Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 02/04/23 @ 4.30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, sushimonster85 said:

Think that might just be because you're on the look out for it more than any other side. Don't get me wrong, I don't like Man U, and maybe 15 years ago you'd have more of a point. But I have way more hate in my heart for say an Everton or a Villa than your lot. Same's true for most of my IRL pals. Only one still utterly despises Man U, and even that is mainly down to all his in-laws supporting them

Quite possibly but I've only really seen it for us, Liverpool, Villa and Sunderland on here. Everton to an extent. 

Obviously since it's football there's contempt for almost every team at some point. But if we did a poll and everyone was asked who they'd want to beat on the final day to secure CL qualification I'd be surprised if we weren't at or very near the top along with Liverpool and Villa.

6 minutes ago, Froggy said:

It says nothing about me. I'm on this forum every day. There's nowhere near as much hatred for any other team in the Premier League. 

Yup, Man Utd and Liverpool for many reasons, but now you're just a team in 3rd who we can overtake. You can't bully us no more, you're not a scalp, you're opposition, no more, no less. 

Anymore than that is down to your fans behaviour.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Yup, Man Utd and Liverpool for many reasons, but now you're just a team in 3rd who we can overtake. You can't bully us no more, you're not a scalp, you're opposition, no more, no less. 

Anymore than that is down to your fans behaviour.

So by that logic it would be Arsenal and City you'd rather beat in this situation? 

It would be Liverpool for us. Even though we're better than them this season. Their fans would know it too. It's a scalp for us to beat City these days, but it would always be more satisfying to beat Liverpool. 

Just now, Froggy said:

So by that logic it would be Arsenal and City you'd rather beat in this situation? 

It would be Liverpool for us. Even though we're better than them this season. Their fans would know it too. It's a scalp for us to beat City these days, but it would always be more satisfying to beat Liverpool. 

Nope. I think they are out of reach. If you were in Arsenal's position and they were in yours then yeah.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Surely the NUFC-MUFC enmity/rivalry from the 90s and early 00s is something we all want back? I certainly do.

The rivalry was there because they were the top team and we were challenging them. Not because they were Man Utd.

26 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I just want us to finish above the team in fifth.

Me too. And that neither Chelsea win the CL or Man Utd win the EL, so that 4th place still gets a CL spot. 🤞Being in the CL would be a MASSIVE springboard for this club, and it’d be fucking appalling if we came 4th and missed out.

madras is definitely right there like, it's not a scalp. It's enjoyable because no one who grew up in the '90s likes Man United and their fans, but our 3-3 home draw with Man City felt like a scalp even though we'd been 3-1 up, our 0-0 draw at Old Trafford was a good result, but nothing more. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 minutes ago, madras said:

The rivalry was there because they were the top team and we were challenging them. Not because they were Man Utd.

Thank you for wording it better than I. :lol: Aye, that. Want it back, me.

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Surely the NUFC-MUFC enmity/rivalry from the 90s and early 00s is something we all want back? I certainly do.

A rivalry for me doesn't disappear because a teams ability goes up and down. Pretty sad to see that's how it is for some people, especially when some of the most iconic moments in Premier League history were a result of our rivalry. 

There was a period in the early 00's where it felt like it was a guaranteed 3 points against Newcastle, but it was always a game that we looked forward to and it had a different feel to it than a lot of league games. 

I'd happily beat Man United over everyone in the league to be honest. Because they're one of the biggest clubs on the planet and they're fans are arrogant bell ends.

I'd even rather beat them at Wembley than the Mackems.

But maybe that's just me :lol:

Edited by Heron

I don’t really think of a rivalry existing at all TBH. When we’re near the top together, we compete, but that hasn’t been the case for many years. Hope it’s coming back, but it’s to do with league position rather than any relationship between the clubs. 

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

I'd happily beat Man United over everyone in the league to be honest. Because they're one of the biggest clubs on the planet and they're fans are arrogant bell ends.

I'd even rather beat them at Wembley than the Mackems.

But maybe that's just me :lol:

It's definitely not just you. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

A rivalry for me doesn't disappear because a teams ability goes up and down.

The rivalry literally only existed because our ability went up in the 90's. We're not local rivals. We're two teams who competed against each other for about a 3 season spell in the 90's for the PL, some older members of the fanbase still hold a bit of a grudge, but its not really a shock that it's diminished over time.

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

It's definitely not just you. :lol:

Beating Man United for a late 80s / 90s kid is an achievement whether we like to admit it or not.

Winning a game against the mackems is local bragging rights and one I'd generally expect from my lifetime.

I always think I hate Man United because of their success and ultimately, I guess I do. That's the root cause. However, after the cup final I just realise that they have shit tons of wankers in their ranks. I actually think Man City do too. This whole 'Oasis' kinda attitude.

One of my good mates supports Man United, and safe to say he isn't like that, but I am generalising, as we all do...

Edited by Heron

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Beating Man United for a late 80s / 90s kid is an achievement whether we like to admit it or not.

Winning a game against the mackems is local bragging rights and one I'd generally expect from my lifetime.

I always think I hate Man United because of their success and ultimately, I guess I do. That's the root cause. However, after the cup final I just realise that they have shit tons of wankers in their ranks. I actually think Man City do too. This whole 'Oasis' kinda attitude.

One of my good mates supports Man United, and safe to say he isn't like that, but I am generalising, as we all do...

Is that an age thing. I've got mates who still hate Leeds because of the 70s.

11 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

The rivalry literally only existed because our ability went up in the 90's. We're not local rivals. We're two teams who competed against each other for about a 3 season spell in the 90's for the PL, some older members of the fanbase still hold a bit of a grudge, but its not really a shock that it's diminished over time.

I'm not denying that's how the rivalry came about, I'm just saying it doesn't disappear because the teams no longer compete. 

When you were in the championship I'd have still wanted to beat you more than the likes of Southampton or Hull who were in the Premier League at the time. 

I don't go along at all with the idea that the hatred stems from them winning things mind. In fact that mindset, usually from their fans, is a big part of why I can't stand their stereotypical fans. 

If I hated teams that won I would have hated Arsenal in the late '90s and early '00s, but I thought they were absolutely class and I loved Wenger. Likewise I loved Barca from 08-14, but have never liked Real Madrid regardless of whether they're winning or losing. I've never liked Man United, Chelsea, Spurs likewise. 

Why? Because the running theme with all of those clubs is that their stereotypical fans - including all of the pundits who cover them - are unbearably arrogant. The insistence that no one likes them because they're big and successful just feeds into that even more

Edited by Kid Icarus

21 minutes ago, madras said:

Is that an age thing. I've got mates who still hate Leeds because of the 70s.

Probably. I know lads of an age who hate Liverpool too. I think the music scene has added to the Mancs attitude though, genuinely think there's a whole 'Nobody likes us we don't care' kinda attitude as a result of Oasis et al. Probably just perception like.

Edited by Heron

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't go along at all with the idea that the hatred stems from them winning things mind. In fact that mindset, usually from their fans, is a big part of why I can't stand their stereotypical fans. 

If I hated teams that won I would have hated Arsenal in the late '90s and early '00s, but I thought they were absolutely class and I loved Wenger. Likewise I loved Barca from 08-14, but have never liked Real Madrid regardless of whether they're winning or losing. I've never liked Man United, Chelsea, Spurs likewise. 

Why? Because the running theme with all of those clubs is that their stereotypical fans - including all of the pundits who cover them - are unbearably arrogant. The insistence that no one likes them because they're big and successful just feeds into that even more

I actually share your views on all them teams like tbf :lol: :thup:

2 hours ago, Froggy said:

Quite possibly but I've only really seen it for us, Liverpool, Villa and Sunderland on here. Everton to an extent. 

Obviously since it's football there's contempt for almost every team at some point. But if we did a poll and everyone was asked who they'd want to beat on the final day to secure CL qualification I'd be surprised if we weren't at or very near the top along with Liverpool and Villa.

I think you are right in yourselves and liverpool to pip you for top four.

But Villa in a relegation battle would be much more fulfilling for us due to past shenanigans from them….