Newcastle United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 12/03/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Our press on the opposition back five has disappeared and the biggest factor in our change of form IMO. Obviously not taking any half chances or the rare good chance hasn’t helped either.

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I think the recent Athletic article also suggested that our attacking play is incredibly predictable now. It almost all goes down the right where we have an incredibly predictable Almiron and Trippier whom almost everything we do goes through; our main tactic this season has been tailored for allowing him to bomb on on top of the fact that he takes every attacking set piece we have. Targett and ASM on the left would change that, otherwise teams just need to surround Bruno and overload our right to stifle our attack; we have nothing on the LW as Burn doesn't offer much going forward and the left sided attacker, be that ASM or Gordon, is often on his own as a result.

It was a good article that, but one thing that the passing matrix overlooks is the makeup of our left side. As you say, there frequently isn't the option to pass to Burn. Then Joelinton and ASM are often the left winger, who are more likely to run at the defender, as opposed to Almiron who will check back and try the give and go. 

We undoubtedly need a left back in the summer to add a bit of balance. 

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Our press on the opposition back five has disappeared and the biggest factor in our change of form IMO. Obviously not taking any half chances or the rare good chance hasn’t helped either.

Teams sitting deep and allowing us the lion's share of the ball regularly has affected that. It began with Leeds in the second half, thought first half they actually come out pressing us but they dropped deeper and deeper as the game went on yet we still could've had at least 2 goals in that half had we brought our shooting boots. Fulham, Palace, Bournemouth and West Ham to a degree (only a certain degree as they were probably the better side in the first half) have all done the same as Leeds in that second half since. Man Utd did in the final also albeit having played the Thursday before and found themselves with a 2 goal lead.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

It's difficult to press a risk adverse opponent who deploys a solid low block though. 

The press should be a tool in our armoury, but we're too over reliant on it. Opponents are happy to counter it by sitting deep and turning the ball over to us. As soon as we have the quality to break teams down on a more regular basis, it'll come back into play.

Liverpool are the best example I can think of. One of the best pressing teams in world football, but they also have the quality to punish you if you end up sitting in your eighteen yard box.  

21 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I agree but 2nd half against City was probably the 1st time, in a very long time, we pressed the opposition back five and caused a few errors by City.

40 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It was a good article that, but one thing that the passing matrix overlooks is the makeup of our left side. As you say, there frequently isn't the option to pass to Burn. Then Joelinton and ASM are often the left winger, who are more likely to run at the defender, as opposed to Almiron who will check back and try the give and go. 

We undoubtedly need a left back in the summer to add a bit of balance. 

We have a good natural LB sat on the bench.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Targett? You'd imagine he'll come in when he's match sharp. 

Hmmm match sharp you need matches. At some point Id rather see him start and then be subbed out at 60+ minutes rather than the other way around

20 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Hmmm match sharp you need matches. At some point Id rather see him start and then be subbed out at 60+ minutes rather than the other way around

My bad, I meant fitness. It depends if he's currently capable of 60 minutes.

I would like to see this team against wolves, resting a couple of players who have looked a bit jaded…

—————pope————-

trip——schar—-botman——targett

Longsta—-bruno—gordon

—-miggy——-isak——-ASM

One of those games tomorrow where all that matters is the result, the performance can go hang as long as we get the three points on the board.

To quote a certain N Warnock "it might be a nob end in the 90th minute" but we just need to win.

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

One of those games tomorrow where all that matters is the result, the performance can go hang as long as we get the three points on the board.

To quote a certain N Warnock "it might be a nob end in the 90th minute" but we just need to win.

I get your point, but I do think that'll just be delaying the inevitable a little bit in terms of our season. I'm not asking to trash them but we could do with putting the ball in the net at least twice to prove first wasn't a fluke.

19 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

He's going to start Wilson again isn't he?

I don't think so, I'm inclined to think what he said in the presser was to throw them off the scent, the way it was worded and the way it was printed were at odds.

Feels like CL hopes hinge on getting back to winning ways tomorrow, actually think if we do win we’ve got a bloody good chance.

Still got Spurs and Mancs to play at home with games in hand, all to play for and think we’ll nick this. 

2 hours ago, 80 said:

I get your point, but I do think that'll just be delaying the inevitable a little bit in terms of our season. I'm not asking to trash them but we could do with putting the ball in the net at least twice to prove first wasn't a fluke.

Nah, I'm inclined to think that getting a league win even if it involves "winning ugly" then provides the platform and the confidence to then start playing well and getting back to the pre-WC form we saw.

I hate myself for even saying this but I remember a game in the 5th placed Pardew season which was similar - Norwich at home and we played some mad formation with Gutierrez at fullback and Cabaye wide left, it was ugly and minging and shit but we shuffled a 1-0 win out of it and then went on that class run of form where Cisse was banging them in and we were winning games for fun. Kinda has that feel about it except without a dickhead in the dugout and a row of cunts in the directors seats.