Oba's been on the Sherry

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Magpies striker Obafemi Martins has been speaking about the difficulties of settling in at SJP and the good times that he believes lie ahead for him and the club:

"It has taken time but I can tell you that I am getting to understand it better and I'm now somehow at home here. I spent several years in Italy and the football there is different from what obtains here, so naturally, one would have to learn a different style and way of playing.

"I begrudge no one for the many things said about me in previous months. But people should understand that any player coming to a new territory, will need some settling down to do. It is a whole new environment, new style, new culture and new orientation.

"I thank God that I am doing better than when I just arrived. It means that the coming year will be good. Newcastle is a club with ambition and we have every reason to do well next year. We lost out of the Carling Cup in the quarter finals but we are gradually inching up the table in the Premiership and will continue to move up. The next few matches will be key.

"We are also in the Round of 32 in the Uefa Cup and there's still the FA Cup.

"I commend the coach. He is a good leader and he gives us confidence. For him, I will always go out there and do my best.

"My target is to help Newcastle achieve the ambition of winning at least one trophy this season and we are not far from that. We have a real chance in the Uefa Cup if we keep playing the way we have been doing recently, and if we have the luck of having some of our top players return from injury.

"When Duff returns, we'll be unstoppable.

:lol:

Did he get that much stick when he first came? I know a few were not to impressed by him, but I did not think it was so wide spread.

Just watch me go now, says Oba

Dec 28 2006

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Oba Martins today said he agrees with the people who criticised him when he first arrived at Newcastle.

The Toon No 9 has chalked up nine goals since arriving from Inter Milan for £10m, after enduring a sluggish start to his career on Tyneside.

However, Martins revealed he is loving life at Newcastle and has predicted a bright 2007 for himself and team-mates.

He said in an interview with allafrica.com: "I begrudge no one for the many things said about me in previous months.

"But people should understand that any player coming to a new territory will need some time to settle down.

"It is a whole new environment, new style, new culture and new orientation.

"I thank God that I am doing better than when I just arrived. It means that the coming year will be good.

"Newcastle is a club with ambition and we have every reason to do well next year.

"We lost out of the Carling Cup in the quarter-finals, but we are gradually inching up the table in the Premiership and will continue to move up. The next few matches will be the key.

"We are also in the round of 32 in the UEFA Cup and there's still the FA Cup."

Nigerian international Martins also had high praise for boss Glenn Roeder.

He added: "I commend the coach. He is a good leader and he gives us confidence.

"For him, I will always go out there and do my best."

Did he get that much stick when he first came? I know a few were not to impressed by him, but I did not think it was so wide spread.

Just watch me go now, says Oba

Dec 28 2006

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Oba Martins today said he agrees with the people who criticised him when he first arrived at Newcastle.

The Toon No 9 has chalked up nine goals since arriving from Inter Milan for £10m, after enduring a sluggish start to his career on Tyneside.

However, Martins revealed he is loving life at Newcastle and has predicted a bright 2007 for himself and team-mates.

He said in an interview with allafrica.com: "I begrudge no one for the many things said about me in previous months.

"But people should understand that any player coming to a new territory will need some time to settle down.

"It is a whole new environment, new style, new culture and new orientation.

"I thank God that I am doing better than when I just arrived. It means that the coming year will be good.

"Newcastle is a club with ambition and we have every reason to do well next year.

"We lost out of the Carling Cup in the quarter-finals, but we are gradually inching up the table in the Premiership and will continue to move up. The next few matches will be the key.

"We are also in the round of 32 in the UEFA Cup and there's still the FA Cup."

Nigerian international Martins also had high praise for boss Glenn Roeder.

He added: "I commend the coach. He is a good leader and he gives us confidence.

"For him, I will always go out there and do my best."

It was more the media jumping on him than the fans tbh.

Of course there were sceptical fans out there, but most of that stayed on the internet, out of the stands certainly, and very rarely in the papers.

It was the media ready to pounce and ruin a players career as he dared join NUFC for big money, this time the young lad was too strong for the vultures, and now they have to write nice things, gutted for them tbh.