Financial Fair Play (FFP)

Mattoon

20 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Personally, I'm kind of hoping nothing comes of this. I don't like the potential negatives that could come from it and affect us long term. I know that's selfish, but I also get the feeling the tighter these regs get, the less incentive there will be for owners like ours to stay in this league and potentially more leanings towards an American model for the Premiership, if that happens I'm out.

There's no way they abandon the Football Pyramid. If they do, I'd be with you and would check out completely. 

City been caught out by rules brought in specifically to catch them out, errrrr I mean to protect smaller clubs that are part of their communities.

Now it not the same as bribing a referee but because of these new rules it amounts to cheating and its seasons of it not just one game, not so much ethically but by these rules they've invented it amounts to much the same thing.

Cant see anything being off the table as far as punishment goes that being the case.

49 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Stop crying your heart out.

WonderMillwall

Stoke Away (Slide Away) / Rotherham Away (Round Are Way) go great "Rotherham away the birds are singing" "Stoke away, give me all you got"

Edited by Wolfcastle

It seems this will rumble on for a while. I wonder how it will effect them in regard to transfers. Will players like Bellingham see this cloud and think better of it? I guess with some players money will talk.

55 minutes ago, Nobody said:

If you were a City fan, having had the success they've had the last ten years, pretty much any punishment that can be dished out would be worth it, right? Doesn't matter to the average fan if they are stripped off their titles, they were still there (well some of them at least) for the AGUEEEEROOOOO moment, nothing can take that away. If that now means they are given a point deduction, hefty fine or even get relegated, they still surely wouldn't have changed a thing. 

Titles taken away would surely ruin it.

Just think how massive that scandal would be though.  

Would be a proper sundering. 

14 minutes ago, Tisd09 said:

It seems this will rumble on for a while. I wonder how it will effect them in regard to transfers. Will players like Bellingham see this cloud and think better of it? I guess with some players money will talk.

I got some "friend of a friend" chat that Bellingham isn't entertaining Man City cos he wants to be a guaranteed starter and wouldn't get that under Pep.

They'll get hit but it'll be fairly mild imo. Talk of demotion and stripping of titles is way off beam. I reckon hefty fine, small points deduction and a transfer/European football ban of 2 years or something similar. The lawyers will eventually negotiate a deal whereby both sides save a bit of face and it won't be too draconian. 

1 minute ago, midds said:

They'll get hit but it'll be fairly mild imo. Talk of demotion and stripping of titles is way off beam. I reckon hefty fine, small points deduction and a transfer/European football ban of 2 years or something similar. The lawyers will eventually negotiate a deal whereby both sides save a bit of face and it won't be too draconian. 

That’s what I’m thinking too. If I were them, I’d just negotiate a points deduction quickly so it comes into force this season. They don’t look anywhere close to the usual title winning sides this year and they don’t want to get done next season where they’ll surely improve 

I don’t want any points taken off them this season. Whatever we earn I want it to be on our own merit and not tainted by “oh but you only got that because City got punished” etc.

I think we’re still right in the mix for where the title is going to end up.

Arsenal lose more points and then suddenly it gets very interesting.

15 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

I got some "friend of a friend" chat that Bellingham isn't entertaining Man City cos he wants to be a guaranteed starter and wouldn't get that under Pep.

Plus he'd rather not start in the Championship League potentially.

13 minutes ago, midds said:

100 violations? Small penalty?  The message would be very clear to all. Cheat away one and all. It's worth it.

Just now, McDog said:

100 violations? Small penalty?  The message would be very clear to all. Cheat away one and all. It's worth it.

We’re calmly sitting down taking all this in.. whatever happens, we’ll just continue on as is until there’s a clear message of - “the punishment will be fuck all” and then they’ll go full moneybags.

Big moment for the PL this.

Didn't Marseilles get stripped of the Champions League win in 93 for bribing referees/other teams in the build up to it?

Think their name on the opening credits of the shows was left off the following season but before long it was just treat like they won it as clean as anyone else.

Their owner Bernard Tapie living up to his name

Edited by Wolfcastle

14 minutes ago, McDog said:

I said they'll negotiate it. Lawyers will argue it down and down until it's at a stage whereby it doesn't hinder the club too much in the future. A reasonable compromise will be reached. They're not getting off with it but the headlines are a bit ott

20 minutes ago, McDog said:

Mandatory cheating is probably the fairest way. None of the underhandedness and favoured clubs.

Plus we'd be king dick.

13 minutes ago, midds said:

I said they'll negotiate it. Lawyers will argue it down and down until it's at a stage whereby it doesn't hinder the club too much in the future. A reasonable compromise will be reached. They're not getting off with it but the headlines are a bit ott

I do get what you are saying. Lawyers involved and all of that. If the headlines don't paint an accurate picture or it isn't clear cut what you say makes sense. If they are fucking cooking the books for years and it can be proven unless there is a political reason to go soft they have to throw the book at them, right?

18 minutes ago, midds said:

Yeah, there's no chance at all of anything truly drastic happening, I don't think. 

The Premier League's priority is the Premier League, and the idea of them taking an almighty sledgehammer to their own brand is pretty far-fetched when you think about it. Owning one of the sport's biggest scandals whilst illigitimising one of their competition's greatest ever teams - which has provided some of the greatest players, the most dramatic moments, arguably the best ever manager - just isn't going to happen. Especially not with the spectre of a breakaway league still very much looming; the need to stay as credible and as elite as possible remains as necessary as ever. 

I still have a modicum of hope that it'll prompt a change in attitudes and approaches, but the PL are just an irredeemable pack of self-serving hypercapitalists; there's no relying on them to instigate meaningful, beneficial change for the greater good. 

Not sure why people think this is will be swept underneath the rug. 

If that was the case, it wouldn't have got anywhere near this stage.   Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea were caught with their pants down in 2008 by the takeover - if given the chance again they would've pulled all the same stunts they used when they attempted to block the Saudis from buying us.

They may have formed an uneasy working truce, but the Premier League old guard will have been sharpening their knives for 14 years waiting for this moment.  It is also why we have been relatively restrained with splashing the cash, our ownership and exec team aren't going to let them slip the same noose around our neck.

Edited by Pandamninator

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, there's no chance at all of anything truly drastic happening, I don't think. 

The Premier League's priority is the Premier League, and the idea of them taking an almighty sledgehammer to their own brand is pretty far-fetched when you think about it. Owning one of the sport's biggest scandals whilst illigitimising one of their competition's greatest ever teams - which has provided some of the greatest players, the most dramatic moments, arguably the best ever manager - just isn't going to happen. Especially not with the spectre of a breakaway league still very much looming; the need to stay as credible and as elite as possible remains as necessary as ever. 

I still have a modicum of hope that it'll prompt a change in attitudes and approaches, but the PL are just an irredeemable pack of self-serving hypercapitalists; there's no relying on them to instigate meaningful, beneficial change for the greater good. 

It'll be a nothing fine, points deduction of like 15 or something insignificant. Ivan Toney is still kicking a ball in a sport they found him to be gambling on, it'll blow over until the next scandal hits the league.