Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (04/02/2023)

Rich

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's a failure if you've completely ignored what they've stated all along about this being a gradual build, with a strict plan in place.

Many of you convinced yourselves it was a ruse to keep transfer fees down, and now are getting worked up about it, well that's on you.

Don’t you think it’s a bit daft and poor planning to go into half a season with 4 midfielders to fill 3 slots?

It’s fine to be happy with how the club have progressed but be able to point out mistakes when they happen.

8 hours ago, jack j said:

Even if we do drop off which everyone seems to be predicting. Then it's more important than ever to support Howe, the players and the whole club!!

I'll not hold my breath though. Must be up there with the worst fans in the country. Not just in the ground but social media as well. Pissing me off more by the week

This is spot on too. 

5 minutes ago, Smal said:

Don’t you think it’s a bit daft and poor planning to go into half a season with 4 midfielders to fill 3 slots?

It’s fine to be happy with how the club have progressed but be able to point out mistakes when they happen.

No I don't, because I doubt it was done flippantly. I'm pretty certain they weighed up all of their options before making that decision.

I'm also pretty certain, Howe will play more two man midfield setups to mitigate this, Pairing Isak with Wilson at times, as well as playing Gordon off the striker at times too.

8 hours ago, jack j said:

Even if we do drop off which everyone seems to be predicting. Then it's more important than ever to support Howe, the players and the whole club!!

I'll not hold my breath though. Must be up there with the worst fans in the country. Not just in the ground but social media as well. Pissing me off more by the week

Yeah seems like folk only want to sing for a couple of minutes after we score then sit back in silence. Wasn’t there on Saturday so can’t comment, but at times on Tuesday the team needed a lift and the place was silent.

Our reputation as great fans is a myth sadly on the evidence of this season and no amount of flag waving is going to mask it.

Doesn't it just all boil down to us not expecting Shelvey to be sold?

We were never likely to recruit our next 'proper' centre-midfielder in the last few days of this window; that's a really important signing to get right if we're going to sustain our position in the top places. So, in the absence of securing that target, we're looking at short term options. What sort of player are we going to attract to just fill-in for a few months?

I can see why Howe might look at that sort of recruitment as a fairly unnecessary risk. Especially seeing as we haven't even had that extra midfielder available to us all season. 

16 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's a failure if you've completely ignored what they've stated all along about this being a gradual build, with a strict plan in place.

Many of you convinced yourselves it was a ruse to keep transfer fees down, and now are getting worked up about it, well that's on you.

Did we? [emoji38]

The idea of an ‘FFP budget’ has never made any sense and it still doesn’t.

And it’s a failure because our midfield is worse than it was 2 windows ago despite us obviously trying to strengthen it. I’m not sure how we can glam it up tbh? Our quest to improve our midfield has demonstrably failed [emoji38]

31 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Maybe they need to be more flexible with their strict plan then? If they didn't see the Shelvey deal coming they still had time to bring in another midfielder. Even someone like Berge as a stop gap

Having two of our three midfielders on yellow cards snookered us a bit yesterday too, especially when Joelinton had to play as the number 6

23 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I'm also pretty certain, Howe will play more two man midfield setups to mitigate this, Pairing Isak with Wilson at times, as well as playing Gordon off the striker at times too.

That seems unlikely to me, but even if it does happen it’s not great to have to switch system from one that’s been working so well half way through the season because you’ve sold players without replacing them.

Bruno is missing so Anderson was the only midfield player we could bring on yesterday. It’s not great is it.

Edited by Smal

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Did we? [emoji38]

The idea of an ‘FFP budget’ has never made any sense and it still doesn’t.

And it’s a failure because our midfield is worse than it was 2 windows ago despite us obviously trying to strengthen it. I’m not sure how we can glam it up tbh? Our quest to improve our midfield has demonstrably failed [emoji38]

You've decided their FFP claims don't make sense and so you'll always be frustrated. You'll have to take that up with the club!

Well if the manager himself is set on the players he wans to bring in and is unwilling to shift on that matter. then again, you can take that up with him. He's arguably been the best manager in the league this year though, so good luck with that. Maybe, just maybe he's got a plan in place to make it all work until the summer.

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

That seems unlikely to me, but even if it does happen it’s not great to have to switch system from one that’s been working so well half way through the season because you’ve not sold players without replacing them.

Bruno is missing so Anderson was the only midfield player we could bring on yesterday. It’s not great is it.

Well we'll all see how it all plays out. I think you underestimate the manager's ability to play different systems.

He really even only started using that 4-3-3 as his main system, as an adjustment  based on plyer availability and options at the club at the time.

He was initially going with more of a similar setup to what he had at Bournemouth with Joelinton as a second striker off of Wilson.

15 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Maybe they need to be more flexible with their strict plan then? If they didn't see the Shelvey deal coming they still had time to bring in another midfielder. Even someone like Berge as a stop gap

Having two of our three midfielders on yellow cards snookered us a bit yesterday too, especially when Joelinton had to play as the number 6

I would have liked them to be more flexible myself, but the word is that Howe has been very particular about who is brought in.

If the manager himself prefers to make it work until the summer where he can then pursue the best options for that position, I'm not sure what else you can do.

I think in the meantime, we'll see different setups used at certain points, just like we did towards the end of the game against Fulham where Wilson and Isak linked up to win the game at the end.

Edited by KaKa

Your talking past people pata is absolutely shite man Kaka. The best way to get around FFP is to buy players, it's not a hard concept. You buy players, they raise in value, you sell them.

I don't know how there's any argument for an 'FFP budget' when we know this? We're not at a level where we can consistently make insane captures like Brighton, but we're still not hamstrung by FFP in the comically 2d manner journalists report.

And Howe probably has been the best manager in the league, that's sort of the point though, if he hadn't been completely ridiculous where exactly would this squad be at? He needs more help is the point, it'll surely come in time it's just frustrating that, after 3 windows, we still look pretty poor at identifying players.

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Your talking past people pata is absolutely shite man Kaka. The best way to get around FFP is to buy players, it's not a hard concept. You buy players, they raise in value, you sell them.

I don't know how there's any argument for an 'FFP budget' when we know this? We're not at a level where we can consistently make insane captures like Brighton, but we're still not hamstrung by FFP in the comically 2d manner journalists report.

And Howe probably has been the best manager in the league, that's sort of the point though, if he hadn't been completely ridiculous where exactly would this squad be at? He needs more help is the point, it'll surely come in time it's just frustrating that, after 3 windows, we still look pretty poor at identifying players.

I'm not talking past anyone.

The club are the ones that constantly refer to FFP when it comes to our buying of players, including the manager himself by the way.

You're now arguing that it isn't a thing, and that we are just poor at identifying players. And so you completely disagree with the ownership and the manager on that issue, Of course you have to then go and have that discussion with them then! 

Surely, that's where the conversation we're having ends?! I'm looking at things from the viewpoint of the information the club have put out. You're saying that information is invalid. Well ... at this point I don't know what else there is to say.

32 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I would have liked them to be more flexible myself, but the word is that Howe has been very particular about who is brought in.

If the manager himself prefers to make it work until the summer where he can then pursue the best options for that position, I'm not sure what else you can do.

I think in the meantime, we'll see different setups used at certain points, just like we did towards the end of the game against Fulham where Wilson and Isak linked up to win the game at the end.

The manager himself said he wanted another centre mid

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

The manager himself said he wanted another centre mid

And we didn’t want to waste money just for the sake of spending money, when none of our targets were available 

Edited by nufcnick

i agree we should have signed another CM over the summer.

howe said we had a few targets then and now.

the clubs wouldnt sell or the players wouldnt come.

if leicester or chelsea had to been open to selling we'd have snapped their hands off.

dan ashworth and howe are obviously shit at their jobs.

if only they'd signed up to this forum, they would have known to sign another midfielder.

Edited by huss9

:lol: such strawmanning. Surely you can air frustrations in not signing a centre mid in the summer or last month without thinking they're 'shit at their jobs'?

Edited by joeyt

Thought Wilson's 2 missed chances were the turning point but according to xG the free header was only 0.18 and the 1v1 was only 0.12, felt like much better quality chances. Also felt like huge moments in the game and season too.