Newcastle United vs. Tottenham Hotspur: 23/04/23 @ 14:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

2 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Almirón is far too easy to defend against especially against a team that sits off like Spurs probably will do though I may bring him back in for Gordon. I'd stick with Murphy on the other side assuming ASM is out though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgXhp0ys4KA&ab_channel=NewcastleUnited

0:39 - Spurs very familiar with that Almiron predictability

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

1 moment in his purple patch 5 months ago. It's no coincidence that we went on a run of 5 wins and started scoring more goals as soon as he was out of the team.

It most definitely is a coincidence :lol: The first of those 5 games you mention he came on as a sub and won us the game ffs :lol:

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It most definitely is a coincidence :lol: The first of those 5 games you mention he came on as a sub and won us the game ffs :lol:

If you don't think he's a predictable attacker then fairs. FWIW, I'd probably bring him back in next week assuming ASM isn't fit which he probably won't be, given Gordon's performance today.

You would assume and certainly hope the players are bang up for this after today and St James will be proper radged up. Spurs are brittle man, get at them and they’ll fold. They are always liable to grab a goal with Kane and Son though so we need to stop pissing about early on and fully go for them. Need a Man U performance. 

On 15/04/2023 at 15:50, Disco said:

Not looking forward to this in the slightest. Cannot be doing with all these games that have lots riding on them.

(I know what you mean, but) this is what it's all about, man. There's nothing like an unexpected and crushing blow to really stir up the nerves and anticipation.

But yeah, it's a big game but I don't think it's massive. It isn't 'season defining' because there's far too many fixtures still remaining and it's not like the race for 4th is as simple as 'us or Spurs.' Brighton (h) could easily end up being more of a CL decider than this one.

Maybe this philosophy could apply to any match but I'd argue that it's a 'bigger' game if we were to win than if we were to lose. To be six points clear of them with a game in hand gives us a very significant edge and reinforces our position as favourites among those chasing; whereas a defeat just leaves things in the balance and, in truth, would just be a case of an opportunity missed moreso than anything else. 

46 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

(I know what you mean, but) this is what it's all about, man. There's nothing like an unexpected and crushing blow to really stir up the nerves and anticipation.

But yeah, it's a big game but I don't think it's massive. It isn't 'season defining' because there's far too many fixtures still remaining and it's not like the race for 4th is as simple as 'us or Spurs.' Brighton (h) could easily end up being more of a CL decider than this one.

Maybe this philosophy could apply to any match but I'd argue that it's a 'bigger' game if we were to win than if we were to lose. To be six points clear of them with a game in hand gives us a very significant edge and reinforces our position as favourites among those chasing; whereas a defeat just leaves things in the balance and, in truth, would just be a case of an opportunity missed moreso than anything else. 

It’s definitely not the same kind of nerves when you’re playing in a relegation battle that’s for sure. Massive games are staying in the league I reckon. We wanted big games against other top sides at 4.30 on Sundays which is a far cry from where we’ve come from under the previous knacker. 

St James will be quality next Sunday. I have a sniff of a ticket so hoping I’m there.

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

Aye, can’t wait for this like. Have hated Spurs forever and it’s the sort of game we’ve all been aching for 20 years.

Howe said something along the lines of deafest remind you of what’s needed to succeed etc. A radged up St James and the players with a point to prove is a perfect combination. Kane is a match winner as Son can be but Spurs are brittle and they concede goals. Properly get at them and they’ll buckle. Have to start well though, no pissing about.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

15 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

It’s definitely not the same kind of nerves when you’re playing in a relegation battle that’s for sure. Massive games are staying in the league I reckon. We wanted big games against other top sides at 4.30 on Sundays which is a far cry from where we’ve come from under the previous knacker. 

St James will be quality next Sunday. I have a sniff of a ticket so hoping I’m there.

Sadly 2pm which will likely have an impact on the atmosphere too. But you are right.

Just now, Chicken Dancer said:

Sadly 2pm which will likely have an impact on the atmosphere too. But you are right.

Surely Villa showed yesterday that this shouldn’t matter? If we turn up and get after them, it’ll be rocking.

People shouldn't need to be pissed to make a noise. Nor should being pissed be a reason for a lull in the atmosphere. 

Ultimately, the team need to get at them, set the tempo. The fans will get on top of Spurs and the players should gain confidence.

It massively favours us that Spurs are on the ropes.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Aye, can’t wait for this like. Have hated Spurs forever and it’s the sort of game we’ve all been aching for 20 years.

Not sure how anyone can say they are dreading this. We aren’t at risk of disappearing into the depths of the football league if we lose. 

We are playing one of the top sides in the league at home with a chance to put us in pole position for a Champions League place. It’s one of the biggest games in the last two decades. This is the type of game Ashley robbed from us. Nervous sure, but I can’t fucking wait. 

Think this gutless Spurs squad has shown exactly what it's made of recently - lost leads at Soton, Everton and Bournemouth and Brighton should have turned them over too. Kane has strapped the whole club on his back and carried them all season from what I've seen. First goal is huge as always and I think we'll see a positive reaction from our lot. I think we'll win but I'd by lying if I said I'm not massively concerned with Son over the top/on the break. Next biggest threat to us after that is the ref/VAR bullshit.