Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

One thing I noticed watching Borussia Dortmund yesterday was that the atmosphere sounds manufactured. I mean visually it looked great and the singing was non-stop, but it just sounds like background noise and singing the same song all game for the sake of it and seemed no reaction to the game itself and what was going on. Would imagine the atmosphere is the same whether they're 5-0 up, 0-0 or 0-2 down like yesterday. 

Yesterday at 0-2 it didn't sound like encouragement, it was just the same rhythm, noise level non-stop, no reaction to the situation or what was going on, is it always like that?

Might just be me, but I prefer ours and Premier League atmospheres in general where the atmosphere generally reflects what's going on on the pitch. Encouragement if the team needs it, hostile if need be, etc. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

One thing I noticed watching Borussia Dortmund yesterday was that the atmosphere sounds manufactured. I mean visually it looked great and the singing was non-stop, but it just sounds like background noise and singing the same song all game for the sake of it and seemed no reaction to the game itself and what was going on. Would imagine the atmosphere is the same whether they're 5-0 up, 0-0 or 0-2 down like yesterday. 

Yesterday at 0-2 it didn't sound like encouragement, it was just the same rhythm, noise level non-stop, no reaction to the situation or what was going on, is it always like that?

Might just be me, but I prefer ours and Premier League atmospheres in general where the atmosphere generally reflects what's going on on the pitch. Encouragement if the team needs it, hostile if need be, etc. 

That’s just German football. Really bizarre when a team is getting absolutely pumped and their ultras are still going for it.

5 minutes ago, christ said:

That’s just German football. Really bizarre when a team is getting absolutely pumped and their ultras are still going for it.

Fair play and can see they try, it just sounds a bit naff I reckon. Again, probably just me. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Fair play and can see they try, it just sounds a bit naff I reckon. Again, probably just me. 

I’m not a massive fan of that side of things personally. But then I have spent far too long watching our fans absolutely lose their heads when we concede. It’s like a comfort blanket now.

In general I find German football really odd. It manages to be much more accessible and fan friendly than the English game, while feeling vastly more corporate.

Suppose it’s indicative of the different ways in which the game has been ran in England and Germany. Over there you’ve got a sport in which fans are much more in control and stakes feel a lot lower. Here you’ve got the richest league in the world and everything that brings, rubbing up against the remains of 70s/80s terrace culture and the institutional distrust of ‘the fan’ which keeps that spirit alive.

People talk about English clubs as having a poor atmosphere compared to European clubs a lot of the time but I think that is due to how it is manufactured in Europe by well organised ultra groups, who keep singing throughout the match. 

Personally, I much prefer the ebb and flows of the atmosphere in English stadiums. There is something to be said for nervy silences. 

I know quite a lot of people complain about the atmosphere at SJP (and have for years) and certainly under Ashley they had a point. However, compared to most other grounds across England I'd still stay we're in a different league in terms of raw atmosphere. 

33 minutes ago, maybe_next_year said:

People talk about English clubs as having a poor atmosphere compared to European clubs a lot of the time but I think that is due to how it is manufactured in Europe by well organised ultra groups, who keep singing throughout the match. 

Personally, I much prefer the ebb and flows of the atmosphere in English stadiums. There is something to be said for nervy silences. 

I know quite a lot of people complain about the atmosphere at SJP (and have for years) and certainly under Ashley they had a point. However, compared to most other grounds across England I'd still stay we're in a different league in terms of raw atmosphere. 

Aye, much better worded version of what I was trying to say. :lol:

The Borussia atmosphere sounded almost robotic. 

A lot of Ultras in Europe just don't massively care about the actual football being played on the pitch. Or certainly try to give the impression that is the case to highten their own importance.

This is particularly true in Italy. The ultra movement was historically always just a vehicle to be subversive, for social outsiders to get away with things you can't normally do in society, to cause mayhem and mischief. Inspired in part by English hooliganism but forming an entirely new subculture. So much of what they do separates themselves from the actual football. The vast tifos and displays will be fundamentally in support of the team, but also aggrandise and celebrate the ultras themselves, distract from the field of play, slapping themselves on the back. They will regularly sing songs about not giving a fuck about the football or the players. 

This is always quite alien to the way English support is. But it's not always a bad thing, tbh. Italian ultras will regularly sack off a game they think is too expensive, usually choosing instead to do something more productive. Like the Milan ultras boycotting the last game of the season because Juve are charging 80 euros and instead donating their time and money to help with the flood victims in Emilia Romagna. It shows the clubs can't rely on their support unequivocally - which IMO is no bad thing. The power dynamic between the fans, the clubs and the players remains more clearly balanced. It can also have a negative influence for sure though. We can see with our own club how powerful unity between all sides can be and sometimes the motives of ultra groups undermines this. Equally Mike Ashley wouldn't have survived as long as he did if our fans had more backbone.

German football I struggle with a bit more to understand the fan culture, and find it more manufactured, but I know less about it admittedly. However I think the power dynamic is still there to some degree where the clubs know they can't take the custom of the fans for granted.

Edited by ponsaelius

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Completely agree, I always find German football atmosphere completely boring from watching on tv anyway, when like you say there's literally no change of noise in reaction to what's happening on the pitch. Even though I wish for old school atmospheres as much as possible, even now it is still so much better in the Premier League compared to Germany and elsewhere, because its authentic reactions.

Whether its constant silence or constant drum beating/chanting to the same rhythm regardless of what's happening on the pitch, both are dead atmospheres for me.

Yep. Makes me appreciate the Premier League atmospheres more. It's not singing and non-stop noise for 90 minutes. You might get games where it's quiet for the majority, but the fans seem a lot more invested in what's going on on the pitch. Reactions to tackles, passes, refereeing decisions, chances. 

6 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Pissed up but what an away end that was. Everyone was game, and nice to see lads from all other the country come together.

Said it in another thread. The fans were immense on the telly today. Best I've heard this season. Literally non stop singing for 90 mins. Sang the Blaydon Races too! :aww:

8 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Pissed up but what an away end that was. Everyone was game, and nice to see lads from all other the country come together.

On the train home now. One of the best away ends I've been in for a very long time. The Anthony Gordon and Eddie Howe and Jason Tindall songs just went on and on, and on [emoji38]

On the flip side the Chelsea fans were pathetic. If we turned into them we wound have something to moan about!

6 hours ago, timnufc22 said:

Completely agree, I always find German football atmosphere completely boring from watching on tv anyway, when like you say there's literally no change of noise in reaction to what's happening on the pitch. Even though I wish for old school atmospheres as much as possible, even now it is still so much better in the Premier League compared to Germany and elsewhere, because its authentic reactions.

Whether its constant silence or constant drum beating/chanting to the same rhythm regardless of what's happening on the pitch, both are dead atmospheres for me.

Couldn't agree more, especially with your last paragraph. It's the reason why I can't stand the Crystal Palace ultras thing. Some fucker with a drum and all the songs being done in the same order every game does not a good atmosphere make.

11 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

On the train home now. One of the best away ends I've been in for a very long time. The Anthony Gordon and Eddie Howe and Jason Tindall songs just went on and on, and on [emoji38]

On the flip side the Chelsea fans were pathetic. If we turned into them we wound have something to moan about!

Absolutely brilliant...love how they scored mid song and no one give a shit

41 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Saw someone suggest Wor Songs. Would be great to have some original chants. Miles behind Liverpool and Man U fans here. 

Agree. Everything we sing is a rip off

That Gordon one is shite. The kids got more songs than the rest of the team combined and he's done fuck all yet. Weird old obsession with him

22 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Just seems lazy. Like Gordon ripping off Mane, the Status Quo one at least by Arsenal & Brighton. 

Joelinton song from city about Ederson

Isak from Spurs about kuluesevski

34 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We've literally got Botman/Batman. What's wrong with just 'nananananana Botman, Botman, etc' when he makes a good tackle or something. Would be easy as owt to get going. 

😂😂😂😂😂

get out