Newcastle United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 12/03/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Anything but a Win and we are a team in crisis. 

Not really, that's just hyperbolic nonsense, we'd be a club in poor form, which most clubs will go through at some point within a season, not a club in crisis. We'd still be a club on an upward trajectory overall, the only reason we'd be "in crisis" is if fans build that up in their own head for no real reason.

Be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like, can see people losing their heads and taking it out on the players if we aren’t playing well and don’t look like winning, which would be totally wrong.

Edited by Geogaddi

16 hours ago, 54 said:

Not really, that's just hyperbolic nonsense, we'd be a club in poor form, which most clubs will go through at some point within a season, not a club in crisis. We'd still be a club on an upward trajectory overall, the only reason we'd be "in crisis" is if fans build that up in their own head for no real reason.

I think the distinction is team in crisis versus club in crisis. Club definitely isn't. And totally agree with you about fans building things up both in their head and the wider world.

But we are reaching a very serious point in our season and we should be aware of that and taking action. Over the past 5 games, we have the worst form in the league after Crystal Palace. Another 3 games like this and we could be looking over our shoulder at 11th placed Aston Villa (7 points behind us and who's form, I've recently read, has them placed 4th since Emery joined them).

1 hour ago, LV said:

Crisis :lol:

In reply to the post above.

If we don't win, the narrative will be that the team is in freefall and in crisis. 1 win in 9.

The media haven't really latched on to the bad form and for good reason. Win this - the narrative is "perhaps distratced by the final and some difficult fixtures but they are back on track". BUt don't win and there's a story about a crisis brewing.

18 hours ago, 54 said:

Personally would like to see this team:

lineup.png

Think Tripper needs a break , maybe lob him on subs bench, maybe Manquilo or a n other to start and if not happening then bring on Tripps

Wouldn't drop Tripps. They'll likely sit deep on us so having quality on the ball from defensive areas could be important.

After City, Howe talked about having options to rotate tactically now but I'd be surprised if he started Maxi. I feel like it's one of those games he's that not suited to starting - capable of the unpredictable, yes, but prone to losing the ball against teams that sit back, double on him, and hit the break. I think it'll be 4-3-3 to start with a front 3 between Wilson/Isak/Gordon/Almiron.

For a team that struggled badly pre-World Cup, Wolves have been in decent nick since. A record of W5-D2-L4 includes seeing off Liverpool and Spurs on their own turf, with a defeat to Bournemouth being the only massive blemish. Their record away to top half teams isn't particularly impressive, where they usually cede possession, fall into a lowish block and look to counter. 

They're tactically flexible and have tried 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 in recent weeks. They have some excellent technicians in the middle but much like us at the moment they struggle for goals, with most of their threat coming from out wide. 

I fully expect this to play out like the Leeds and Fulham home games, we'll have lots of the ball and it'll be up to us to break down a stubborn, well organised defence. Wolves will look to break with pace down the channels and cause a nuisance from set pieces, with Dawson offering his usual threat. 

JFC 'crisis' man. Can people get a grip. 

1. This is a squad still vastly over-performing. Sure our first choice starting 11 is the strongest it's been for a few years, but there is no depth. Like, at all. If you'd have offered any of us 8th upwards at the start of the season we'd have snapped your hand off. 

2. We aren't actually playing all that badly. We have lost 3 in a row against 3 teams that are likely going to be in the top 4 (or at the very least) above us this season. Would this have happened to pre-world cup Newcastle? Probably not, but we were performing so far past our levels for that run that it was always going to be unsustainable. Yes, there is an issue with scoring goals. Almiron was always going to level off, he wasn't really scoring tap-in's in that mental run, a lot of them were low probability punts that flew in. We obviously need to improve on our clear cut chance creation. And (even more obviously) we have to become more clinical. 

Anyway. I feel like ASM, Isak, and Willock all made a strong case for starting v Wolves. Not sure Howe will want to make 3 changes in one go to the starting 11, so if I had to predict 2 it would be Willock in as J7 is suspended anyway, and Isak in for Wilson. Personally I'd like to see ASM in for Miggy and have he and Gordon keep switching flanks. As much as Howe likes his inverted inside forwards in the wide areas, we looked dangerous against City with balls going into the box from near the dead ball line. 

Agree on Howe not making too many changes. Looking at it the last starting XI, players out of form, suspensions, players returning etc. I’d make as many as 5 changes.  

Don’t forget Schar will probably be back in for Lascelles and all. Plus the most important change for me would be Targett coming in for Burn. Either from the off, or to get minutes later on. Depending on how the game is going. 

Wolves are playing well at the moment and look quite solid.

I think longstaff, bruno and willock in the middle. Possibly give big dan a breather and have target at left back.

Isak has to come in as striker with miggy and Gordon or ASM.

we are due a win and we could well give these a pasting, hope so!!!

I'm as pessimistic as anyone, but we're a million miles away from a crisis right now.

Some people either have incredibly short memories or need to revisit their pre-season expectations. Or both.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

Crisis is a term overused, but we are in a massive slump and need a shake up. It makes no logical sense to start Wilson at the weekend. Give Maxi a chance too we need more outlets than just Trippier.

I think, as much as EH tried to talk it down, it is clear that the cup final has been a distraction.  Having a game away to ManCity straight away after it was always going to be tough.  I think the whole team just needs to re-set and get back to focussing on each game - hopefully dropping out of the top four will act as a bit of a reduction of pressure and we can build a bit of momentum over the next couple of games.

Crisis is a bit OTT, but if we don't win in our next 3 matches, how will people feel? That would mean one win between late December and April, and heading into a run of three away matches.

Just now, 80 said:

Crisis is a bit OTT, but if we don't win in our next 3 matches, how will people feel? That would mean one win between late December and April, and heading into a run of three away matches.

I think I can answer for everyone - bad :lol:

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think I can answer for everyone - bad :lol:

And one of the most frustrating things about that will be many people suddenly converting into the misery and despair camp. That's why I'd rather we were awake to it now, to avoid the worst excesses of the 'sack everyone' mindset.