Aston Villa vs. Newcastle United: 15/04/23 @ 12:30 (BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

14 hours ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

It just goes to show how good our recruitment are.  The two we wanted both excelling.  After Smith and Gerrard Villa's recruitment team probably just thought we must know what they're doing lets go for someone who turned them down.

After Smith?

He took Steve Bruce's absolutely rotten team from the arse end of the Championship, won ten games in a row, got us promoted, kept us in the Premier League in the first season and then had us mid table.

We were right to bin him when we did, but lumping that in with Gerrard in terms of appointment is absolutely nuts.

5 hours ago, TRon said:

Emery is obviously a good manager, but I will always find it hard to rate him in the highest bracket after he did a U-turn on coming here. That along with how he lost respect among the Arsenal dressing room where they laughed at him behind his back makes you wonder if he has a ceiling as a manager at this level. As a result hard to believe we will lose this, just can't see him getting the better of Howe.

tbf its one of the few things the new owners have screwed up.

the leak to the press on the eve of an important european game for them was bad form.

7 hours ago, huss9 said:

the leak to the press on the eve of an important european game for them was bad form.

It's hard to say exactly what happened with Emery. Leaks are fairly commonplace when things reach an advanced stage, and aren't necessarily deliberate. It must be very difficult to keep things private for very long.

My feeling is the guy just changed his mind. We were firmly in the relegation zone, and looked unlikely to survive, no matter who might be in charge and with only one transfer window to address the problems. Ultimately, he just didn't fancy it.

When he joined Villa, they were a much better prospect. Gerrard had made some mistakes after a decent start, and there was clear potential to turn things round.

8 hours ago, brummie said:

After Smith?

He took Steve Bruce's absolutely rotten team from the arse end of the Championship, won ten games in a row, got us promoted, kept us in the Premier League in the first season and then had us mid table.

We were right to bin him when we did, but lumping that in with Gerrard in terms of appointment is absolutely nuts.

I was a bit lazy in throwing smith in there in what was meant to be a tongue in cheek post about villas choice of manager.  I do not serious think they just based their choice on us going for him. 

I think of him in terms of poor villa recruitment choices as I think getting rid of him was too quick. I think binning him for Gerard’ was an incredibly poor choice by your powers that be. 

Once again going through my weekly ritual of coming in the match thread to say this is really tricky fixture. Probably the form side in the league right now. Think it's going to be very tight, can see a 1-1 if I am honest, and wouldn't be disappointed with that. 7 points from West Ham, Brentford & Villa would be a great return, and would set us up brilliantly for the final run-in. 

One odd quirk with Villa mind, yes they're in great form, but they haven't played anyone really tricky for a while. Chelsea away has a massive * this season, and outside of that they haven't really played anyone of note since mid-Feb when they lost to Arsenal at Villa Park. 

8 hours ago, huss9 said:

To be honest, the whole managerial search, whilst ending with a cracking appointment, was a mess with regards to how much it played out in public due to leaks everywhere. Had what was basically a blow-by-blow account of what was going on. Remember the heady days of it definitely being Fonseca, when it turned out that was just the last guy they spoke to and his people leaked it. Even when the morning when the initially Emery news broke and it looked like he was coming The Athletic had Howe as being second choice should Emery knock us back. How often do you hear not only the person who has been chosen, but the guy who's come second. 

Whenever I have a quick look at other teams forum before they plays us, it's all: " they are shit" "time-wasting" "lucky".  😆 

3 defeats all season and 1 of those was super harsh. Other 2 fair. We are a strong team.

Villa at home (post-Emery)                        Newcastle away

P9 W5-D1-L3                                              P15 W7-D6-L2

Villa last five                                                Newcastle last five

West Ham 1-1 Villa                                      Newcastle 2-1 Wolves

Villa 3-0 Bournemouth                                Forest 1-2 Newcastle

Chelsea 0-2 Villa                                         Newcastle 2-0 Man United

Leicester 1-2 Villa                                       West Ham 1-5 Newcastle

Villa 2-0 Forest                                            Brentford 1-2 Newcastle

Villa v top half at home (post-Emery)        Newcastle v top half away

P3 W1-D0-L2                                                P8 W3-D3-L2

41 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Whenever I have a quick look at other teams forum before they plays us, it's all: " they are shit" "time-wasting" "lucky".  😆 

3 defeats all season and 1 of those was super harsh. Other 2 fair. We are a strong team.

It’s amazing how much people are willing to just straight up lie to everyone and themselves in order to cope with something they don’t like [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

In fairness to Villa fans, we did absolutely kick the shit out of them at SJP last season [emoji38]

Joelinton should have been off.

Didn't even see that stuff. To be fair both sets fans have a tedious online presence, but I expect a bit more nuance in forums. 

I've watched a fair bit of Villa recently, the turn around really is impressive. They're a classic Emery team in that they'll set up in a 4-4-2 and look to progress the ball into the wide playmakers, Buendia also tends to drop in and Watkins will attack the space that he creates. 

Injury news will be interesting. The two centre mids are really important to the way that they play so losing Kamara would be a blow for them. 

While they are now well coached and much improved from the Gerrard days, they don't look the most press proof of sides. Villa like to build from the back in triangles between the centre back, full back and nearby centre mid. I think we'll be looking to force errors in these sequence of plays. At the other end we'll need to ensure that we stay disciplined and don't allow the full backs to be dragged around too much. 

Really interesting contest between two form sides. It'll be a tough game, but all things considered I'm confident that we won't get beat. With a full week of prep I don't think a win in is out of the questions, but after back to back wins at West Ham and Brentford, I'd be content with a point.

3 hours ago, Cronky said:

It's hard to say exactly what happened with Emery. Leaks are fairly commonplace when things reach an advanced stage, and aren't necessarily deliberate. It must be very difficult to keep things private for very long.

My feeling is the guy just changed his mind. We were firmly in the relegation zone, and looked unlikely to survive, no matter who might be in charge and with only one transfer window to address the problems. Ultimately, he just didn't fancy it.

When he joined Villa, they were a much better prospect. Gerrard had made some mistakes after a decent start, and there was clear potential to turn things round.

Also his team at the time Villareal were in the QF of a European cup competition, I think he was probably conflicted about leaving them for a club struggling in a relegation scrap. But ultimately he wanted to be back in the Premier so he said yes to us before bottling it, then came over at the next opportunity.

Had a quick peak on their forum, and it seems to be Joelinton they're most scared of trying to cope with.

I would be too if you're up against him, he's a machine - so they're not all daft.

Enjoyed this:

"Newcastle seem to struggle away against the big sides. I cant see nothing but a Villa win here. 

Recently Lost to Man City, Liverpool recently all away. Lost the Cup Final away (Wembley) to Manchester United. 
Now up against an Aston Villa team in top form. "