paying any mind or attention to what they have been saying.

57 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I was responding to people that have been stating matter of factly that getting in a midfielder would have guaranteed top 4, which is nonsense.

Besides it has been stated enough times by the lot in charge that they are not going to sign players they haven't collected a lot of information on and that they really like, whether we like it or not. The midfield options they prefer were not available in January and so be it.

A big part of them doing so well is that they are working with players they know well and have full confidence in, and so it's really difficult to knock their approach. But here we are anyway, with people being impatient and not paying any mind or attention to what they have been saying.

The club have told reporters they didn't buy a midfielder because none of their preferred targets were available.

You then have two options, you bring in someone that you're not fully sold on or you pay an obscene amount of money to ensure your preferred target is available.

It's a slow build so they opted to do neither. That player might increase our chances of CL football, but there's so long to go other factors will play a part too, there's no guarantee and there's no rush. It won't be long before we're competing on consistent basis, it'll just take a bit more time and investment.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

I mean it’s not guarantee but getting another midfielder massively increases our odds like. We’re basically hoping Isak/Bruno stay fit and Howe continues to turn water into wine.

You then have two options, you bring in someone that you're not fully sold on or you pay an obscene amount of money to ensure your preferred target is available.

It’s been two windows now though and all we’ve done to our midfield is sell Shelvey for a ‘nominal fee’.

It’s a pretty clear failure on our part imo.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I mean it’s not guarantee but getting another midfielder massively increases our odds like. We’re basically hoping Isak/Bruno stay fit and Howe continues to turn water into wine.

It’s been two windows now though and all we’ve done to our midfield is sell Shelvey for a ‘nominal fee’.

We brought in Bruno in the first.

5 hours ago, jack j said:

Even if we do drop off which everyone seems to be predicting. Then it's more important than ever to support Howe, the players and the whole club!!

I'll not hold my breath though. Must be up there with the worst fans in the country. Not just in the ground but social media as well. Pissing me off more by the week

Absolutely this, it’s like the idiots have forgotten the last 14 years 

1 hour ago, maze said:

ASM hasn't been the same player (as we remember under Bruce) for a very long time. 

The way we are playing now does not suit or support the type of player he is. 
Unless he can be the focal point he doesn't thrive.

Absolutely this, if we insist on playing ASM we might be better off using him as a replacement striker 

I haven't reflected much on yesterday's match but what I will say is this:

That game was coming, and we were lucky we got an early goal because we didn't look like scoring for the rest of the game IMO. On the other hand, we didn't give West Ham a sniff in the second half.

Worth remembering that West Ham have a top 8 squad. Loads of quality, so despite their league position, it was never going to be easy.

ASM was awful, I mean truly awful. I've seem some defending him but why? Why can't we call a spade a spade without having an alternative motive. He was shite and will be lucky to be in the team next week.

My main view is that this team has been in need of an injection of energy for a while. Miggy, Bruno and Wilson have looked jaded. So long as the defence is unchanged, I wouldn't be opposed to starting Isak, ASM, Gordon or even Murphy, just to give us a spark.

Something offensively needs to be tweeked. Give Miggy a rest and see if we can reboot him. We've lacked cutting edge for a while.

We are in a great place. Something needs adjusted, that's all.

Edited by STM

6 hours ago, jack j said:

Even if we do drop off which everyone seems to be predicting. Then it's more important than ever to support Howe, the players and the whole club!!

I'll not hold my breath though. Must be up there with the worst fans in the country. Not just in the ground but social media as well. Pissing me off more by the week

This club has been nothing but negativity for circa 14 years. Now we have hope and genuine positivity, but rather than focus on that some love to revel in the few negatives there are, nothing is ever good enough. Sign players and spend a fortune, not enough players. Find in ourselves in a position beyond all reasonable expectation, it's a missed opportunity if we don't stay there. It's exhausting.

I'll also qualify thay by saying there's a difference between that and pointing out legitimate concerns, it doesn't apply to everyone.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I haven't reflected much on yesterday's match but what I will say is this:

That game was coming, and we were lucky we got an early goal because we didn't look like scoring for the rest of the game IMO. On the other hand, we didn't give West Ham a sniff in the second half.

Worth remembering that West Ham have a top 8 squad. Loads of quality, so despite their league position, it was never going to be easy.

ASM was awful, I mean truly awful. I've seem some defending him but why? Why can't we call a spade a spade without having an alternative motive. He was shite and will be lucky to be in the team next week.

My main view is that this team has been in need of an injection of energy for a while. Miggy, Bruno and Wilson have looked jaded. So long as the defence is unchanged, I wouldn't be opposed to starting Isak, ASM, Gordon or even Murphy, just to give us a spark.

Something offensively needs to be tweeted. Give Miggy a rest and see if we can reboot him. We've lacked cutting edge for a while.

We are in a great place. Something needs adjusted, that's all.

The problem with miggy is he’s so scared to even try using his right foot and that’s why he will be replaced(top players will use both), he got into some positions yesterday and just wouldn’t swing his right foot. 

It might be controversial but I honestly think bringing Murphy in for a game on the right wouldn't hurt. He will put right foot crosses in and we know he does the press well.

I'm saying all this, I'm fairly certain that Howe will start the same side next week.

One thing that bugged me yesterday and seems to be happening alot in games where the other team are running down the clock and trying to get a point at our ground. There was only 3 mins added on?

Considering there must have been atleast 7 subs or something in total, plus injury stoppages etc I just find that odd. 

Yet when we play in any games where we are "shit housing" as people accuse. It's like 8 or 9 mins that end up getting added on. 

Small details that may not change results but I noticed it today and against palace.

17 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Nope, but I wouldn't be overly concerned if he did start. I'd rather Trippier but Ashby is ready. The west ham fans couldn't understand why he wasn't starting.

He didn't even make the bench this weekend I'm not sure how ready you think he is

We've got two huge games against Liverpool and Bournemouth we're in no position to rest trippier

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It's a failure if you've completely ignored what they've stated all along about this being a gradual build, with a strict plan in place.

Many of you convinced yourselves it was a ruse to keep transfer fees down, and now are getting worked up about it, well that's on you.