Financial Fair Play (FFP)

Mattoon

Just now, Pandamninator said:

Not sure why people think this is will be swept underneath the rug. 

If that was the case, it wouldn't have got anywhere near this stage.   Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea were caught with their pants down in 2008 by the takeover - if given the chance again they would've pulled all the same stunts they used when they attempted to block the Saudis from buying us.

The may have formed an uneasy truce since than, but the Premier League old guard will have been sharpening their knives for 14 years waiting for this moment.  It is also why we have been relatively restrained with splashing the cash, our ownership and the exec team aren't going to let slip the same noose around our neck.

Let slip the dogs of war. I agree, restrained and smart approach.

9 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

This country should have the German Model (51+1) when it comes to ownership of clubs. It seems to work well over there.

It does, for Bayern Munich who win a fucking boring title race year in and year out with the odd exception. I’d rather have the PL as it is.

I think they'll be found guilty. Their spending looked suspicious from the start, and if evidence from hacked emails is allowed and clearly exposes subterfuge, they'll be bang to rights. The question mark is the nature of the punishment, which is difficult to predict as we're in new territory.

But whatever the outcome, the whole episode will be a warning to all clubs that the Premier League will hunt this kind of practice down, no matter how long it takes.

A lot of people welcomed the City takeover because they felt it would increase the competition, but City's objective has always seemed to be to kill off the competition, not enhance it. It's not in the League's interest for one club to establish a monopoly as in France or Germany.

8 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I think they'll be found guilty. Their spending looked suspicious from the start, and if evidence from hacked emails is allowed and clearly exposes subterfuge, they'll be bang to rights. The question mark is the nature of the punishment, which is difficult to predict as we're in new territory.

But whatever the outcome, the whole episode will be a warning to all clubs that the Premier League will hunt this kind of practice down, no matter how long it takes.

A lot of people welcomed the City takeover because they felt it would increase the competition, but City's objective has always seemed to be to kill off the competition, not enhance it. It's not in the League's interest for one club to establish a monopoly as in France or Germany.

If the evidence is all there then I think they might be looking at a points deduction this time. Just depends on how long it takes to go through what with legal challenges etc 

11 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

If the evidence is all there then I think they might be looking at a points deduction this time. Just depends on how long it takes to go through what with legal challenges etc 

If found guilty on all charges, and they've tried to cover it up and obstruct any investigation, then I'd hope the punishment would be more severe than that, given the length of time that this would have been going on. Personally, I'd drop them down a couple of divisions. 

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

Why?

Because they're the ones who've been hit the hardest by Man City disrupting their dominance whether it be titles or almost guaranteed CL qualifications every year. If they could return to 97-03 where it was pretty much just them with the occasional but not sustained threat from the likes of Leeds, us, pre-Roman Chelsea, they'd love it.

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Because they're the ones who've been hit the hardest by Man City disrupting their dominance whether it be titles or almost guaranteed CL qualifications every year. If they could return to 97-03 where it was pretty much just them with the occasional but not sustained threat from the likes of Leeds, us, pre-Roman Chelsea, they'd love it.

I'm not sure that would be possible now. Would further sanctions not help the likes of Brighton bridge the gap? If feels like the shit PL clubs these days are much closer to the elite than they were back then. Remember how bad the worst clubs were around then, Forest, Charlton, Wimbledon, Coventry etc stinking up the league for what seemed like a long time. Christ, we were utter shit but still managed mid table with a grandad John Barnes as top scorer. These days everyone has decent training facilities and a massive team of support staff in the background pulling all sorts of levers, I just feel like the gap whilst it still exists is nowhere near what it was.

10 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I hope they do clamp down. 

I actually would prefer a prolonged build towards success. I’ve waited all my life for us to actually compete properly. I don’t want to do it overnight. 

So, edging then

If Man City are in fact guilty, they've broken the law of the land and they fully deserve to have the book thrown at them.

With that said, I still feel uneasy about the whole affair. Man City have allegedly broken laws that were put in place that protect the status quo. FFP and the Profit and Sustainability laws merely ensure that those with vast revenues can spend the kind of cash that allows them to compete for honours. Man City may have gone a bit Kid Icarus, but all their owner has done is put them in a position where they can consistently compete at the top for as long as they possibly can. 

There's two problems at play here. Firstly, I don't like clubs such as Chelsea, Man City or ourselves being taken over by states or associates of the state and being able to spend grotesque amounts of money. At the same time that doesn't give clubs who already have a grip on the wealth and the honours that inevitably go with it to shut up shop and handicap the competition. The Premier League is an utter mess and it's all been done because their thirst for cash knows no bounds,. It really does need burning down and starting from scratch. 

9 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

I don’t want any points taken off them this season. Whatever we earn I want it to be on our own merit and not tainted by “oh but you only got that because City got punished” etc.

I think we’re still right in the mix for where the title is going to end up.

Arsenal lose more points and then suddenly it gets very interesting.

If they have cheated, then any punishment they recieve does not really mean we have achieved it for that reason, it will be on merit.

Personally, I am not sure we are in the title mix at all.  We have drawn too many games and we are still a few players short. Whilst I think we could sneak 4th, that in itself would be a monumental achievement, and that would have nothing to do with what happens with City IMO.  

They will likely get a punishment that curtails them for 18 months to 2 years. So probably a full season ban from all cup competitions, a 15 to 20 point deduction for a season and a transfer embago for 18 months. The idea though that they will get relegated or have trophies taken off them is a complete fantasy. They are currently the established number 1 elite club in the country and are not going anywhere, but the punishment will allow the other clubs....like us....to close the gap on them. It's a win-win for the PL as it will show them as being tough but also make the league even more competitive.

20 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If Man City are in fact guilty, they've broken the law of the land and they fully deserve to have the book thrown at them.

With that said, I still feel uneasy about the whole affair. Man City have allegedly broken laws that were put in place that protect the status quo. FFP and the Profit and Sustainability laws merely ensure that those with vast revenues can spend the kind of cash that allows them to compete for honours. Man City may have gone a bit Kid Icarus, but all their owner has done is put them in a position where they can consistently compete at the top for as long as they possibly can. 

There's two problems at play here. Firstly, I don't like clubs such as Chelsea, Man City or ourselves being taken over by states or associates of the state and being able to spend grotesque amounts of money. At the same time that doesn't give clubs who already have a grip on the wealth and the honours that inevitably go with it to shut up shop and handicap the competition. The Premier League is an utter mess and it's all been done because their thirst for cash knows no bounds,. It really does need burning down and starting from scratch. 

Yep.  It’s always worth remembering that the PL breakaway in 1992 was about the elite greedily hoarding wealth away from the rest of the footballing pyramid.  It had sod all to do with the quality of the ‘product’, nor the FA’s shameful reason behind backing it - the betterment of the England team (which incidentally was explained as the reason to reduce the number of games to be in line with Serie A of the time - an 18-team league. Funnily enough, that principle was also quickly forgotten …)

I imagine the absolute harshest penalty they may end up with is a 10-15 point deduction for next season. Which would likely cost them the league, but not a CL spot. 

Anything harsher and City (and their fans this time) will happily get the ESL train moving again. Which would destabilise the entire league.