James Brown

Happy Face

always remeber the radio 4 news announcer in 1988 describing the car chase and arrest of the Godfather of Soul - you could tell he was about to howl with laughter but he (just) kept a staright voice to the end

A true legend - hard working, fan orientated and changed the whole sound of black music

RIP, absolute legend.

Im sure he will be sorely missed, I can believe he kept working till he was 73, his shows were reputedly still as awesome as they had always been, I saw him on jonothan ross a few months ago, quality live act.

RIP :(

He was the star of Rocky 4 as far as I'm concerned, true legend.

The only downside to his career, was when the small time mackems introduced "I feel good" after goals at the SOS.

RIP

Aye, 'living in America' thats the first thing I think of when I hear the name James Brown.

RIP.

RIP, absolute legend.

Im sure he will be sorely missed, I can believe he kept working till he was 73, his shows were reputedly still as awesome as they had always been, I saw him on jonothan ross a few months ago, quality live act.

RIP :(

Agree with all of that. Wish I could have seen him live.

Guest 3-1 NYD

Saw the great man in some park in Ilford essex over 10 years ago (supported by Jocelyn Brown, natch) and even tho' he kept you waiting, once he hit the stage he delivered, and some!

Missed him at Glasto a couple of years back as I was in the Avalon tent watching the mighty six. by seven.There but the grace of god etc...

RIP Soul Brother #1

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I saw him in 2003/4, he was on fire and looked in great shape. I thought he had another 10 years in him especially after he retired this year. WHY???

I saw him live in Manchester before the Chili Peppers a few years back.  The bloke was awesome.  Blew the chili's away.  Live at the apollo was a masterpiece, but I think the 1970 Live 'Sex Machine' album is just as good. He might have spent the last 30 years touring the same songs, but those songs are so strong and his performances so fresh that it was always good value, (I know there's some Stones fans on here who might not like the comparison but) you don't feel the same way about the stones.  Brown spent his money on angel dust and fines, pissed it up the wall on pcp and guns, Jagger put his in off-shore accounts.  Brown 'the man' had soul, not just the performer, he beat his wife and fought alcoholism, but I still like the bloke in spite of those faults, the kind of soul the stones tried to capture when the copied black music from the start, but could never replicate.

It was sad to see Steve Irwin, Alan Freeman, Robert Altman, Puskas, Palance, Paul Hunter, Barrett, Billy Preston, Floyd Patterson and probably others I've missed die this year, but (as some of my rather offensive responses in their death threads might have indicated) I was suprised by some of the overreactions to the news.  Personally, none of those saddened me like soul brother number one dying, the one man out of all those who I think stands out and can truly be called a legend.

I think there's only Cliff Richard and Bob Dylan left vying for the longest survivng performer now.

:(

Guest Knightrider

Shame, I was only listening to some of his stuff the other night and can remember thinking "fuck me he's been around a while" :(

RIP to a legend.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795632...yid=13&cs=1

Spike Lee has signed on to direct a feature on the life of James Brown for Paramount and Imagine Entertainment. Brian Grazer is producing, and the pic could be in production by late next year, though 2008 is more likely.

Lee will rewrite a draft recently turned in by Jezz and John Henry Butterworth. Script has been through several drafts since Steve Baigelman wrote the original.

Brown was an active part of the development of the biopic project. The singer met with Baigelman, and gave the Butterworth brothers access to his camp. Brown's longtime sideman Bobby Byrd also was interviewed for two days by the Butterworth duo. The rights package includes Brown's life rights, and also access to all his music rights.

"Like everybody, I was surprised and saddened that James Brown died," Grazer said Tuesday. "Having known him well, and after spending lots of time with him and researching his life, it's somehow not surprising that he died on Christmas Day. He was the ultimate showman, all the way to the end."

Lee has two other projects with Grazer. He will next direct a John Ridley-scripted film on the L.A. riots for Universal and Imagine. He will either follow with the Brown film or an "Inside Man" sequel, which Russell Gewirtz is scripting.