Brentford vs. Newcastle United: 08/04/23 @ 15:00 (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

I'd have taken 5 points from the 3 away games, so a win here would essentially make Villa a free-hit in my eyes. Thankfully Howe & the players won't think like that.

Really need to try and change my mentality. I've spent all season thinking 'ahh top 4 probably won't happen this soon' but now we're at Easter with a huge chance.

Somebody please help.

9 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I'd have taken 5 points from the 3 away games, so a win here would essentially make Villa a free-hit in my eyes. Thankfully Howe & the players won't think like that.

Really need to try and change my mentality. I've spent all season thinking 'ahh top 4 probably won't happen this soon' but now we're at Easter with a huge chance.

Somebody please help.

Same.

56 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Somebody please help.

You’ve (we’ve) already got 11 strong game-changers helping with that inherent Geordie pessimism 😉

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

13 hours ago, The Prophet said:

They've lost once at home all season we've lost twice away all season, it does whiff of draw.

For some reason I absolutely hate "form" logic when applied on a seasonal basis like this. Recent form (3-4 last matches), sure, it can be somewhat of a pointer how things might turn out if one team is on fire in a good way and the opponent on fire in a bad way. However, when the ball is kicked after the first whistle, like fuck does it matter if the opponent has lost once at home before this match or not. 

If teams are evenly matched I'm sure it could have a minor effect mentally for the opponent to know the home side rarely loses. Even then, that comes down to the professionalism of the players if they let something like that affect them mentally. If the teams aren't evenly matched, I'm fairly certain the better side go into the match thinking they'll win regardless of whether or not the opponent has lost once at home this season or not. 

The home side could naturally gain more confidence from rarely losing at home, but against a better side they'll, most times, lose even if their stadium is a "fortress".

I acknowledge ths is a dumb hill to choose dying on, but here we are :lol: 

15 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

For some reason I absolutely hate "form" logic when applied on a seasonal basis like this. Recent form (3-4 last matches), sure, it can be somewhat of a pointer how things might turn out if one team is on fire in a good way and the opponent on fire in a bad way. However, when the ball is kicked after the first whistle, like fuck does it matter if the opponent has lost once at home before this match or not. 

If teams are evenly matched I'm sure it could have a minor effect mentally for the opponent to know the home side rarely loses. Even then, that comes down to the professionalism of the players if they let something like that affect them mentally. If the teams aren't evenly matched, I'm fairly certain the better side go into the match thinking they'll win regardless of whether or not the opponent has lost once at home this season or not. 

The home side could naturally gain more confidence from rarely losing at home, but against a better side they'll, most times, lose even if their stadium is a "fortress".

I acknowledge ths is a dumb hill to choose dying on, but here we are :lol: 

I kind of get what you mean, but it does stand up. To date, Brentford have done very well against better opponents at home (W4-1-1 against top half opposition). There are other factors of course such as recent form, xG, etc.

That doesn't mean that we can't go there and win of course, but given its a 13-14 game sample, it suggests that Brentford are very stubborn on home soil. 

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I kind of get what you mean, but it does stand up. To date, Brentford have done very well against better opponents at home (W4-1-1 against top half opposition). There are other factors of course such as recent form, xG, etc.

That doesn't mean that we can't go there and win of course, but given its a 13-14 game sample, it suggests that Brentford are very stubborn on home soil. 

I'm not sure we really disagree, because I mean, over the course of a season the results you get are the results you get :lol: But it could be flipped around as well, we are the team with the third best point haul away from home this season, Brentford arethe 7th best home side going by points haul. If we are to believe the saying that away games are tougher, that fact should in theory mean that we, as a stronger side away going by results so far this season than they are as a home side, would mean we should win if applying your core concept? :dontknow: 

Just think there's a lot more relevant ways of looking at if a match will be "hard" or not than the results any given side, previously, have had either at home or away.