Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle United

Disco

47 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Again, that tells me that the ‘xG’ stuff is a right load of shite.  Qualitative not quantitative yet it’s used as a statistical proof of chances created.  

It's definitely not a right load of shite like. There are flaws, but it's generally very useful and tells you how a game has gone vs the actual result.

We have an xG of like 15 for 2023, but have scored 3 goals. At a very basic level that tells us that we're creating chances but not taking them, and I think if you watch our matches, that's definitely the case.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Not sure if I posted here or elsewhere but whilst those are usually never given as penalties as he got his shot away but it reminded me of the penalty Nketiah got against Ederson, he got his shot away but was caught after

The commentators were adamant it was a penalty, whilst technically it was the counter argument is that those are never given and we've seen that today and a few other games too 

That's the one I was thinking of but couldnt remember.:thup:

I know context is required. As similar to the cup final. They probably sat off a bit with a lead. But it’s so refreshing to play top teams and not have about 200-300 less passes and 30-40% less possession. 

From Sky Sports:

56%-44%

539-410

I think that is the most positive thing, for me from yesterday and the season in general. Under Howe, we almost always seem to be in games. Even against teams that are currently better than us. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

17 hours ago, reefatoon said:

If you put as much passion into following the club as you do towards your relative on the coaching staff you would understand what it’s like.  [emoji38] :thup:

I’ve put plenty of effort into supporting the club, thanks.

11 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I know context is required. As similar to the cup final. They probably sat off a bit with a lead. But it’s so refreshing to play top teams and not have about 200-300 less passes and 30-40% less possession. 

From Sky Sports:

56%-44%

539-410

I think that is the most positive thing, for me from yesterday and the season in general. Under Howe, we almost always seem to be in games. Even against teams that are currently better than us. 

was listening to that chris wilder who was keen to play down our domination in possession and claimed man utd just let newcastle have the ball because they had the 2 goal cushion, whilst there is probably some truth in that he neglected to add that man utd's goals were against the run of play. not the first time he's been eager to steal credit from us

54 minutes ago, Klaus said:

'the usual morgue-like atmosphere hardly inspiring Pep & Co.'

Shots fired from .com  :lol:

must of the cunts sitting in the colin bell stand probably don't know who he is. 

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's definitely not a right load of shite like. There are flaws, but it's generally very useful and tells you how a game has gone vs the actual result.

We have an xG of like 15 for 2023, but have scored 3 goals. At a very basic level that tells us that we're creating chances but not taking them, and I think if you watch our matches, that's definitely the case.

Don’t think I’ll ever understand why people think it’s rubbish. It’s basically the underlying data behind “we are playing really well but aren’t scoring” which fans say all the time lol. Conversely, we are playing really badly but somehow scoring from the little that we create. It’s the best metric we have imo 

2 hours ago, Klaus said:

'the usual morgue-like atmosphere hardly inspiring Pep & Co.'

Shots fired from .com  :lol:

The number of home fans there yesterday with half and half scarves on was embrassing. It looked like a huge number of their support were day trippers.

10 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

You don’t need xG to tell anyone that.  Someone sat noting ‘that’s a chance … that’s a half chance … I reckon you score that one one in ten times …’ is obviously qualitative.  

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You don’t need xG to tell anyone that.  Someone sat noting ‘that’s a chance … that’s a half chance … I reckon you score that one one in ten times …’ is obviously qualitative.  

Of course you do, it's why data science is as popular as it successful. If you want to track trends and make the right changes, xG is obviously very useful.