Newcastle United vs. Liverpool - 18/02/23 @ 5:30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

4 minutes ago, Decky said:

We've over a week until the final after this so go full strength. No good reason to be resting our best players. Obviously there's a risk of injury and suspension but we're also in the race for Champions League football and there's a chance for a massive confidence boasting win here for the final too. 

Pretty sure this is how Eddie will see it too. 

Pope

Trippier (bring Ashby on for a debut at 70 mins if winning) Schar, Botman, Burn (but bring Lewis/Targett/Dummett at 60 mins)

Longstaff Joelinton

Almiron (bring ASM on at 60 mins) Isak (bring Murphy on at 80), Gordon 

Wilson (Bring Anderson on at 85, ASM to go up front)

I do agree that we lacked a bit of snap in midfield. We were weren't as combative and lost an unusual amount of 50-50s, but it's hard to tell if that was fatigue or not.

I think there's a lot of thing could have played into that, changing to an unfamiliar system midgame, a couple of players that are unfamiliar with each other's games, players with half an eye on the final and of course tiredness. It really is hard to tell if it was a single factor, a combination or just generally a bad day at the office. 

Are the players knackered though? Most of them had 6 weeks without a competitive game just 2 months ago, and they aren't playing anymore games than any other team. Yes we had the two legs of the league cup, but we also skipped a weekend in between when the FA Cup 4th round was on. I wonder if the players are being overcautious for fear of hurting themselves and missing the cup final? I know we don't rotate a whole lot but still.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I do agree that we lacked a bit of snap in midfield. We were weren't as combative and lost an unusual amount of 50-50s, but it's hard to tell if that was fatigue or not.

I think there's a lot of thing could have played into that, changing to an unfamiliar system midgame, a couple of players that are unfamiliar with each other's games, players with half an eye on the final and of course tiredness. It really is hard to tell if it was a single factor, a combination or just generally a bad day at the office. 

My hope would be that if sports scientists say someone needs the game off to enhance their Final performance they will get it even if it means playing the remnants of the squad or U23s.

give up the pawn, take the Queen 

I don't see it as tired, more that their run of form has ran its course. Sometimes an 11 needs fresh ideas.

It's been apparent for a few weeks we just needed an injection of sorts. Sadly, it's now been enforced through injury and suspension.

12 minutes ago, STM said:

I don't see it as tired, more that their run of form has ran its course. Sometimes an 11 needs fresh ideas.

It's been apparent for a few weeks we just needed an injection of sorts. Sadly, it's now been enforced through injury and suspension.

Well put.

It'd have been nice to make a change or two to the line up, rather than having to throw three relatively unused players into a new system, but it happens. 

Edited by The Prophet

I'd also say that it's just a run of form and we're more than capable of turning it around.

Howe started off with one win in nine. We then won six of our next seven.

Around April time we lost three in a row, including an absolute hiding at Spurs and bounced back to win four in a row.

Earlier this season we went without a win in six, but then won seven of our next eight. 

Whatever factor or combination of factors that our contributing to the recent drawfest, I have absolute faith that Howe will have us picking up wins again before long. 

2 hours ago, 54 said:

_128538623_liverpool-graphic.png

Made me giggle :lol: 

Yeah, they've scored six in their six games since then. We've scored six in our seven. Both us and them have 12xG in those games according to Understat. 

The difference is our xG against is 6, with two goals conceded. Liverpool's is 11.5, with 11 actual goals conceded. Liverpool have conceded three in each of their last three away games!

Great blueprint from Everton here...

Make sure the keeper doesn't go for a wander.

Don't let the ball run across your six yard box.

Don't allow players a free run at the eighteen yard area.

Try and hold onto the ball for more than three passes.

Edited by The Prophet

36 minutes ago, Slim said:

Would like to think we won't be conceding goals like this

You are right.  Neither Pope or Schaar make those mistakes. 

Feeling ever so slightly more confident of getting a result after watching that performance. They’re deservedly mid table.

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Liverpool had the second best Xg over the last 6 games from open play. You have to figure eventually they’ll start to go in with the quality they have in attack. 

In some ways I’m actually glad we’re playing a decent side before the cup final. We’ll have to significantly raise our game on Saturday but Liverpool still aren’t great at the back and can easily be got at in midfield. They are looking a bit sharper though and dangerous on the counter attack. The main concern is our injuries and how that effects is. You’d imagine Willock is out so Gordon will come in and maybe Howe switches to a 4 2 3 1. Crowd will be key in sat. 

This is a huge game in the context of the top 4. Lose and Liverpool are 6 points behind us with a game in hand, win and they're 12 behind with a game in a hand and we're in a strong position to finish above them going into the final stretch of games after the cup final. I'm hoping the lads don't think Liverpool are a soft touch this season and go for them like we did when Man City came here. We do that and we'll win comfortably. 

Typical that in both games against this lot we have a depleted squad.

Last game we were without Bruno again, Wilson, ASM and Botman and Schar were rested it seemed?

Full strength I think we would have beaten these twice this year but highly possible we end up losing our only two games so far against them. 

This was the team last game and we nearly won/drew that but for a narrow Isak offside and then the ridiculous added time.

Screenshot_2023-02-14-07-58-49-823_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by alexf

For me, the biggest positive about this is that Liverpool are incapable of playing a low block, so we should get chances (whether we take them or not is another matter).

Even against a really poor Everton attack, Matip was getting dragged all over the show. Even if VvD returns, it appears that Liverpool's midfield press simply isn't protecting the back four, hence why they shipped three at Brentford, Bright on and Wolves in their last three away trips.