Newcastle United vs. Tottenham Hotspur: 23/04/23 @ 14:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Is a draw that bad of a result really? Spurs have Man Utd at home & Liverpool away after us, a draw keeps them 3 points behind and still the game in hand. That would then make Everton away a bit of a free hit in my opinion on the night that Spurs have Man Utd, the following weekend sees our top 4 rivals playing each other (aside from Brighton) so they'll take points off each other (Villa & Liverpool winning looks preferential). In my way of looking at the Southampton game is the bigger one, as long as we avoid defeat on Sunday and then beat Southampton we're looking good. 

3 minutes ago, KDT said:

Is a draw that bad of a result really? Spurs have Man Utd at home & Liverpool away after us, a draw keeps them 3 points behind and still the game in hand. That would then make Everton away a bit of a free hit in my opinion on the night that Spurs have Man Utd, the following weekend sees our top 4 rivals playing each other (aside from Brighton) so they'll take points off each other (Villa & Liverpool winning looks preferential). In my way of looking at the Southampton game is the bigger one, as long as we avoid defeat on Sunday and then beat Southampton we're looking good. 

Not if you consider Spurs as our biggest rivals for top 4 it isn’t, however I see Brighton and Liverpool as bigger threats. Really think we need minimum 7 points from the next 3.

If you look at it from a pure points needed basis, this isn't must win. We could lose this then win five in a row and we'd probably finish 4th. It's the intangibles that matter. Momentum, pressure, knocking a potential rival out of the race, etc.  

If we do what we need to and hit that 70 point mark, Liverpool aren't a threat. There's only really Brighton who can realistically hit that total as well as us.

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If you look at it from a pure points needed basis, this isn't must win. We could lose this then win five in a row and we'd probably finish 4th. It's the intangibles that matter. Momentum, pressure, knocking a potential rival out of the race, etc.  

If we do what we need to and hit that 70 point mark, Liverpool aren't a threat. There's only really Brighton who can realistically hit that total as well as us.

Brighton have us, Man Utd, Man City,Arsenal & Villa as 5 of their last 9 games. They would need to win at least 3 of those and all their other 4 games to get to 70 points.

32 minutes ago, KDT said:

I don't think a draw is a bad result, just means less room for error when we come to the sides in the bottom half to get the wins we need. If we beat Spurs we can probably afford one slip up from those games.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Max points totals

Newcastle - 80

Brighton - 76

Spurs - 74

Liverpool - 71

Villa - 71

Basically it would take a collapse from a couple of teams and Liverpool being more or less flawless to qualify for the top four from here on in. It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely. 

Edited by The Prophet

This is at 2?

Ah for absolute fuck sake, I'll be on a plane and landing just after three.

Thought it was gonna be absolutely ideally set up to get home just in time for kick off.

Sake :lol:

Kane will absolutely have his shithousery turned up to 11 for this one, snide cunt. Can't wait for him to pull some shit with zero repercussions 🙃

Edited by Elric

22 minutes ago, Elric said:

Kane will absolutely have his shithousery turned up to 11 for this one, snide cunt. Can't wait for him to pull some shit with zero repercussions 🙃

I wanted to like this but I really don’t.

Really wish it was 16:30 as I always worry with earlier kick offs that the atmosphere is lacking a tad. Given the magnitude of the game it shouldn't matter, but it does tend to at St James.

If we play like we did against Man Utd at home then we should batter these. They're vulnerable, boring and frankly a mess. I have a feeling the crowd will be nervy if we give away a few chances but we really need to back them for the 90 minutes. An early goal and I see these crumbling.

Massive 7 days. We will have a much better picture at 19:00 on 30/04. 7 across the 3 should see us right.

It sounds like they'll be more or less unchanged with Tanganga or Davies (if he's fit) coming in for Sanchez at RCB. 

They're getting quite a lot of stick for being predictable, with Son and Kulu playing with too much rigidity in behind Kane. Despite that, they still have a lot of quality in the final third and given our recent defensive mishaps, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they scored. Amusingly when they were going for it against Bournemouth, they went for a mad 3-3-4 with Kane in centre mid, bizarre. 

Spurs problem is at the back, they've been a mess. After a great start Romero is making errors and while Dier is a good leader, he's also prone to an individual lapse. While showing quality going forward, neither wing back seems particularly interested in coming back with Porro having a bit of a nightmare start to his time in the PL.

Spurs are another side who insist on playing it out from the back, even though they aren't particularly good at it. While the stand in manager hasn't shown much flexibility, if he has any sense he'll be asking Lloris to bypass the press with a big diagonal over to Son to get him isolated v Trippier. 

Spurs are a dangerous side for sure, but given their defensive problems and the toxicity around the club at the moment, if the crowd and the team get into them early I can see it being a rough afternoon for them. Even if Kane gets his biannual helping against us, the intensity of our press should overwhelm that at the back: 2-1.

Edited by The Prophet

3 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

With the duo of Coote and Kane they're pretty much nailed on to get a penalty, we'll need to score at least 2 to win this.

He gave them a penalty at Goodison, but I think that was pretty nailed on.