Financial Fair Play (FFP)

Mattoon

Aren't City pretty much the only other PL team that don't absolutely loathe us and vote against us? Sure they abstained in votes when the takeover were taking place. Not exactly bezzies but not beyond the realms of possibility that the chiefs of both have been in contact about this both before and after the charges this morning. 

I think those who doubted also have their answer re the club’s seriousness re PL regs and FFP.  Staveley being pally with Masters these days is another clue.  I suspect the PL got assurances re NUFC’s model - off the record, of course.  The club will be grown in a measured, sustainable fashion.  This does not mean that the club won’t reach where PIF wants it - but it will take years of gradually increasing commercial deals (with reasonable separateness from PIF) to get to where they want to go.  A true 5-10 year plan.

So for those worried about NUFC re this, don’t be.  

13 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

This country should have the German Model (51+1) when it comes to ownership of clubs. It seems to work well over there.

Same team winning a second rate league every year at a canter isn't for some, however cheap the tickets may be (and rightly so given the product)

Edited by Jonas

6 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

This country should have the German Model (51+1) when it comes to ownership of clubs. It seems to work well over there.

50+1 refers to voting rights as opposed to actual company ownership. The clubs are still run by professionals as opposed to fans, who have zero say in daily business. It’s an illusion- good to an extent but also flawed in parts too. 

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think those who doubted also have their answer re the club’s seriousness re PL regs and FFP.  Staveley being pally with Masters these days is another clue.  I suspect the PL got assurances re NUFC’s model - off the record, of course.  The club will be grown in a measured, sustainable fashion.  This does not mean that the club won’t reach where PIF wants it - but it will take years of gradually increasing commercial deals (with reasonable separateness from PIF) to get to where they want to go.  A true 5-10 year plan.

So for those worried about NUFC re this, don’t be.  

I'm more than happy with the club taking that approach tbh

34 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Ironically I reckon Man City have evidence of the PL turning a blind eye to what they were doing for a few years as it was all well and good for the PL brand and Man City bringing the best players to the League.

Cross my palms with Silva as it were.

1 hour ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Is there any comparable cases. I remember Swindon getting demoted 1 division in 1990 for finances (Mackems spawning a free promotion) and Rangers got demoted 3 divisions for tax? Dunno if these are similar 

Only the lowest of the low would make under the counter payments to staff to subvert the financial fairplay rules of the league.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2018/2/28/17061448/the-moment-it-all-changed-for-sunderland-afc-an-illegal-payments-scandal-that-rocked-wearside

Personally, I'm kind of hoping nothing comes of this. I don't like the potential negatives that could come from it and affect us long term. I know that's selfish, but I also get the feeling the tighter these regs get, the less incentive there will be for owners like ours to stay in this league and potentially more leanings towards an American model for the Premiership, if that happens I'm out.

Edited by Armchair Pundit

58 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Same team winning a second rate league every year at a canter isn't for some, however cheap the tickets may be (and rightly so given the product)

The premier league model of rich oligarchs fighting each other with handfulls of cash is very exciting as morbid as it sounds. Literally every season is incredible, the football is great, the drama is high. City only won by a point last year and they cheated (Rodri handball v Everton).

Bayern have won every league since 2009...

If you were a City fan, having had the success they've had the last ten years, pretty much any punishment that can be dished out would be worth it, right? Doesn't matter to the average fan if they are stripped off their titles, they were still there (well some of them at least) for the AGUEEEEROOOOO moment, nothing can take that away. If that now means they are given a point deduction, hefty fine or even get relegated, they still surely wouldn't have changed a thing. 

22 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Personally, I'm kind of hoping nothing comes of this. I don't like the potential negatives that could come from it and affect us long term. I know that's selfish, but I also get the feeling the tighter these regs get, the less incentive there will be for owners like ours to stay in this league and potentially more leanings towards an American model for the Premiership, if that happens I'm out.

A lot of the charges aren't even due to how much they have spent on players.

It's back handers to managers and players and stuff like that.

I think we're in the clear, I wouldn't worry about us.